Dogs Jumping Up

I have 2 dogs that are 5 and 4 years of age. I have never worried about them jumping up on me when I come home but its now becoming a problem. I have a 1 year old son who is walking now and the dogs try to jump on him as we walk in the door (all in an excited rush, nothing nasty). How can I train them not to jump on people?

I have trouble with this as when out in public, if they jump up people pay attention to them - even if I ask them not to. But at home - when they jump up they get no attention from me (not even to be told to get off or sit) but the second they get off they get showered in attention and treats and happy noises.

However, I have pugs they easily pleased. But that's the basic concept I use.

I find that teaching spatial awareness helps a great deal. Try a simple experiment- when your dog is calm and standing somewhere and you move into their space- do they easily yield to that spatial (not physical) pressure? Are they able to quickly and easily co-ordinate their body to move out of your way or do they bend/ twist/ jump up/ not move at all? If they can do it when they are really calm, can they do it when they are mildly excited? When you are playing with them?

To get the maximum benefit from teaching spatial awareness you can also (a) add a 'move' command and (b) as the dog moves out of the way, throw some food in that direction. If you have great aim, it's ideal if you can throw it between their front legs (so it lands near their belly) as they move backwards as you'll get an extra backwards step as they move toward the reinforcement.

Once they can do all of these things when they are calm- mildly excited it's just a matter of increasing the level of distraction. Gradually, and with a high rate of reinforcement. The important thing is to continue to move toward the dogs UNTIL they yield and move for you- ie, if you step toward them when they are excited and they don't move, don't abandon the exercise, continue to move toward the dog until.

In addition, another exercise i like is to simply manipulate food and/ or toys depending on the dogs behaviour. Hold the food or toy out of reach, as soon as the dogs offer a sit, mark and reward. The closer the food/ toy to their head the harder the exercise and the longer you make them wait, the harder the exercise- do these things separately first. Then once they show some reasonable self control, increase the distraction- move, talk to them, set it up where you come through the door and do the exercise immediately. This is a silent exercise- no command, just a quick removal of the reward when they make a mistake and jump up. When this occurs, you them immediately repeat the exercise and reward when the dog makes the right choice. You should be able to get in 5 reps a minute at least to start with.

My boy can get a bit jumpy when he's really excited. My Mum has been coming to let them in/out sometimes and she stopped him jumping completely by entering the door with her hand out in front of her and standing there with her hand out just above his head so she could catch him if he jumped. After a few days of doing this, no jumping! Might not work as well with a ltitle dog though, my boys head is at waist height.