Grain Free Dry Food... Which Do You Think Is Best Value For Money?

westiemum

I've tried various grain-free for my itchy boy for some time now and come to the conclusion it really does not make a difference at all - and he has trouble with his anal glands so I think I will source something with a bit of bulk.

I looked at the new VIP grain free kibble but think they are a bit vague about the meat source.

Feeding something like dry baked or plain mashed pumpkin will help with the anal glands.

Might be worth a trip to the chiropractor to have his pelvis checked too. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Labradork

I've tried various grain-free for my itchy boy for some time now and come to the conclusion it really does not make a difference at all - and he has trouble with his anal glands so I think I will source something with a bit of bulk.

I looked at the new VIP grain free kibble but think they are a bit vague about the meat source.

I prefer to stay away from anything that contains by-products, ie. meat by-products are any part of the animal OTHER than meat! Yuck!

btw

Offal is considered meat and not a by-product of meat.

Edited by Labradork

I recently ordered some of the new Artemis grain free, but even at the introductory price it's still around the same price as TOTW and Earthborn for a large bag.

It will be interesting to see the price for Holistic Select grain free, given that the current anchovy and duck varieties with grain are more expensive than TOTW and Earthborn. I try to buy up in advance when they come on sale. I also like California Natural herring and sweet potato, but that's a bit more expensive too.

The VIP would work out cheaper, even with the smaller bags.

Yep I'll double check the VIP bag in the supermarket this afternoon and then give that a go I think - at least in the interim.

kayla where did you order the Artemis just out of interest?

I got it from the Natural Pet store here. Very quick delivery too. :)

Do you really need grain free or just a gluten free food?

Hmn... good question.

I'm absolutely sure she's very vulnerable to yeast infections ('doggy thrush' - black skin disease, marked increase in the itchies and yeasty smell after antibiotics, yeasty and itchies at other times. And many grains cause blood sugar spikes which can produce increases in thrush symptoms. The effect of the pizza crust was really obvious on Saturday night - up to that point she had only had her usual raw diet and a raw bone. So I suppose I'm tending to keep her completely away from anything with grains or yeast.

But open to other thoughts?

Edited by westiemum

Hmn... good question.

I'm absolutely sure she's very vulnerable to yeast infections ('doggy thrush' - black skin disease, marked increase in the itchies and yeasty smell after antibiotics, yeasty and itchies at other times. And many grains cause blood sugar spikes which can produce increases in thrush symptoms. The effect of the pizza crust was really obvious on Saturday night - up to that point she had only had her usual raw diet and a raw bone. So I suppose I'm tending to keep her completely away from anything with grains or yeast.

Gluten is the usual culprit with yeast infections but better safe than sorry I suppose. You could always try her on some left over rice to see how that goes.

Holistic Select have a grain-free version of their Salmon, Sardine & Anchovy formula, which became available in the US last November...

I'm not sure when it becomes available in Australia, though... I think it takes two years to get here/to go through our strict AQIS requirements (that's what they told me at TOTW).

I'm waiting for that one :)

Pookinuk are selling Holistic Select with $5 postage :) http://www.pookinuk.com.au/index.php/for-dogs/shop-by-brand-a-h/holistic-select.html

I recently ordered some of the new Artemis grain free, but even at the introductory price it's still around the same price as TOTW and Earthborn for a large bag.

It will be interesting to see the price for Holistic Select grain free, given that the current anchovy and duck varieties with grain are more expensive than TOTW and Earthborn. I try to buy up in advance when they come on sale. I also like California Natural herring and sweet potato, but that's a bit more expensive too.

The VIP would work out cheaper, even with the smaller bags.

Yep I'll double check the VIP bag in the supermarket this afternoon and then give that a go I think - at least in the interim.

kayla where did you order the Artemis just out of interest?

I got it from the Natural Pet store here. Very quick delivery too. :)

Thanks kayla :)

Hmn... good question.

Gluten is the usual culprit with yeast infections but better safe than sorry I suppose. You could always try her on some left over rice to see how that goes.

That's a good idea. Thanks HW. :)

Feeding something like dry baked or plain mashed pumpkin will help with the anal glands.

Might be worth a trip to the chiropractor to have his pelvis checked too. :)

Thank you - he gets a spoonful of pumpkin most days - perhaps not enough.

Not to highjack the thread but I am curious as to the connection between anal glands and chiro?

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your help. I have bought a small just over a kg bag of the VIP grain free from the Supermarket and will give it a whirl, mixing it with the last of the TOTW I have and see how we go.

Will report back in a few days! (The good thing is that I'll know fairly quickly if Sarah is going to tolerate it).

Edited by westiemum

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your help. I have bought a small just over a kg bag of the VIP grain free from the Supermarket and will give it a whirl, mixing it with the last of the TOTW I have and see how we go.

Will report back in a few days! (The good thing is that I'll know fairly quickly if Sarah is going to tolerate it).

Hope it works for you :)

Copied from a previous discussion on VIP

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

anniek, on 13 December 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

My only complaint about it - is that it should come in much bigger bags!

LOL, OK anniek I think I may be able to help you here or give you some hope.

I rang VIP foods and spoke to a lady about the product and this is what she said.

They hope to have the product in Coles in about 2 months they are negotiating with them (Coles) at the moment about stocking the product.

Also they are hoping to get it out in 8Kg bags but it appeared as though the supermarkets prefer it in small bags, could be something to do with space on their shelves I think.

Keep your fingers crossed that it may be able to be purchased at another supermarket soon and that may appear in 8 Kg bags.

Leo gets yeasty ears

We feed dog pro we have now changed to dog pro working dog plus. Has eggs and higher protein.

Dog seems fine. No preservatives often sold in produce stores in a 20kg bag 2 bags were $70. Lasts us over a month... With 6 dogs. Little jrts get 1/2 cup biggest Leo gets 2 cups, he's 70cm at the shoulders.

My friend put me on dog pro as she used to have skin issues with re huskies on Stupidmarket food. They also make 4x2 biscuits which are about a3 size and help slow down fast eaters.

Guest Labradork

Hi all,

Have heard back from PawsforLife - they plan to stock the Holistic Select Grain Free ' in the future' but not the near future - but will let me know when they do.

Anyone have any luck anywhere else?

Oooh, sounds good!

I will email the Natural Pet Store and ask them.

I also have the Holistic Select distributor's email address and phone number, if anyone wants it. I will go and find it.