Something I Noticed When I Was In The Usa

HugUrPup

I would love for Australia to be that dog-friendly...we take Wilbur for a puppycino brunch every Saturday morning at our local cafe; they welcome furry friends outside. The only other places that i can take him with me have been Adelaide Dog, PetStock and Mile End BBQ's Galore.

Whilst i really love taking Wilbur out and wish there were more places that i could take him, there is an element that i don't enjoy: other owners who take their aggressive dogs out in public. We've been charged by two aggressive dogs in the past 3 months. Once when we were walking past our usual cafe and a very old German Shepherd growled and lunged at Wilbur and another time when we were sitting having brunch and a small dog walking past with its owner growled and lunged at us.

I also don't like being approached by other dog owners who have their dogs with them and seem to think it's okay for their dog to come into our space. Quite a number of owners have been very put-out when i ask them to pull their dog away. There seems to be a general assumption that because their dog is friendly, that it's okay for them to lunge forward to us. I was recently put in between Wilbur and a German Shepherd at our cafe; i wasn't at all comfortable and asked them to pull their dog away. They got very pissy at me. I don't think a public place like an outdoor cafe is at all a safe or appropriate place to introduce two dogs to each other especially when i am standing between the two of them without being given any opportunity to get away if things turn ugly.

For me, taking my dog out in public also entails an element of respect: eg respecting other people's and their dogs space, asking to pat someone's dog, making sure my dog is not aggressive around other dogs, making sure my dog is trained, picking up after my dog, keeping my dog on an appropriate length lead in 'on-lead' areas and respecting others' right not to be bothered by my dog etc. I don't come across many people 'in real life' (as opposed to DOL) that extend the respect to me, that i afford them when out and about in public.

Perhaps it's about education regarding pets in public for both those who take their pets out in public and those in public without pets. At this point in time IMHO, it's both sides that need educating. I come across both dogs and owners who behave irresponsibly or inappropriately in public just as much as i come across people in public without pets who behave irresponsibly/inappropriately around pets and their owners. As i said, i'd love for Australia to be more pet-friendly in public areas, but i'm not convinced we're ready for it at this point in time and i'm not a fan of making change without appropriate prior preparation; it can be a recipe for disaster.

Miss23, my eldest daughter, now lives in Berlin and recently said to me that i'd love how dog-friendly Berlin is but i'd hate the large amount of dog excrement left in public places. Her words were, "There's dogsh*t everywhere...even all over the footpath." YUK :( Whilst there are lots of example of how dogs in public places can work well, i don't think Berlin is one of them by the sounds of what Miss23 has said :(

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweden is the same, very very doggy friendly even in cafe's & restaurants :D ,

My Annie the tibbie was imported from Sweden. So I was a bit interested in the Swedish attitude to dogs. I found that they pride themselves of caring very much for their dogs as part of the family... & don't tend to have the big stray/homeless problem. So the Swedes have a rescue dog service where they save homeless dogs from Ireland where there's a much bigger problem.

http://www.hundarutanhem.se/English/A-presentation/

They probably don't want to put up signs saying "No bogans and their feral dogs allowed" so make it into a blanket rule biggrin.gif

I think it's people who don't put effort into training their dogs that ruin it for us who expect more from our dogs & put the time into training them to behave in public! :)

Thoughtful and friendly inn keepers.:)

Councils in Sydney couldnt handle dogs in outside seating areas of cafes.:confused:

I haven't find this to be the case at all. We regularly have our dog at outdoor seating in cafes & pubs in the inner city. She has always been warmly welcomed & usually provided with water.

And I have taken her inside shops (after asking) often too. Generally if it's not a food based business I will ask. About 80% of places are fine with it. I don't feel bad about those that aren't, & will just return another time when I don't have the dog.

Most sydney councils choose to turn a blind eye to dogs outside cafes. Those that didnt soon changed their minds after angry campaigns by dog owning residents.

I dont find my dog restricted much at all & to be honest, I have more problem with friends & family members who don't like dogs.

Edited by dee lee

Australian accommodation places are actually pretty welcoming. We have 9 dogs (2 small, 7 medium) and have travelled all over the lower half of Australia with no issues whatsoever. We also regularly stay in motels with them for agility trials and most places are more than happy for them to be in the rooms etc and have fenced running yards and dog runs for if you want to duck to the shops. There are 2 places I know of in Queanbeyan where dogs are permitted in rooms, pretty sure on beds etc and one even had a swimming pool that the dogs were allowed to swim in. Never needed to stay there ourselves obviously, but many triallers stay there for Canberra agility trials.

Miss23, my eldest daughter, now lives in Berlin and recently said to me that i'd love how dog-friendly Berlin is but i'd hate the large amount of dog excrement left in public places. Her words were, "There's dogsh*t everywhere...even all over the footpath." YUK :( Whilst there are lots of example of how dogs in public places can work well, i don't think Berlin is one of them by the sounds of what Miss23 has said :(

I didn't notice any poop on the streets in Carmel lol they have collars with doggy bags attached.

Makes me want to move countries. I don't know of anywhere as dog friendly as what I have heard about the US and the UK.

I thought Europe was more dog friendly than both the US and the UK. Most restaurants we went to in Spain and France outside the major cities had resident dogs come and visit us while we were eating, but dogs are not supposed to be in food preparation areas in the UK. Impeccably well behaved dogs. It is more than where they are allowed to go, though. The attitude is very different. I saw lots of exceptionally well groomed dogs in Barcelona that were at their ideal weight and most were entire. Nordic countries might be very dog friendly, but it's kind of socially unacceptable to have a dog if you work full time. What's more, animal ownership is highly legislated at least in Sweden AFAIK. People here complain about the nanny states, well, you might not like Sweden... For example: http://www.thelocal.se/10716/20080326/#.UPvEvKFet9k I don't think you are allowed to crate dogs, and I have heard that you can be fined if you don't walk your dog.

I met an ex-pat (Aussie and Pom) couple living in Paris. I was telling them how amazing it was that dogs could go everywhere. They had a Dalmatian and said they didn't think it was that great and of course the dog has to go everywhere because everyone lives in apartments and there is no open space (as in zero) where you can let your dogs off leash to have a run or even train. Interesting perspective from the other side.

Every country has its good and bad. I'm in an area of the USA currently where I've never seen so many dogs used for fighting and protection. The neglect and abuse is overwhelming.

Makes me want to move countries. I don't know of anywhere as dog friendly as what I have heard about the US and the UK.

I thought Europe was more dog friendly than both the US and the UK. Most restaurants we went to in Spain and France outside the major cities had resident dogs come and visit us while we were eating, but dogs are not supposed to be in food preparation areas in the UK. Impeccably well behaved dogs. It is more than where they are allowed to go, though. The attitude is very different. I saw lots of exceptionally well groomed dogs in Barcelona that were at their ideal weight and most were entire. Nordic countries might be very dog friendly, but it's kind of socially unacceptable to have a dog if you work full time. What's more, animal ownership is highly legislated at least in Sweden AFAIK. People here complain about the nanny states, well, you might not like Sweden... For example: http://www.thelocal....6/#.UPvEvKFet9k I don't think you are allowed to crate dogs, and I have heard that you can be fined if you don't walk your dog.

We have been to Sweden (spent 5 weeks there) & have a few friends there that have dogs, my god they are better behaved that our kids today, but yes the laws there are a bit tougher. Our friends compete with their dogs in different sports, ( the ones we met were not show dogs) :D

When I came here from England 27 years ago I was amazed at how dog unfriendly Australia is. Same with cats. Despite all the rules & regulations it doesn't make for better owners or better behaved dogs than anywhere else in the world.

I don't miss much from England but I do miss taking my dog everywhere with me. At one stage I had a lead trained & incredibly trained in all sorts of things cat. He also came shopping with me & on the train sometimes & was welcomed everywhere.

I have a Finnish friend who lives in an apartment with her dog, a Samoyed. However their apartment living is very different to ours. Many suburbs in Finland are right across the road from forest. It isn't set out the way suburbia is here. So having a dog in an apartment might not be our idea of ideal, but her dog gets to go off lead and explore forest areas far more than my dogs do here.

I have a Finnish friend who lives in an apartment with her dog, a Samoyed. However their apartment living is very different to ours. Many suburbs in Finland are right across the road from forest. It isn't set out the way suburbia is here. So having a dog in an apartment might not be our idea of ideal, but her dog gets to go off lead and explore forest areas far more than my dogs do here.

It also seems a lot easier to find a pet friendly rental over there.

I'm friends with a lot of Samoyed people in Europe and many rent with a number of dogs with no hassles.

Most sydney councils choose to turn a blind eye to dogs outside cafes. Those that didnt soon changed their minds after angry campaigns by dog owning residents.

They don't need to turn a blind eye anyway, it's allowed :)

Companion Animals Act Section 14 (4)

(4) A dog is not prohibited under this section in a place that is a food preparation/consumption area if the place is a public thoroughfare (such as a road, footpath or pathway).

There's a little pet supply shop in Myrtleford called Under 1 Woof, that allows dogs inside. Sometimes you will see a dog being tied up outside and the owners come inside only to be told to got back and bring their dog inside.

Eastern Europe when I travelled there was fairly dog friendly all over. Dogs in hotels, under chairs in restaurants (or owned by the restaurant and sleeping by the bar), in parks, at concerts and in shops. I'd love to take Sully to Germany with me one day, met so many lovely dogs in dog-friendly places there.

Hate to disillusion. The US is diverse, and the places visitors / tourists go are no more representative of the US than the Sydney Opera House and Uluru are of Australia. Carmel is a bit like Disneyland.

I'm a dual US/Australian citizen and have weighed anchor in many ports, including Germany/Austria, Taiwan, and Brazil as well as East, West, Central, and South US.

Every place has its dog problems. Some regions in the US (Ohio, Pennsylvania) have serious problems with puppy farming. In wealthy, progressive parts of the West, the animal rights movement has made adoption from shelters the moral high ground and put breeders on the defensive. There are strong movements for mandatory spey/neuter in many places. Minimum wage in the US tends to be $7 to $8/hour. The poor can't afford pedigree dogs or decent vet care for their pets; many have uneilightened attitudes. Eg, I respect prong collars used properly, but it hurts to see an unattended pit bull in someone's back yard, chained to a pivot, with a prong collar around its neck while the family is off at work and the kids at school.

I'm now living in Gainesville Florida, a small city with a very large university. I feel like a freak cause I walk my dogs every day. I almost never see anyone walking dogs on the street. Dog ownership isn't very widespread. The best place to meet people who care deeply about their dogs is a wonderful dog park . . . for a few hundred bucks a year you get access to wonderful off-leash dog exercise area, complete with attendants who pick up pooh, places for swimming, more tennis balls and frisbees than you can imagine, and free use of towels. Trouble is, there are only a couple hundred members . . . in a city of around 100,000.

'Hobby" breederrs are having a hard time in many parts of the US. I'll bet that many of the pampered pooches you'll see in places like Carmel were purchased from large commercial dog breeders who treat dogs more as a commodity than as pets . . . or companion animals. Another large fraction will be from rescue operations that cope with the huge number of animals that are bred without planning and selection, placed with whoever will take them, and then rehomed through rescue operations when the original owners allow them to stray or place them in with rescues.

Edited by sandgrubber

Eastern Europe when I travelled there was fairly dog friendly all over. Dogs in hotels, under chairs in restaurants (or owned by the restaurant and sleeping by the bar), in parks, at concerts and in shops. I'd love to take Sully to Germany with me one day, met so many lovely dogs in dog-friendly places there.

Germany is generally 'tier-leib' (animal loving). But I doubt dog ownership numbers are above 1 family in 4. It's very expensive keeping a dog in Germany, and people take the responsibility about as seriously as they take raising children. (I lived in Leipzig for almost three years . .. with a dog).

Edited by sandgrubber