Camera Goober Needs Advice Please!

Little Gifts

I have a lovely Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 with a 10x optical zoom. I've seen the photos other people have taken with this same model of camera but alas, in my hands the photos are no better than what you'd get on a cheap plastic camera at a wedding reception!

I have to start taking photos of jewellery and other small items that I will be selling for animal rescue so I need advice about lighting and when to use the close up function as opposed to just zooming in using the normal setting.

Where should the lighting be in regards to the item I am photographing? With jewellery should I aim for natural lighting or shine a lamp on the item? I'm assuming a flash would give a different colour image?

With close ups do you actually stand closer to the item or is it more about zooming in closer? See how much of a dunce I am? I don't know if my camera is supposed to be close to the item or whether just the lens setting does it!

I was also thinking a white background would be better for photographing jewellery? I don't have any white walls but I have a new white length of fabric and I was going to use that to create a set up to photograph against.

Any other tips for the stupid? I've read my manual many, many times and tried out all the oodles of special settings it offers but still my pics are generally epic fails (particularly concert pics, which is why I bought the camera in the first place!).

Apart from me packing the camera back in the box and giving it to someone who can actually use it, any advice, tips or things to try would be appreciated so I can make the items we have available look enticing.

Thank you!!!!!

What sort of jewellery do you photograph? The best thing you can buy are the stands to put them on - you know the dummies so they sit nicely and look like someone is wearing them?

Otherwise, yes white backgrounds are good. Something non-reflective like fabric works well.

Close-ups: do what works for you. Zooming means you have to have a steady hand or tripod. Being closer might work better.

Everything is experimenting, there are no simple answers and what works for someone might not work for you and you might not like what someone else likes.

Half the fun is playing ;)

Edited by minimax

Yes I have display stands for everything and I have a tripod that has never been out of it's little box so that's an excellent suggestion as I am a bit shaky!

The fun in playing is only if you ever get a decent photo - don't make me insanely jealous now!

Oh and the jewellery is mainly crystals and lampwork bead type of stuff so I'm thinking I don't want too much light directly on them affecting the true colours.

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

Yes I have display stands for everything and I have a tripod that has never been out of it's little box so that's an excellent suggestion as I am a bit shaky!

The fun in playing is only if you ever get a decent photo - don't make me insanely jealous now!

Oh and the jewellery is mainly crystals and lampwork bead type of stuff so I'm thinking I don't want too much light directly on them affecting the true colours.

lol the fun in playing is working out what DOESN'T work ;)

If your camera has a 'portrait' setting that should be the nearest to best of the automatic settings. Manual is better, but if you don't know the correlation between f-stop, shutter speed and ISO, then for the time being try with auto portrait setting. And use the tripod, that's the best favour to do your results. At first you will dislike it, out of your comfort zone, three left feet, too bad, persevere, once it becomes second nature you'll be seeing and feeling the difference it can make.

Don't go full zoom, do the opposite and get in a bit closer using your feet. If you try small jewellery on the Macro setting, same applies, go in closer with wide angle, not zoom. Using the tripod. If the camera insists on using the flash, put a very thin (separated) piece of kleenex tissue over the flash (not the lens) so it's softened and doesn't give blow-out highlights on the shiny bits. There are quite a few on line tutorials for jewellery photography.

Huga I cracked up when you mentioned the bath - ours is ancient and was probably white at sometime in it's life!

Possum I have simple mode, Intelligent ISO (WTF?), normal picture, macro and numerous scene modes (for night stuff, action, mountains, etc) including portrait. I have pulled out the tripod and I can also turn the flash off on all the settings.

So I guess I will keep trying all the suggestions and see how I go. I have a good spot on a big table on my front verandah where I will get natural light so I will set up the tripod and start experimenting!

Thank you everybody for the advice!

Yes the cubes are great Persephone, and the cube without the light kit costs less again. But the cheap Bunnings garage lights (with the yellow tripod stand) work well with the cubes. They give a good soft light if the globes supplied are swapped over to "daylight" which cost a little bit more. And they do run quite hot so needs some extra care or just awareness, especially if dogs are being photographed in the "home studio".

Edited by PossumCorner