Fire Warning For Nsw And Act

poochmad

Stupid people.

Our lovely Vet said at 4pm he's already had two emergency revivals of heat-stressed dogs, and sadly one cat that didn't make it. He expects more calls this evening as people get home to pets with not enough shelter, water etc.

That is horrible! I did not think people would be so thoughtless!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid people.

Our lovely Vet said at 4pm he's already had two emergency revivals of heat-stressed dogs, and sadly one cat that didn't make it. He expects more calls this evening as people get home to pets with not enough shelter, water etc.

That is horrible! I did not think people would be so thoughtless!

People just don't think. :(

Have been asked to post this here also:

Deans Gap Fire (Shoalhaven)

UPDATE:

Fire has crossed highway in two locations, the first as reported earlier is at the Jerrwangela rest area. The second area is 400 meters south of Sussex Inlet Road

There is fire currently heading into the Conjola state park, we must stress that this is a slow burn.

While Nowra and other areas may have only experienced a drop of a few degrees in temperature, southern coastal regions are experiencing drops of more than 12 degrees.

RFS is communicating hopes it will have the fire under control later tonight.

More info on Deans Gap:

Emergency Warning - Deans Gap fire (Shoalhaven) 08/01/13 21:32

Posted: 08/01/2013

A bush fire burning approximately 1.5km to the west of Wandandian in the Deans Gap area has burnt through 1,515 hectares.

Current Situation

An emergency warning is in place for the following areas: WANDANDIAN, BENDALONG ROAD, BENDALONG, NORTH BENDALONG, CUNJURONG POINT, JANUNG LANE, JERRAWANGALA, SUSSEX INLET ROAD, SUSSEX INLET, CUDMIRRAH, SWANHAVEN, MEDLYN AVE, BERRARA. A large bush fire is burning out of control.

The fire is burning in Catastrophic fire danger conditions and is currently between two and six hours from properties.

The fire is currently over 1500ha in size, and has now crossed the Princes Highway. Based on current weather predictions the southerly change is expected to reach the area soon.

The southerly change will cause the fire to head in a northerly direction and impact on Sussex Inlet Road within the next few hours. It is too late for residents on Sussex Inlet Road to leave the area. There are a number of firefighters working from the road and conditions are not safe to travel.

Rural Fire Service and Fire Rescue New South Wales firefighters are strategically deployed along the Sussex Inlet Road protecting properties.

The southerly change will bring cooler conditions however, the threat to property will remain.

The Princes Highway remains closed at Bendalong Road in the north and Wandean Road in the south. It is too late for people to leave the area.

Evacuation Centres are open in Sussex Inlet at the Bowling Club and the RSL. The RSL is capable of taking people with pets while the Bowling Club is not. These centres are open for people who have relocated due to the fire. At this stage there are no evacuation orders in place.

The following roads are also closed: Braidwood Road, Turpentine Road, Wandean Road and Twelve Mile Road

jemapple: Im getting my info off RFS Shoalhaven and RFS State sites, most of the time the local site gets the basic info out quick and the state site gives full details a bit later on.

2st is also putting out fairly regular and accurate updates aswell.

We still have a serious fire burning 13km east of Bungendore which has closed the Kings Hwy (main route south Coast to Canberra). Just as well the change hasn't come through on a big sea breeze otherwise things could be a bit tricky. There may be some DOLers in this area or trying to get back from the coast, so this is the latest from the rfs website issued at 2143h:

Emergency Warning - Sand Hills fire (Palerang) 08/01/13 21:43

Posted: 08/01/2013

A bush fire is burning in the area 13 kilometres east of Bungendore near the Kings Highway.

Current Situation

The fire is burning in the area of the Kings Highway near Timber Hills Road.

The fire has spotted over near Mulloon Road and properties may come under threat in this area.

Firefighters are working to protect properties in Hazeldell Road. They are experiencing difficult conditions, with winds gusting at more than 100 kilometres per hour.

The Kings Highway is closed at Braidwood intersection and at Bungendore.

Advice

People are advised not to travel along the Kings Highway as it is closed between Braidwood and Bungendore.

People on the northern side of the fire are advised they can still leave the area by travelling north up the Braidwood to Goulburn Road towards Tarago.

Edited by trifecta

Good news at the moment with the red flags being downgraded to yellow. So that's Deans Gap, Sands Hill, Yarrabin (fire near Cooma), Harden, Jugiong.

There appear to be some new fires: Murrumbily and Lithgow that are also yellow flags.

How is everyone this morning?

The Sand Hills fire near Bungendore started at Mt. Fairy (Sand Hills Rd) then came through the back country onto the Kings Hwy at Hazelldell Road. It crossed the Hwy & has spotted into the Mulloon. The Kings Highway is still closed this morning between Bungendore & Doughboy (intersection of Braidwood Road & Kings Hwy) though they are bringing in heavy machinery to build containment lines.

It was very cool here this morning, waking up to 13 degrees was blissful :D

Stupid people.

:cry: I have a friends dog here boarding. She is morbidly obese and very old, being a candidate for heat stress. As soon as I woke up yesterday I was on the phone to their vet asking if I could board her with them in their air con til the heat passes. She is still there, just off soon to collect her. I really dont think she would have survived yesterday here.

Actually Clyde that was something our vet mentioned, he's happy to take into his airconditioning as many pets as can safely fit on days like yesterday, no charge. Must keep that in mind next hot day if I can't be home.

Actually Clyde that was something our vet mentioned, he's happy to take into his airconditioning as many pets as can safely fit on days like yesterday, no charge. Must keep that in mind next hot day if I can't be home.

That's excellent, Katdogs.

Wow, that's nice of him!! I know this vet will charge me, but in the scheme of 'what could be' it will be worth it. You have a terrific vet :thumbsup:

Lots of activity here at Bungendore - sky is full of choppers & planes - guess they are bombarding the fire :thumbsup:

Wondering how people are going over Yass/ Bookham way, there is a bad fire over there, smoke is probably impacting on North Canberra?

Also members at Tarcutta, Jugiong, Wagga, hope things are better for you this morning!