Encouraging Responsible Dog Ownership...

Roova

Lots of comments about all talk no action in the thread 'Article: Extinct Show Dog Breeders'. (The jist was people aren't buying purebred dogs anymore).

I said I'd get my hands dirty so I thought I'd put my money where my mouth is and start a document for potential puppy or dog owners. I was thinking it might be useful on websites like gumtree or just for the general public who have never thought too carefully about buying a puppy. Hopefully it doesn't put them off getting a puppy at all :o

I apologise for how long it is and I know there's valuable information missing and it's all a big generalised. I also know there's spelling and grammatical errors but I ran out of steam at the end. I haven't added info on recommended feeding, enriching environments or basic training etc. This thing could be pages long!! Im interested in knowing if the information is too much, not enough, or can it be used anywhere? If so where? The idea is to discourage purchasing from BYBers and to consider purebred dogs. For those not interested in purebred dogs, maybe it will at least make them consider there's more to owning a dog than falling for the first tpuppy they see. Maybe a better version of this could be useful through he council, in the paper, flyers etc I'm an outsider looking in so please go easy on me :o

If everyone keeps complaining from the sidelines about how the general public think then nothing is going to change, in fact things are probably going to get worse!

So you want to buy a puppy?

Following are things to think about when deciding to buy a new puppy.

You can save yourself heartache and buy a dog or puppy which will have a long and healthy life with you!

Why have a dog in your family?

A dog can be an amazing addition to your family. No matter what your mood your pooch is happy to see you! Go out for five minutes, come back and you may as well have been gone for hours with how happy your dog is to see you! Without speech they forgive your bad mood and they'll wait with you until you feel better. They give love unconditionally and the happiness in their lives comes from simply being with you. They can teach responsibility to your kids and can give them an awesome playmate encouraging outside activities. Getting out and about with your dog can allow you to meet new people and find new activities to enjoy. Joining a dog training club or entering the show ring scene can allow you to experience team spirit or even the spirit of competition!

Health:

Unfortunately indiscriminate breeding and lack of health testing has meant some breeds have health problems bred in to them. All responsible breeders should test their breeding dogs for known genetic problems! (It is worth knowing not all breeds of dogs have genetic problems which need to be tested for).

Most backyard breeders are puppy sellers simply looking to make a quick buck from selling a litter of puppies. In 99% of cases they don't factor potential health problems into their decision to breed and they probably don't even know the health problems exist! Some think the fact the parents are able to run around the backyard and are nice dogs it makes them healthy and an appropriate parent.

Buying a crossbred puppy does not guarantee hybrid vigour as some would have you believe. In some cases you may be buying genetic problems combined from both parents!

Health problems may include hip & elbow dysplasia, deafness, eye problems, breathing problems and skin problems. Some of these problems are not obvious in puppies, or even their parents until later in life where they can cause a huge expense and heartache to owners. Will the person you’re buying from know or care your puppies parents may have one of these problems?

One way to avoid buying an unhealthy puppy?

Responsible breeders health test parent dogs before allowing them to have a litter. They also ensure temperament plays an important role in the parent dogs before bringing a new dog into the world. Don’t be sucked in to buying a pup from someone looking to make a few dollars from breeding their pet! Some puppy sellers say their puppies have had a 'vet check' this does not necessarily mean future health is involved. A vet check just means at that point in time the puppy is ok, but the health of the parents should be of major concern to a new owner too. In saying this there are no guarantees, but you should do the best you can to ensure the future health of your puppy.

Why do dogs end up in the pound?

Mostly lack of training is the culprit or someone buying a cute puppy in a spur of the moment decision, without looking into the future. In some cases the cute puppy grows into a dog which isn’t so cute. In most cases adolescence has hit and the dog has started to test how much it can get away with. With no training their behaviour can become unacceptable to the family or the neighbours. Imagine how many human teenagers would end up in the pound with similar behaviour! It is so simple to apply basic training when raising your dog and it can make the difference between a dog which lives with you forever or a dog which you think is being naughty and you want to rehome it!

Don’t buy from a pet shop

In the main pet shops buy their puppies from breeders who have little care for the health of the pup or where they end up. They often keep their breeding dogs in appalling conditions, all for the sake of a few bucks. Responsible breeders care about who buys their puppy and will probably ask you questions to determine you’ll give their puppy a good home.

Why buy purebred?

Do you want a predictable temperament and look? Purebred dogs have been bred for a reason, sometimes it’s to replicate the job they used to do (or still do) or for their potential as a great pet.

Buying an ‘oodle’ may mean your pup will end up looking like either parent, this may not be a good thing! A purebred has both parents of the same breed and a pedigree of at least 3 generations. Just because a dog is sold with ‘purebred parents’ doesn’t mean it is, so make sure the breeder is registered and the dog has a pedigree to prove it.

Registered breeders:

Don’t be fooled by someone who is only registered with the local council. A true registered breeder is registered with a national body and has sworn to uphold certain ethics. Find a breeder who does appropriate health testing and who breeds for temperament as well as confirmation. You couldn’t start out with a better lifelong pet this way. The dogzonline forum is a great starting point!

Training:

Your dog, like a child, is not a mind reader. They cannot just know what you expect from them. It is your job to set boundaries and train what behaviour is acceptable to you. Training can be the difference betwen a dog which becomes a great member of your family and one which causes stress and is eventually dumped in a pound. Start as you mean to go on...don’t let your puppy do something you wouldn’t want an adult dog to do! Set boundaries and reward desired behaviours as you would a child and your dog will grow up with an idea of what is required from him or her. Make sure you give your dog appropriate exercise, you may have a large yard but looking at the inside of a fence all day is not considered an enriching experience. Give your dog regular training, or at least take him on good walks to give him something to think about when he's in the yard all day. This can avoid boredom and possible destructive behaviour. Be realistic and don't buy a breed where you cannot fulfill its basic desires. Can you fulfil the needs of an intelligent high energy dog? If not, expect destructive behaviour may be a result of boredom.

Environment:

Some breeds require a more gentle upbringing whilst they grow and develop. In general larger breed puppies allowed to run or jump from furniture indiscriminately may hurt growing bones , ligaments and muscles . This can mean unwanted trips to the vet. Be considerate of your dogs breed.

Edited by Roova

Hey Roova,

I like the way you think, I have only scanned it (and will review when I am not so exhausted and see if I can add anything further).

Every little bit helps, it is amazing how uneducated the general public are, good on you for trying to help :) :) :)

+ 1 Roova :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We are reg with our state body & our council approved a 5 dog permit on a small house block, all because of being a member of the state body & participating in the disciplines offered.

We have 2 dogs with ET's & those same two have RN tittles & a CCD tittle, our younger guys haven't started yet to compete, we also show occasionally :)

Most backyard breeders are puppy sellers simply looking to make a quick buck from selling a litter of puppies. In 99% of cases they don't factor potential health problems into their decision to breed and they probably don't even know the health problems exist! Some think the fact the puppies parents are able to run around the backyard and are a nice dog makes them healthy and an appropriate parent.

I dont think this is a point of difference or a 'problem' for buyers. It also presents as a numpty argument because all purchasers pay money for their puppy. It makes no sense to say byb are bad because they breed for money. You will miss your target every time with this. <It also infers having a litter and generating a profit is a bad thing, which is incongruous wrt 'breeding better'.>

What causes problems for puppy purchasers is the lack of knowledge behind byb litters. When money is presented as the problem, or making money, it loses the efficacy of the argument. Most byb are sincere in the good intention for their litter. most puppy buyers believe this also.

Edited by lilli

What causes problems for puppy purchasers is the lack of knowledge behind byb litters. When money is presented as the problem, or making money, it loses the efficacy of the argument. Most byb are sincere in the good intention for their litter. most puppy buyers believe this also.

Yes, well said.