Shameless Manipulation

samoyedman

Stan makes me laugh, he sounds like my kind of dogthumbsup1.gif

Yeah he is a lazy boy. He would actually live happily in an apartment or for someone that is retired. He is the typical lazy greyhound, happy to laze on the lounge with you all day. Maddie is a very active girl and loves going for a walk or throwing a ball in the backyard. Bless her she runs around by herself, throwing toys in the air, and she has a ball...while Stan watches...from the deck...he has no time for such frivolities :laugh:

Sorry to steer this a little off topic, but does anyone feel that dogs understand faking pain will result in cuddles and kisses?

Not in those exact terms.. they won't understand 'faking pain', but they may well have learned to connect lying on the floor or something with you giving them cuddles! Much training is based on the premise that doing something will get them a reward, so it's quite possible that if your dog likes cuddles, he will have connected some sort of behaviour that we interpret as 'faking pain' as something that will get him a cuddle.

Sorry to steer this a little off topic, but does anyone feel that dogs understand faking pain will result in cuddles and kisses?

Not in those exact terms.. they won't understand 'faking pain', but they may well have learned to connect lying on the floor or something with you giving them cuddles! Much training is based on the premise that doing something will get them a reward, so it's quite possible that if your dog likes cuddles, he will have connected some sort of behaviour that we interpret as 'faking pain' as something that will get him a cuddle.

I have known dogs to fake limps only when they see their owners watching, but the rest of the time walk fine. The second they see the owner watching ... limping again :laugh:

:o 'Round here, the more our guys 'ask' for things, the less it happens.

if they're asleep on their beds, I may invite them for a vehicle ride/swim/walk .

if they get enthusiastic and bounce around/gaze at me ..gaze longingly at the gate door on their own instigation .. .. it's "stay".

I am immune to big brown eyes .

Light hearted thread...not a terrible leader you need help thread *wink*

I have known dogs to fake limps only when they see their owners watching, but the rest of the time walk fine. The second they see the owner watching ... limping again :laugh:

how true...except they sometimes forget which leg it was and limp on the other side

Edited by Boronia

how true...except they sometimes forget which leg it was and limp on the other side

Yes, which is just so cute!

Absolutely!

Many years ago my grandmother had the most gorgeous black lab. He hurt his paw, but loooonnnggg after it was healed you just had to ask him "Oh poor Beau, have you got a sore paw?" and he would limp, limp, limp, over to the bikkie cupboard - usually limping on the wrong foot!

I usually get mugged once a day when the pupsaurs unanimously decide amongst themselves that it's time for their afternoon walk. I do usually go at roughly the same time, so it's unsurprising. Erik leaps into my lap and gives me about 30 seconds of INTENSE snuggling, clinging to my neck and kicking my laptop and flip-flopping backwards across my hands while I'm still trying to type. Kivi comes to me with ears pinned back and some item (like a sock) in his mouth and looks at me all sweet with his right-biased gentle tail wags. To be honest, sometimes I need them to come and remind me. If I don't have them declaring it's walk time I am often tempted to just work through. But taking a break to spend time with my favourite 4-legs is healthy. Their mugging behaviour makes me smile, and once they have told me that if I loved them I would take them out, they go lie down and snooze until I ask them if they want to go to the park. Then Kivi runs over to give me a big smooch on the face as if he just LOVES me for suggesting it and Erik runs around trying to 'help' me put my shoes on. He makes it harder. :)

Sometimes they decide walk time is 2 hours early today. What's with that?