Confronting An Owner Mistreating His Dog

GSDowner

Early this morning I took my dog for a walk.

A man (perhaps in his 60s) was with his dog running off-leash

(the area is an on-leash area).

Anyway, the dog, an older cattle dog with a feminine name (so a female)

came up to my dog; the owner tried to call her. The dogs exchanged friendly greetings

and his dog walked away from us.

The owner came up to his dog and wacked her hard with his folded leash.

I said to him: "Oh, no, dont hit her!" He responded: "This is the only way she understands!" He laughed. I remarked that the dog will fear him and never love/respect him.

I was in shock, as you don't see nowadays owners openly abusing their dogs (unless reported in media). Last time, maybe 6 years ago I confronted a young man hitting a young female german shepherd.

I would be grateful if I could get some feedback whether anyone here has come across a similar incident and how you handled it

Many thanks

and have a fantastic Sunday

Edited by GSDowner

While a shock to you .. I don't think it classifies as 'abuse' . Old style training , for sure..and there are other ways ..but hardly abuse ,IMO , unless he was repeatedly belting her ...

What was the dog's reaction when she got hit?

You didn't mention it ..so I guess it wasn't dramatic ..

I probably would have flinched ..and just walked on .. :o

Edited by persephone

Hate it when I see anything like this. There is nothing you can do.

The only time I ever did anything was as a teenager. A crowd of us were in the park when we saw an old man belting the hell out of his german shepherd. One of the boys said he always does it. I ran around the back of the bushes & leapt out behind him & kicked him up the a**e so he fell to the ground. Stopped him that time but not advisable.

No advice for you as I am not subtle when it comes to this type of thing. Its upsetting.

They think its ok to so this, similar with children too.

I had a friend walk up to a man belting a few month old cattle pup years ago. He walked up with a $50 note and said I will give you $50 if you sell me your dog. Guy grabbed the money and drove away and my friend got his puppy. I don't think that will work for you, although.

Had this happen with a black lab running around at the beach, came over to say hello to my dog, so I got hold of the collar as they had been calling for it for awhile. Soon as they had hold of the dog is got smacked (for running off - rollyeyes man - ) so I just said, you have just told her off for going back to you, no wonder she is hard to catch!

Years ago, I was walking past the shops across the road from my place when a lab jumped out of a van to come and greet me (I was carrying fish and chips!). The owner came out of a shop that they were obviously doing work in, threw the dog back in the van and kicked it on the way in. I told him straight out that what he'd done was illegal and cruel. He told me to mind my ownn, so I noted his rego and business name on the van and called the RSPCA. I followed up on the complaint and was informed that an inspector had gone to the business headquarters and eventually had seen the dog. The dog had seemed timid and a bit sore in places but nothing severe so the owner was never prosecuted. I doubt that it stopped his behaviour behind closed doors at all but hopefully the fact that someone was disgusted enough by his actions to report him made him examine his behaviour just a little bit.

Depends on what they are doing and how I read them but usually it's incompetence and frustration rather than someone being deliberately mean. So if you can quickly and effectively suggest something that changes how they think about what they are doing, that is usually better than disapproval.

In that situation I probably would have said in as friendly a tone as possible "no wonder she doesn't want to come to you if you whack her when she does". Laying off the judgement is invariably in the best interests of the dog (unless you have 50 bucks and are prepared to take the dog home).

Edited to add - if it's a show or dog sport person, all bets are off. They should know better.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

The only time I ever did anything was as a teenager. A crowd of us were in the park when we saw an old man belting the hell out of his german shepherd. One of the boys said he always does it. I ran around the back of the bushes & leapt out behind him & kicked him up the a**e so he fell to the ground. Stopped him that time but not advisable.

No advice for you as I am not subtle when it comes to this type of thing. Its upsetting.

Good for you.

I had a friend walk up to a man belting a few month old cattle pup years ago. He walked up with a $50 note and said I will give you $50 if you sell me your dog. Guy grabbed the money and drove away and my friend got his puppy. I don't think that will work for you, although.

One puppy saved and that is worthwhile. Unfortunately the guy probably went to the pound (or the boozer) and bought another poor dog.

I hate seeing people hit and kick their animals - it disgusts me (and breaks my heart for the animal - if they do this in public, what would they do in private?)

Yes, it is horrible. I told a fellow off for hitting his dog (a lovely cattle dog0 and he threatened me and told me it was his dog and he would do what he liked with it. Unfortunately that is the attitude with those sorts of people. The dog is their possession to vent their anger and frustrations. They probably do the same to their children and women in their lives.

Depends on what they are doing and how I read them but usually it's incompetence and frustration rather than someone being deliberately mean. So if you can quickly and effectively suggest something that changes how they think about what they are doing, that is usually better than disapproval.

SSM, I think you are being too too generous with these sorts of people. I've seen it and I've seen their faces (not often thank goodness): just uncontrolled anger to my eyes.

SSM, I think you are being too too generous with these sorts of people. I've seen it and I've seen their faces (not often thank goodness): just uncontrolled anger to my eyes.

Some people are just arseholes, but with arseholes everything you do has to be tested with "is this potentially going to make the dog's life better?" If not, my view is give it a rest.

Some people are angry because they are frustrated with a problem they don't know how to fix. Like someone who whacks a dog who won't come back when they call. Explaining without lecturing that they're making it less likely the dog will come back next time won't stop everyone, but it does stop a lot of people. Yes it would be better if they were calm and patient, but most people aren't.

And as I say, I don't grant the same indulgence to people competing with dogs, because they don't have an excuse.

Unfortunately, by commenting/lecturing/pointing out a behaviour , the owner may then feel embarrassed and angry , and frustrated -

"It's the dog's fault that person pulled me up, and how dare they tell me what to do !"

and the dog's next hour or so could be quite uncomfortable :(

Pick your battles.

Yesterday when walking Cleo down to the river we were approached by a pug (offlead) while his owner was preoccupied (fishing). I tried to scare him off (stomp and loud "AH! in his direction) but that didn't work and I was getting worried because I've had Cleo very nearly attacked by smaller dogs. Eventually, while I'm still dragging Cleo away, the guy appears and tells me to kick his dog! Twice! I said no, I don't want to hurt him. He ran over and the dog tried to dodge him, Im guessing the boot treatment has happened before.

No actual mistreatment occurred in front of me, but I was a bit put out that someone would tell me to kick their dog for them!

Well, I got a confession to make. I used to smack my rotti's butt with a loosely rolled up newspaper when he gets all aggressive towards the mailman with his scooter. It doesn't hurt him (I tried it on my brother)but it does create a loud noise to distract him and turn his attention back to me. That would not be considered as abuse right?

Well, I got a confession to make. I used to smack my rotti's butt with a loosely rolled up newspaper when he gets all aggressive towards the mailman with his scooter. It doesn't hurt him (I tried it on my brother)but it does create a loud noise to distract him and turn his attention back to me. That would not be considered as abuse right?

Why aren't you training your dog not to react instead of hitting him?

I Hate to see it & I have witnessed it at our leash free one more than on occasion unfortunately :mad:( Just the other day I saw a women repeatedly smack & punch her staffie cross girl around the head & body

all the while screaming abuse at her :cry::mad Then picked her up & literally threw her up in the air & into the water. The poor girl was terrified !!!

I yelled out at her to stop but all she did was hesitate, glare at me, then kept going.

I walked home in tears..... Just upsets me so much.....

Had to edit: I would have loved to have said more to this nasty piece of work but after the glare I got from her I thought I may have been next. Or even worse, my dogs :scared:

I don't do anything aggressive very well at all. She was a very big 'thing' & I am on the small side at under 5 feet & 47kg's. She would have had me on toast.

Edited by BC Crazy

a women repeatedly smack & punch her staffie cross girl around the head & body<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);"><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">all the while screaming abuse at her :cry: :mad Then picked her up & literally threw her up in the air & into the water

Now, that is abuse. :(

You kicked an old man to the point of knocking him down?! :eek:

Teenager at the time or not I find that as disgusting as belting the dog.

Why aren't you training your dog not to react instead of hitting him?

I tried, I got someone in to take a look. My rotti REALLY hates the mailman. He's fine with everything and everyone one else but not the mailman. I think it might be because the mailman did some stuff to him while he was younger. He gets into a "I'm gonna kill you" mode only with the mailman. I tried almost everything, only the newspaper can snap him out of that aggressive mode. Probably because of the noise it makes.