Increasing Gait

clairnaye

I'm campaigning a young (13mths) pup at the moment, training is going very well outside of the ring, she will gait along side of me looking straight ahead at correct speed ect. But at the last few shows she has begun to gait a few steps behind me, not amount of squeakers or treats will entire her to go quicker. She is still wagging her tail and moving soundly just too slow!

Outside of the ring she quickens her step immediately.....very frustrating.

Any ideas on how to encourage her in the ring is greatly appreciated :)

Stop looking back at her? If you are rolling your shoulders to look at her, it's the best recipe for lagging that I know. The fact that she increases speed outside the ring suggests your handling changes. You may need to relax and let it happen!

Edited by Haredown Whippets

You sure she is running slow ??

Often older dogs set there pace better than they did as youngsters

Faster doesn't mean better :)

Have you video the dog in the ring to see what exactly she looks like.

Many dogs run faster outside the ring but it doesn't mean that gait is what you desire in the ring .

Other than that i agree maybe chill out & go back to puppy basics of fun .

One of mine moves exactly as fast as he wants to on the day. It can be very frustrating as he is normally content with a slow lope - and looks his best when really striding out.

I've had many very experienced handlers tell me I need to move him out more, to try this and that, and had a couple even take the lead only to find out that he will still do exactly what he wants to do. He might leap about or gallop if over encouraged or checked on the lead, then go straight back to cruise-along speed.

But his daughter started doing the same and I found that if I look straight ahead and run faster she will move to keep up, maybe she feels she is being left behind a bit??

Her dad probably doesn't care if I leave him behind... :laugh:

Thank u everyone

i think i my handling does change in the ring i get a little nervous still.will go back to basics with her and try not to over think/train her. Ive asked a few close friends who watch her in the ring and they say she is looking great i just feel she should be next to me and not two feet behind lol!

Next show in a fortnight will see how we go :)

Thank u everyone

i think i my handling does change in the ring i get a little nervous still.will go back to basics with her and try not to over think/train her. Ive asked a few close friends who watch her in the ring and they say she is looking great i just feel she should be next to me and not two feet behind lol!

Next show in a fortnight will see how we go :)

Get someone to video you and your dog in the ring. Works much better that having someone tell you what you and your dog look like in the ring.

If you don't have a video camera most smart phones can take good enough quality video these days. :)