Advice For My Sister - Issue With Neighbour

Trisven13

Yes, def. set up a camera. When I was in a flatshare a few years ago, my flatmate had a beautiful and gentle German Shepherd (Ellie). She had access to get in and out the house but it was quite open, one side of the garden backed on to a park so I was worried about being burgled.

After that Ellie was kept outside, it was a pretty big yard.

Then came the complaint from someone about her barking all the time.

The rangers interviewed other neighbours and one of them said it was the children of the complainant who were tormenting Ellie with sticks, stones etc.

Sure enough, that's what was happening ...

The complainant was a nasty piece of work who used to yell abuse at me as I was walking Ellie (my flatmate never walked her) along on the lead - it was bewildering to be honest. His children also threw stones at ducks and other birds on the nearby creek, i guess he was bringing them up to hate all animals. :mad

Debarking requires a lot of work to be done before the proceedure. I've looked into it for a chronic barker I have.

Firstly a nuisance order must be placed on the dog.

Secondly all other avenues (behaviourists, bark collars etc) must be tried and proof of this given to council

Then a stat dec must be filled in stating all the above has been tried and failed, then they may ask you to try other things first, then they may give you the paperwork that the vet will ask for to have it done.

I then rang around looking at prices, SASH quoted upwards of $5000, another vet quoted $1000~. I still had to have all the above done first though :(

I've given up now, we've had behaviourists, we've done the collars etc and I still can't get council to place the nuisance order on her!

Good luck with it :)

Not here in SA it doesn't. Its quite simple here.

I agree that a video camera or some evidence that the dogs don't bark all the time should be attempted in case of more trouble.

Dogs inside when they go out.

Maybe a barrier fence so that the dogs can't go right up to the neighbours fence, in case he baits them, mentally or literally.

Or plot to get rid of the neighbour :)

My suggestion for your sister is to set cat traps on her property and dispose of the offending cats. Cats are not allowed to wander onto the proprty of others and cause a nuisance.

In the mean time she needs to keep a diary of the dogs barking and what they bark at. Take pics of the cats in her

yard etc. If council press on with a nuisance dog order she can fight it based on her evidence.

We've trapped every roaming cat that has come onto our proprty and caused an issue in the last 8 years. We haven't had to worry about them setting off the dogs for a good 18 months now and it's back to being peacefull

This comes up all the time and actually in many if not most places in Aus cats are allowed to roam and be on other people's property, and people do not have the right to seize them and take them to the pound, or otherwise "dispose of" them.

I am aware that some places to have containment or curfew laws but people need to check before they seize/trap/remove other people's cats.

Edited by Simply Grand

My suggestion for your sister is to set cat traps on her property and dispose of the offending cats. Cats are not allowed to wander onto the proprty of others and cause a nuisance.

In the mean time she needs to keep a diary of the dogs barking and what they bark at. Take pics of the cats in her

yard etc. If council press on with a nuisance dog order she can fight it based on her evidence.

We've trapped every roaming cat that has come onto our proprty and caused an issue in the last 8 years. We haven't had to worry about them setting off the dogs for a good 18 months now and it's back to being peacefull

This comes up all the time and actually in many if not most places in Aus cats are allowed to roam and be on other people's property, and people do not have the right to seize them and take them to the pound, or otherwise "dispose of" them.

I am aware that some places to have containment or curfew laws but people need to check before they seize/trap/remove other people's cats.

I know pretty much all of Vic you are able to trap cats on your property, I think even if they're allowed to roam, you can still trap them and take them to the pound. Might be wrong, but when I worked in a pound people did it all the time. I don't know about other states though.