Does This Happen Often These Days?

I just had a puppy in for temp tooth removal (retained canine)and was offered a bag of fluids for the procedure. When I was nursing we never lost a dog during a dental to complications... I am never offered fluids at the dentist during the removal of my tooth? Where would fluids be lost sufficient enough to need this? Does the supply of a brief GA seriously require this?

Based on the 5 mth old pup being healthy, active & due to vaccinations etc... seeing a vet bi monthly I opted out. I can understand if VW etc is suspected....but is it just normal for vets these days to suggest this for all GA procedures?

Edited by redangel

One of my dogs went in for a dental recently and I was chatting to the vet about giving fluids, because I had requested fluids for my dog, and the vet said they now use fluids for nearly all procedures. I don't know whether that is normal practice at other clinics though.

My dogs have fluids for all their surgeries. The drugs used for a GA can affect blood pressure, blood flow to kidneys etc so a young dog can probably tolerate the disturbances to their system but I tend to play it safe just in case there is an asymptomatic problem.

My dogs have fluids for all their surgeries. The drugs used for a GA can affect blood pressure, blood flow to kidneys etc so a young dog can probably tolerate the disturbances to their system but I tend to play it safe just in case there is an asymptomatic problem.

This! Also animals recover from the anaesthetic faster when fluid therapy is used. At the very very least the dog should have an IV catheter in place so if anything does go wrong (anaesthetics are always a risk) one is in place to act quickly.

The fluids reduce risks of side effects of preop & postop medications help maintain proper kidney function and maintain blood pressure which are affected by anaesthesia and If there are complications during surgery, the intravenous catheter is in place for immediate administration of medications.

I always accept extra fluids for the dogs.

Years ago Ollie had a procedure and didn't get fluids (it was done at a different vets to our usual) and he was not a well boy recovering. When I asked our vet about it, he checked and said it was possibly due to him not getting the extra fluid and that he always does it because he believes they do better with it.

When we first got Zig, we also had Gussy (foster kelpie cross) and they were desexed on the same day.

Zig was done at my usual vet and Gussy had to go to the vet that the foster people use (understandable as he gives them a discount).

Zig got the fluids and Gus didn't - the difference in recovery was noticeable.

I always request fluids prior to the vet even offering.

I loathe to put my dog under GA at the best of times. To assist flush and cleanse I will do everything I can so I always opt for fluids.

I find it also aids in GA recovery. Many dogs feel nausea after GA and won't drink for quite a while themselves. I want to know that my dogs' organs are well hydrated.

Ok I understand why it was offered now as it wasn't explained. Though that being said I am not regretting saying no to the fluids for a small short procedure on a young healthy dog who was only losing a loodse retained canine. I have always opted/expected fluids for abdominal surgery or other invasive or lengthy procedures but I was a little surprised when offered it for such a short procedure.

Pup was literally jumping out of her skin when she got home (i think the brief sleep was the longest shes every been asleep in daytime hours!) ran to her chew toys and back to causing havoc & mayhem.

Thanks for the input, I like to know why things are done these days and I knew this was the place to ask!

FLuids should not be needed for healthy dogs who are having minor procedures. My young healthy dog had been allowed to drink 2 hours prior to having a superficial cyst removed, and was actually home again 2 hours afterwards and I discovered I had been charged $78 for IV fluids. My boy did not drink anything at all until the next day!