Dog Bitten While In Boarding Kennel

Bisart Dobes

Just spoke to his owner. The owner of the kennel said to her "I can offer you no explanation". The kennel said to his owner that they have no record of any incident, no-one has recorded any injuries or fights etc etc

Thats it.

Just fantastic - a short single coated dog is bitten and not one person that owns it or works there noticed the punture wounds or blood or anything. They are in a place that he cannot get to so he couldn't have licked it clean either. I could see them from the fence 5 mtrs away when I first saw him. The worst thing is that he didn't receive any veterinary care for at least 5 days and the deepest one is now infected - and if no-one noticed then it didn't even get cleaned or have anything applied to it.

I am quite frankly - disgusted.

Totally. Absolute garbage on the part of the owner. He/she should be moving heaven and earth to find out what happened. Someone is not coming forward.

I hope your friends take this further. Five days without treatment. Was the dog even fed????

No mention of trying to find out what happened at all. I am not sure what his owners are going to do - we bred the dog, I wouldn't be letting it rest at that and I certainly will be doing the opposite of recommending anyone to this kennel.

At least 5 days without treatment :mad - if I did this as a breeder I would be charged with cruelty - the same with them as owners - I can't believe that someone doesn't know what happened. Their vet is a very well known influential vet and they are disgusted as well.

And the dog weighed 7 kilo's less when he came out of the kennel than when he went in. The vet wasn't impressed with that either - thats a big weight loss over a week.

Word of mouth is a powerful tool.

7 kilos in a week and they didn't notice a bite mark.

No one has looked at/feed glanced at this dog its entire stay. I'd be going to the RSPCA

Agree. That's a kilo a day :eek: That is horrendous.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't use kennels at all. If I can't get a trusted family member to look after them I don't go away.

This. If I can't get Mum to look after them or my Westie savvy friends (who were Macs original foster parents) to look after them then I don't go either. But I do understand that sometimes others have little choice but to kennel.

This is why the Kennels where I work we DO NOT allow other dogs to run or bunk together unless they come from the same house or there are special instructions ... yes it takes longer to exercise the dogs but its safer and we can safely clean the kennels without worrying when the dogs are hhaving their run.

Having said that though is it possible another dog got this boy through a fence or something? I know our indoor runs are solid so dogs cannot get to each other but if you head to the outside part of the run it is mesh. Just thinking if there was gaps or spacings in the runs walls that he could have been attacked through a fence.

As far as what they can do Id be taking photos and get a vet report and talk to the manager/owner of the facility and make them aware and re-explain about the fact that they did pay extra for solitude. If the kennels values its reputation then you'd hope they'd do the right thing but of course that's not always the case.

I hope everything works out for your dogs owners.

ETA: I just saw your last post FFS that's ridiculous 5 days without treatment is cruel also the weight loss shocks me, but not defending these guys but is the dog in question a fussy dog as we have some dogs who come in who take a few days to adjust and eat properly, 7 KG is a phenominal amount of loss though so I'd actually be questioning what they are feeding as it sounds like complete crap or he wasn't fed at all

Edited by smisch

No one has looked at/feed glanced at this dog its entire stay. I'd be going to the RSPCA

Agree. That's a kilo a day :eek: That is horrendous.

I agree, I have a dog who can fret and eat poorly in kennels no matter how well cossetted, her normal weight is roughly the same as a dobe and at her worst she dropped about 3 kilos in a week. 7 kilos for a dobe-sized dog is a huge weight loss, add to that the untreated injury and they weren't paying any attention to this dog, I doubt they fed it. I would take a vet report and complaint to the RSPCA and to who ever issues their license to have multiple dogs and operate a boarding business(local council maybe?).

Just spoke to his owner. The owner of the kennel said to her "I can offer you no explanation". The kennel said to his owner that they have no record of any incident, no-one has recorded any injuries or fights etc etc

Thats it.

Just fantastic - a short single coated dog is bitten and not one person that owns it or works there noticed the punture wounds or blood or anything. They are in a place that he cannot get to so he couldn't have licked it clean either. I could see them from the fence 5 mtrs away when I first saw him. The worst thing is that he didn't receive any veterinary care for at least 5 days and the deepest one is now infected - and if no-one noticed then it didn't even get cleaned or have anything applied to it.

Totally. Absolute garbage on the part of the owner. He/she should be moving heaven and earth to find out what happened. Someone is not coming forward.

I hope your friends take this further. Five days without treatment. Was the dog even fed????

No mention of trying to find out what happened at all. I am not sure what his owners are going to do - we bred the dog, I wouldn't be letting it rest at that and I certainly will be doing the opposite of recommending anyone to this kennel.

At least 5 days without treatment :mad - if I did this as a breeder I would be charged with cruelty - the same with them as owners - I can't believe that someone doesn't know what happened. Their vet is a very well known influential vet and they are disgusted as well.

And the dog weighed 7 kilo's less when he came out of the kennel than when he went in. The vet wasn't impressed with that either - thats a big weight loss over a week.

7kgs weight loss and they didn't think to call the owners?? not to mention the bite marks - appaling!!!

If the dog was fretting that badly the wonser should have been called and informed and then had a discussion regarding the best was to go about managing it ie different foods, hand feeding, puppy milk even.

Edited by OSoSwift

The only kennels I will trust our tibbies with (& before that, our shelties) has a vet on staff who keeps an eye on the cat & dog guests. They also have a Pet Space where you can get up- to -date online reports on your pet during its stay. Like how its eating or settling...or how any ongoing treatment needs are being monitored.

The only kennels I will trust our tibbies with (& before that, our shelties) has a vet on staff who keeps an eye on the cat & dog guests. They also have a Pet Space where you can get up- to -date online reports on your pet during its stay. Like how its eating or settling...or how any ongoing treatment needs are being monitored.

That sounds a very good kennel - care to share the name? As someone who has a dog needing regular grooming and occasional kennel care I agree these threads raise some very worrying aspects. How do you trust anyone?

This is why the Kennels where I work we DO NOT allow other dogs to run or bunk together unless they come from the same house or there are special instructions ... yes it takes longer to exercise the dogs but its safer and we can safely clean the kennels without worrying when the dogs are hhaving their run.

Having said that though is it possible another dog got this boy through a fence or something? I know our indoor runs are solid so dogs cannot get to each other but if you head to the outside part of the run it is mesh. Just thinking if there was gaps or spacings in the runs walls that he could have been attacked through a fence.

As far as what they can do Id be taking photos and get a vet report and talk to the manager/owner of the facility and make them aware and re-explain about the fact that they did pay extra for solitude. If the kennels values its reputation then you'd hope they'd do the right thing but of course that's not always the case.

I hope everything works out for your dogs owners.

ETA: I just saw your last post FFS that's ridiculous 5 days without treatment is cruel also the weight loss shocks me, but not defending these guys but is the dog in question a fussy dog as we have some dogs who come in who take a few days to adjust and eat properly, 7 KG is a phenominal amount of loss though so I'd actually be questioning what they are feeding as it sounds like complete crap or he wasn't fed at all

I've worked in kennels previously - mostly on the training side of things but still I know that dogs can stress in kennels and yes they normally do drop weight - Dobes normally aren't great in kennels, they are a very family orientated breed and they can stress alot. So I always tell our puppy people to put a few extra kgs on their dog prior to boarding them so that they come home their normal healty weight. This can happen and more often than not it does.

But this dog was weighed the week prior to going in to the kennel at 40+ kgs and was then weighed at the vet when treated for his injuries at 33kgs. Plus the kennel said that he was happy, no trouble, didn't stress and ate all the food he was given.

Thats it.

7kgs weight loss and they didn't think to call the owners?? not to mention the bite marks - appaling!!!

If the dog was fretting that badly the wonser should have been called and informed and then had a discussion regarding the best was to go about managing it ie different foods, hand feeding, puppy milk even.

We are the first contact when they are out of the country and the kennel said that he happily ate all the food he was given. Obviously it wasn't enough for a dog his size and or it was poor quality.

We are the first contact when they are out of the country and the kennel said that he happily ate all the food he was given. Obviously it wasn't enough for a dog his size and or it was poor quality.

Not necessarily obvious. Another possibility is that he wasn't fed at all. Given they had no idea about the injury, it seems pretty likely that the dog was given cursory glances, at best.

Poor dog. His owners must be feeling awful :mad

Holy crap- I did not even know that was possible in a 40kg dog! I have only seen weight loss like that on the Biggest Loser. So many questions about their practices... (thank you for PMing their name btw Bisart).

Thats it.

Yes I agree, if he happily ate all he was given then unless it was half sawdust he shouldn't ahve lost weight. Do the owners know what type of food they feed?

The parent legislation under which the code is made: http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt6.nsf/d1a8d8a9bed958efca25761600042ef5/e31cd32138c52d65ca2579750078f5bb/%24FILE/94-81a054.docx

See sections 59 and 64 in this document. Section 59 sets out penalties for non compliance with the code while section 64 also gives penalties for boarding establishments not providing adequate care including vet care. Basically the requirements are covered in two areas and made pretty clear!

Edited by espinay2

Thats it.

Yes I agree, if he happily ate all he was given then unless it was half sawdust he shouldn't ahve lost weight. Do the owners know what type of food they feed?

I am not sure if they were told. Most kennels state what they feed will have to check their website.