Homemade Diet Help Needed

Kavik

I have got the green light from my vet to feed Diesel a homemade diet after he has had surgery for splenic torsion and had his spleen removed (see here http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/245254-feeding-after-splenic-torsion-and-removal/page__p__6078046__hl__%2Bsplenic+%2Btorsion__fromsearch__1#entry6078046)

So now I need some help with ideas on what to feed. The only constraints are that I am not allowed to feed bones, which makes it trickier, and no potatoes. Vet recommended 60% meat, 30% veges, 10% cooked grains (he suggested rice or barley).

So far my thoughts are go get some chicken frames or wings minced at the chicken shop if they will do that for me, vet said should be OK if the bones are minced, other types of mince, sardines, eggs, offal (vet said to cook first), pulped veges and fruit, do they really need the grains?

Edited by Kavik

The minced bone has me confused if he is not allowed bones? It is all the same once it gets to the stomach. I find dogs tend to grind bones up more safely themselves than minced chicken frames could ever be. I feed turkey necks because the dogs grind them up nicely, they are lean, there are no long sharp bits that can be swallowed and unlike chicken necks they are too big to swallow whole. Large hunks of beef, roo or boned turkey legs that he has to chew would be better than mince. Cook up pearl barley every 4 or 5 days and add some to the pulped vege mix. I also feed canned Alaskan pink salmon from Aldi and canned tuna but my current dogs prefer the salmon.

I had one dog who wasn't allowed meat or sardines for a whole year and she flourished on canned fish, eggs, veges, home made dog biscuits and dairy such as cheese, milk, cream added to meals. She had the best coat of any dog I have ever owned.

Edited by dancinbcs

The no bones is because he has had his spleen removed so the vet doesn't want anything that could potentially perforate things while he is still healing internally.

That makes sense. Minced frames aren't always very finely minced and can still have smallish chunks in them ... maybe for a while steer clear of them until he's more healed?

OH is a bit funny about buying some types of things online, does anybody know where I can get the Vets All Natural Health Booster in Sydney or is online my only option (which I will do if I can't find it somewhere else)?

OH is a bit funny about buying some types of things online, does anybody know where I can get the Vets All Natural Health Booster in Sydney or is online my only option (which I will do if I can't find it somewhere else)?

Hi Kavik, you can get it from Pet Barn at West Ryde - or at least I found it there a few weeks ago when I wanted to ensure that Lucy was covered during chemotherapy. :)

Animal Equilibrium - Helen is Sydney based and wonderful.

http://www.animalequil.com/index.htm

PM Vets All Natural on DOL - they will have Sydney suppliers.

My dogs are on the health booster and look marvelous on it.

Edited by Janba

My IGA minces up chicken legs for me- I order a few days in advance because its the last thing they put through the mincer for the day. I use it when I dont have time to supervise them eating bones and havent had a problem with it.

I know you were struggling to keep weight on him so here are a few of the ways I get around it.

I find I need to feed some form of grains purely for energy- it cuts down on my food bill and keeps a little weight on my gremlins. sometimes its rice although they really enjoy boiled oats atm. Yogurt and cheese may be another option to add in slowly (although I try and pick ones without added sugar and it will depend if your dog can tolerate lactose, but most do). I also use the vet all natural complete dry mix that I add water too as part of my dogs diet. When my dogs are sick they also get puppy milk, or human milk once again for energy- they only get a little but its an extra few calories that doesn't take up much space and is quickly digested. I am not sure if any of these would be contra-indicated in your case but some food for thought :laugh: