Lens Filters! What Do You Use?

Juddabug Whippets

With getting a new piece of expensive glass, one wants a good filter to protect the lens from scratches, smudges, dirt etc.

What do you prefer? There are so many choices and twice as many brands!

Do you just use a lens protector? UV filter? CPL? DHG?

What are good brands and which ones should be avoided? Marumi, Kenko, Hoya etc?

Anyone got a preference? Do you prefer to use nothing on your lens?

Happy to hear all thoughts and opinions!

MnDM

Ahhh the burning question, I use uv filters on all my lenses but not expensive ones. I've been told a few times no point putting cheap filters on as it won't do your photos any justice. I really need to fork out for some more expensive ones. I like the UV ones as it can just stay on in any condition. I don't use a lens hood so the filters for me are a way of also protection the lens from jumping licking dogs, (not always my own :laugh:)

Another good question is about lens hood, do you use them or not? I don't but again been told I should??

Brands of filters, I think hoya are up there, I've look at some really pricey ones. Someone said to me the other day, why have a filter on your lens to keep it nice to sell it on to someone else, you have insurance if your lens gets scratched claim it on your insurance!

Very true! Yes I use lens hoods! Always.... Doesn't stop long noses licking the lenses though!

As for filters... I have a Marumi UV filter on my 70-200mm f4... But have heard about if you use cheap filters it lessens your photo quality! I guess I need to take two identical pictures with and without filters to see the difference!

It's that age old question I guess!