Happy Year Of The Snake

snake catcher

Hi guys, I hope the Summer is treating you all well and your animals are safe and happy.

I have added a stack of videos to my You tube channel so please check out the action in the link below.

If you have any snake related questions, post them here or contact me privately and as usual, I will try to help.

Take care and stay safe.

Barry Goldsmith

Snake Catcher Victoria..

OK, I will post here as may be interesting for others I guess. Snakes are my biggest summer fear for the dogs and I know the more I know about them, the better I can manage it.

We have a snake here at the moment. It is living somewhere around our houseyard (about 1 1/2 acres - but I know the basic area it is in). I do know that we have a few too many inviting things here, and will be working through winter to help fix that (too many hiding places particularly under construction materials (pallets of bricks etc) and we have chickens - in the process of moving pens further away and into the orchard). We are rural, about an hour from Canberra, and we are surrounded by native grassland. While we can help to limit what is around in the longer term to make it less inviting, I need to manage this now and know how to deal with our current resident. And frankly I know that living with snakes will always be something I will likely have to manage here.

I am not exactly sure what type it is. It is brown in colour and a pic of part of the skin it shed in our herb garden this week is attached. It is about 4 foot long at a guestimate. We have only seen in close up once this year. It was basking near a garden bed when one of the dogs started sniffing it. My OH was right there with her and realised it was a snake. Snake did not act aggressively thankfully and thankfully neither did the dog (we do have one 'dragon slayer' and thankfully is was not him!). Snake took off through the empty dog runs and disappeared (I was more concerned with getting all the dogs inside and away so didn't see exactly where it went). That encounter was about 2 weeks ago. We have been checking around but have not seen it since except for the skin.

We did have two snake sightings last year in similar places. Again not agressive, but was a little smaller and was black in colour (no red belly). So wondering if it was the same snake??

At the moment the dogs are either inside or in the dog runs during the day and walked on lead if outside of the runs during the heat of the day. They are outside loose in the yard from about 4am to 7 or 8 in the morning and again from about 7 or 8 pm until late depending on how hot it is. I have done this in the hope that I am avoiding those times that the snake is likely to be out and about during the day. Any tips on normal snake movement/behaviour so we can 'cohabitate' safely much appreciated!

Or would it be best to try and get it removed?

Also tips on snake proof fencing. I was considering fencing part of the yard as a puppy exercise run (about normal farm fence height) and thought maybe it could double as a summer exercise yard that I could let them off lead in (but supervised) during the day. Basically a confined clear grassed area within the bigger yard. The design I was thinking of was to trench and partly bury snake wire all the way around, and at the gate to cement/pave the entrance and use a snug drop down panel in front of the gate a bit like this (have to get a ride on mower in so a permanent stepover not practical). Would this work?

Small-Dog-Kennel-Snake-Proof-Gate.jpg

Thanks for your expertise!

post-5072-0-46885200-1358035869_thumb.jpg

Hi,the wire snakemesh from Bunnings is great stuff, but,I personally think the holes are capable of letting a young snake in.

When using it to be really snakeproof, attach shade cloth to it as well.

A baby snake has the same venom as it,s mum, just less of it.

If a small dog or pup was bitten inside the mouth it could potentially be envenomated.

On hot days, snakes are active in the mornings and the eavenings. believe it or not, they take cover during the heat of the day.

Also tips on snake proof fencing. I was considering fencing part of the yard as a puppy exercise run (about normal farm fence height) and thought maybe it could double as a summer exercise yard that I could let them off lead in (but supervised) during the day. Basically a confined clear grassed area within the bigger yard. The design I was thinking of was to trench and partly bury snake wire all the way around, and at the gate to cement/pave the entrance and use a snug drop down panel in front of the gate a bit like this (have to get a ride on mower in so a permanent stepover not practical). Would this work?

This is a great idea.

Thanks! The times we have seen the snake has been middle of day/early afternoon but will be taking greater care at other times too! I hate summer - it is just so restricting and I feel like I am on a knife edge the whole time. Looks like I really need to get that yard built...

One more question. If we use the existing yard fence for part of the yard, trenching close along that bit may not be so easy. Will snakes push under wire if we clear along the outside of the fence, create a 'lap' with the snake wire and peg it down with tent pegs (on the outside of the fence) with it along that side? A pic of fence attached (from after it was erected there is more grass on the outside now). It has a lap on the inside with the existing wire so we cant dig down on the inside (of course this wire is not going to stop a snake). Or is digging down somehow going to be a must. I would rather not compromise the stability of the fence by digging beside the posts if I can help it though.

post-5072-0-55494700-1358039847_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

I'll be looking to purchase a house soonish (when I get my place ready for the market and sell it!)

I have seen a couple of places I like but they are surrounded by cane fields which I'm assuming snakes love - I think maybe more pythons than venomous - But I'd still have to consider the dogs and me!

I'd like to keep chooks but I think that is just inviting them

How far down do you have to bury the snakemesh and how high up is it requires to go.

Is it only pythons who climb (up into a high set Queensander) or do venomous snakes climb stairs and posts?

Snakes give me the willies and I am not sure about the year of the snake or what that means.

I have taken the life of snakes when my dogs or kids are under immediate threat though through your posts and education snake catcher I am trying/learning to understand these creatures.

Dont get me wrong, I will never love a snake and I had a totally stupid snake yesterday.

I am really glad that you are a memeber of DOL and I have learnt a lot through your posts.

You have a tough gig on DOL though Thank you :)

This is the Chinese year of the snake,..I meant happy new year but Im sorry for the loss of any pet.

Its not the snakes fault it finds itself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As a dog owner snakes scare the life out of me. I manage four dogs, to be honset and IMO it is not the fault of our dogs as they are curious creatures and prey drive is part of being a dog. If something moves my dogs are onto it and I think that is fabulous. My horses will move away from a snake and unless they step right on them they are pretty much ok (as I keep the paddocks short)

Snakes are a worry for dog owners at this time of year. The WIRES people said to me "snakes are damaged/killed/injured mostly by dogs" I agree, though seriously if the snake in my yard yesterday had bitten one or all four of my dogs I would have been up for between $3,000 - and $10,000. I can guarenttee WIRES would not pay the costs.

I know it is not the snakes fault and I do not want to hurt anything EVER though the snake in my yard came back three times.

If I was completely into snakes I would be working my backside off in trying to educate and support the public. By support I mean hands on support and removing/handling snakes if that is needed.

Scarlet, I have had an eastern brown and a tiger snake in my high set house. 8 steps at the side, 20 at the back.

A friend was bitten by a western brown. She was in bed, under a mosquito net, in a very high set Queenslander.

So, yes, they can climb.

1358062227[/url]' post='6086349']

Why are snakes protected?

Because they play an important part in our ecosystem.

Some snake species have become threatened due to land clearing for agriculture, urban development and through the introduction of animals such as domestic pets and the cane toad. Maintaining a high level of biodiversity is important to all life on Earth, including humans, and snakes are an important part of that biodiversity. In Australia, we forget that snakes and other reptiles make up a significant proportion of the middle-order predators that keep our natural ecosystems working. Without them the numbers of prey species would increase to unnatural levels and the predators that eat snakes struggle to find food.

Along with all Australian animals, snakes are protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992and cannot be killed or taken from the wild.

Scarlet, I have had an eastern brown and a tiger snake in my high set house. 8 steps at the side, 20 at the back.

A friend was bitten by a western brown. She was in bed, under a mosquito net, in a very high set Queenslander.

So, yes, they can climb.

Must have been some myth I'd heard somewhere and was hoping for some fact behind it.

So, yes, they can climb.

Must have been some myth I'd heard somewhere and was hoping for some fact behind it.

I've found them in house roofs!

1358062227[/url]' post='6086349']

Why are snakes protected?

Because they play an important part in our ecosystem.

Some snake species have become threatened due to land clearing for agriculture, urban development and through the introduction of animals such as domestic pets and the cane toad. Maintaining a high level of biodiversity is important to all life on Earth, including humans, and snakes are an important part of that biodiversity. In Australia, we forget that snakes and other reptiles make up a significant proportion of the middle-order predators that keep our natural ecosystems working. Without them the numbers of prey species would increase to unnatural levels and the predators that eat snakes struggle to find food.

Along with all Australian animals, snakes are protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992and cannot be killed or taken from the wild.

Yes they play a huge part in our ecosystem. No different from sharks who are just about extinct through finning and fishing. God only knows what will happen if sharks become extinct.

Caz, check out the documentary "Sharkwater" amazing photography and really balanced interviews.

You are a dog lover/owner and a snake lover as well. I have spent endless days and hours educating my local community re poundies. Trying to break down the stigmas and myths attached to anything is tough. I do not envy you at all, though if this is your passion then education and better support around here (Hawkesbury NSW) will make such a difference and OMG it is worth the effort as the results are incredible to witness.

So, yes, they can climb.

Seriously snakes can get over a metre in height IME. I have seen them do it. They can squeeze through tiny gaps as well, I would not have thought they could squeeze through the gaps I have in my brickwork as they are tiny, though the WIRES guys have said "no problem for a snake"

I know pythons quite often take up house in roofs and my son kept children's pythons -one which escaped and lived in the wall cavity for a few weeks so I've experienced them squeezing through very small gaps. It was only a small snake though.

I thought I had some distant memory of hearing that venomous snakes didn't / couldn't climb as well as pythons so didn't climb man made structures at all / very often. It might have been more about venomous snakes only climbing rough surfaces like trees rather than concrete stairs and plaster walls.

AS I said it must have been wishful thinking

Let's not lose track in this thread. I think it can be useful to learn about how snakes behave and what we can do to help keep our dogs safe. Learning what will work and what won't can be important and I for one appreciate the offer of help to try and understand them better so that we are not dealing with such an unknown.

I too would like to know how high the mesh will need to be to prevent poisonous snakes climbing.

Edited by espinay2