Teaching The Weaves!

I used guides with my last dog. 2x2 wasn't working for us as he is not really into tugs and the thrown food gets lost too easily.

I used a few sets of puppy pen panels (and a couple of green garden arches from Bunnings to complete the set.) Lured the firs time then just ran it at speed for a few days. It gave him no chance to get it wrong so his footwork developed nicely with speed. I then worked the clock for entries from everywhere and with me running in all directions or standing still. I made a point of rarely running along with him. As there was gates on it all, he couldn't get it wrong so his entries are really good. I then phased out the middle gates by putting a small garden arch next to the centre poles and slowly moved the gates back out of the way. Then removed the gates all together, leaving just the little arches. The full gates were left on the start and finish poles at this stage. After he was confident with this, pacing properly and maintaining speed and entries from everywhere, then started removing the centre arches. Move them out a little bit, then remove one. Then put it back again so he thinks that was easy. They remove 2 or 3 in the centre. etc etc. Eventually got it to where there were no arches in the centre at all, just gates on either end. Then replaced those gates with just one arch at eithe end, repeat again for speed and entries then removed those last 2 arches.

One thing I did without realising. I was restraining him by collar to build drive to the weaves and always said 'are you ready' then released him. His word for weaves is now 'ready' not weave. I just have to remember that when running a course.

I got one good bit of advice from a trainer I go to, she said don't start it at all till you know you have time to finish it within about 2 weeks. Otherwise you'll end up with issues. I did it fairly quickly and he seems pretty solid so far. Competing in novice this year so we will see. I plan on teaching my youngest kelpie in the 2 weeks I have taken off when my new baby yorkie comes home in march. Problem with my boy was that I got around to teaching him in the middle of winter when it was dark after work. I had to go out and find a ground with lights all the time so it did take longer than 2 weeks plus puppy fencing is a bitch to carry around as its heavy.

My friend who used this barrier method at the same time as me, used lengths of plastic garden lattice attached with shower curtain rings. Worked fine and is light to carry. My boy didn't see any difference between my metal puppy fences and her plastic lattice barriers. People do look at you strangely when you turn up at the park with a whole lot of garden lattice and little green garden arches though!