Pre Anesthetic Bloods?

Remarkabull

Next Thursday Simi will be going to be X-rayed for hip and elbow scoring and I know I will be asked if I want them to do pre Anesthetic bloodwork on her. My initial response is no, it's not needed. I have worked in a few vet clinics and it was not something that was done and there were no major problems because of it. Is it really needed, or just another way for vets to make some extra money? Thoughts please :)

If Simi has never had bloods done before, its a good way to get a baseline and to check for issues to do with organs like the kidneys and liver which often don't show until its serious. Pre-anaesthetic blood tests have saved some dog's lives but for the majority, they just confirm that the dog is normal.

Ultimately, its up to you.

It is 'gold standard' so any vet not offering it before an anaesthetic could be held accountable if there was a problem that could have been found on a blood test. I would be more worried about the vets that dont at least give clients the option than those that do- I tend to think about what else they have decided not to offer but thats just my opinion.

You have to decide the risk for your own dog- for young healthy dogs then there is less likely for there to be anything wrong. So it may not be a 'must have' for your dog.

I personally am very risk adverse so I have had bloods taken on 4 out of the 6 surgeries my dogs have had. But I also do yearly blood work after 7/8yrs of age with my dogs because I figure its cheaper to do that and treat conditions early than waiting for clinical signs and having to do more aggressive treatment.

I have never been offered the option. Our vets just do what is needed and do not leave the decisions up to the owner. Even better they don't use GA for hips and elbows unless necessary and if they do use it, the dog is quickly gassed down and just as quickly out of it and wide awake.

I would always get them done now after my experience with my dog with a liver shunt. Before she was diagnosed at 11 months you would not have thought there was anything wrong with her. If I had booked her in for desexing at 6 months chances are fairly high that she wouldn't have come out of the surgery.

I would expect a vet just to do them though. Unless they have been done for something else prior.

Our protocol is that it is offered with everything that needs anaesthetic, including sedation for grooming. If it is an older dog that we suspect has issues, we advise strongly to have it done. Anything over 8 is highly reccommended by us to have bloods done. In the end it is the owners choice, but if any of my older dogs were going into surgery, they would definitely be having Pre-GA's done.

Don't bother it became a fad when all the fancy clinics opened up.

Many charge & arm and a leg for it & make owners feel like there poor owners by not selecting it .

One of the worst offending clinics in our area for all this stuff is part of a chain & they are done right rude when you say no.

Used them once & the attitude from the staff was appalling because we said no .

Plus all the other added etras they insist on having.

We use to good old fashioned vets that you don't pay & arm & leg for ,you get all the bells & whistles if required & there more concerned about the dog than ensuring we are forced to say yes to pre testing

I find these same style clinics hand out drugs like there lollies & over treat to the max

I don't see it as an "optional" extra, I trust our current vet,that's why I use them, they are excellent and I never get the feeling they are padding the bill in any way. If I felt they were and I had the option I would change vets (again). I expect they will do what is best for the dogs and if they suggest pre op bloods I get them done, same for fluids etc. I imagine it is hard if you don't have a choice of vets but we vote with our feet and paws. I would rather any issues are picked up before the operation and my two seem to do better post operatively if they have had additional fluids etc.

There are many threads about this very topic in the archives so it would be worth doing a search.

We offer pre-anaesthetic testing for all patients undergoing a general anaesthetic and strongly recommend it for patients over 7-8 years of age. In other cases we may determine that a full blood profile is more appropriate and do this several days prior, or that a minor biochem is sufficient but not negotiable.

In the majority of patients, the blood tests indicate the patient is fine and do not change our treatment but it is not uncommon for us to find some change that either affects our choice of medications, treatment protocols or makes us decide to delay a procedure.

I don't agree with the thought that the vets should decide and just do what is needed. Just because a particular vet has done thing a particular way without complications for 40 years does not necessarily mean that what they offer is on par with currently accepted standards, but maybe they are. Pet owners need to make informed consent for treatment and procedures. We have the ability to test on the spot, therefore everyone is offered that option. If you don't wish to do it, or can't afford it then we don't do it - but the vets make informed treatment decisions based on the information that is, or is not known. Most of the clinical decisions we make have some degree of financial basis - it is very rare to be given a blank slate and be genuinely told to do 'whatever it takes'.

There are many threads about this very topic in the archives so it would be worth doing a search.

We offer pre-anaesthetic testing for all patients undergoing a general anaesthetic and strongly recommend it for patients over 7-8 years of age. In other cases we may determine that a full blood profile is more appropriate and do this several days prior, or that a minor biochem is sufficient but not negotiable.

In the majority of patients, the blood tests indicate the patient is fine and do not change our treatment but it is not uncommon for us to find some change that either affects our choice of medications, treatment protocols or makes us decide to delay a procedure.

I don't agree with the thought that the vets should decide and just do what is needed. Just because a particular vet has done thing a particular way without complications for 40 years does not necessarily mean that what they offer is on par with currently accepted standards, but maybe they are. Pet owners need to make informed consent for treatment and procedures. We have the ability to test on the spot, therefore everyone is offered that option. If you don't wish to do it, or can't afford it then we don't do it - but the vets make informed treatment decisions based on the information that is, or is not known. Most of the clinical decisions we make have some degree of financial basis - it is very rare to be given a blank slate and be genuinely told to do 'whatever it takes'.

I suppose that is the difference with out vets having mostly dedicated breeder clients. No one I know even asks the price for anything before it is done. Their prices are very reasonable compared to most vets anyway. If it is going to be be something very expensive (running into $1000s) the vet mentions it but otherwise the amount just shows up on the account. I probably checked the price for hip x-rays last time I had them done but if a dog needs x-rays, blood tests or surgery for an illness or pts, cremation, etc, they just do it and tell me how much it is later. Things are probably different with a new client but most of the breeders I know have used them for about 20 years so there is mutual trust to do the right thing.

It's great there is mutual respect and trust, but that is not what is expected by the various state practitioner's boards. Every time there is a bulletin or newsletter distributed there is invariably a reminder to fully discuss treatment options, outcomes and expected costs, maintain thorough clinical records and obtain informed consent prior to any treatment or procedures, because yet another practitioner has been hauled before the board based on a client complaint. Even if they have actually done nothing wrong, if evidence of these things cannot be produced or validated they will still receive at best a warning, if not a fine.

Thanks for responses :)

Simi is a young dog and has no obvious health issues, although she has not had to have an Anesthetic before so maybe this time it would be better to get it done just to be safe. It's not the money that was making me consider not having it done (when you're paying $600 for X-rays another $100 doesn't matter too much) but more whether or not a young healthy dog really needs them. She won't be under for long as she isn't having surgery but I suppose if she did have a health issue even a short time could be dangerous.

Lots to think about :)

It wasn't offered at the clinic when my husky was desexed, if it had been I probably would have saved a lot of money and stress as it would have shown up his liver issue well before he started getting sick. I would do it now with any dog that hadn't already been done.

I know of 2 dogs with early kidney issues and a few with liver shunts that were picked up early with pre GA bloods. Better to be safe than sorry, you just never know IMO

I feel the same way. Had it done with Pepper.

Thanks for responses :)

Simi is a young dog and has no obvious health issues, although she has not had to have an Anesthetic before so maybe this time it would be better to get it done just to be safe. It's not the money that was making me consider not having it done (when you're paying $600 for X-rays another $100 doesn't matter too much) but more whether or not a young healthy dog really needs them. She won't be under for long as she isn't having surgery but I suppose if she did have a health issue even a short time could be dangerous.

Lots to think about :)

OMG :eek:, $600 for hip and elbow x-rays is s complete rip off. Does that at least include the scoring as well.