Marking Territories

DobieMum

I own 3 dogs, 2 Dobermanns a dog and a bitch and a Tenterfield Terrier female who's desexed. None of these Guys can decide who owns the place. I watched my Tentie go to the toilet. My male Dobie walked over to the spot and marked it, my female Dobie then came over sniffed for a bit and marked it, to which my Tentie (who had peed there in the first place) came over had a sniff and marked it again. What's hilarious is to watch my two girls cock their legs. My Dobie does the one leg and just looks awkward, my Tentie actually backs up to the spot and does a handstand to pee.

Our girl does this kind of half squat and cocks her leg at the same time.

My favourite is when we all visit my parents place. Jack lives there, so has to wee on all the places to prove it.

Then one by one, all the dogs go through and wee on all the places.

Repeat this several times, and I'm surprised every visit to my Mum's place doesn't end up with a vet trip for severely de-hydrated dogs!! :laugh:

My (desexed) girl will knock my (desexed) boy over when he lifts his leg sometimes to move him out of the way so she can lift her leg on the same spot :rofl:

So he only gets to do half his wee and has to go find somewhere else to finish because she took over. Often she gets pee on her head in the process lol

My (desexed) girl will knock my (desexed) boy over when he lifts his leg sometimes to move him out of the way so she can lift her leg on the same spot :rofl:

So he only gets to do half his wee and has to go find somewhere else to finish because she took over. Often she gets pee on her head in the process lol

Our old brother and sister chihuahuas (RIP) used to do that. She would squat and he would run over and try and sniff her and get in to mark and get peed on *rollyeyes*

This is pretty much exactly what I'm dealing with on every walk at the moment!!

Lola (4yrs old) does the half cock squat or fully cocks her leg. She marks territory and pees over Chester's pees. Chester is 2 years old and he still squats and doesn't mark territory. I have only seen him cock his leg once in his whole life and it was recently. Lola also tries to hump him which he hardly ever does. She is boss. Both were desexed at around 6 months of age.

I'm beginning to suspect that girls who will demurely squat are a rarity!

I've never had a girl dog that didn't cock her leg. Dory is by far the worst for piddling on walks and at dog parks she largely ignores the other dogs and spends her time watering the trees.

If the tree is suitable, she will even back up the tree so she can pee as high as she can!

Her latest trick is to drop on her belly and dig the feet in if it is an especially interesting smell that she might want to wee on. Amazes me how she comes up with new tactics.

Tarja's another who marks frequently on a walk if allowed, tries to cock her leg while squatting, and will perform a huge scratching display if allowed or off-lead. It's become even more pronounced now she has had a litter, and she now alternates which leg she cocks and raises it higher than she used to. My parents' boxer, an huge big impressive-looking male who was not desexed until well over a year of age, sometimes cocks but more often just stands there and lets fly, and refuses to pee if he's out walking. Doofus...

I'm beginning to suspect that girls who will demurely squat are a rarity!

I agree! :laugh: It's been a long time since we had a girl who didn't cock her leg :laugh:

We get the whole "all in" approach too - Feonix pees, then Radar pees over that, then Nova pees over that, then Radar goes again, then Feonix finds some more pee to use, and on and on it goes!

Eva - my 4 y/o desexed girl can be annoying on walks - she likes to try and mark everywhere - especially if its a nice pile of leaves. I don't let her though as it's annoying stopping constantly. Booker on the other-hand, my 8 month old entire boy, never goes to the toilet on our walk. He occassionaly cocks his leg at home but not often.

One time he did tried to pee on top of Eva's pee, but she was still going and he cocked his leg over her when she was still squatting! He got roused at for that and hasn't tried again thank god :laugh: