Fussy Toy Poodle

Bling

I have had a few litters before but have never had any trouble getting my girls to hold their condition until now. my toy poodle has become so fussy and will only eat meat. i have taken to mixing in egg and biolac and do this 3 to 4 times a day (the egg once every 2 days) i have tried all her favorites but she just walks away. the puppies are as fat as mud and are nearly 3 weeks i have started them on some mush to help her but i am worried, she seems fine great mum, bright and happy, just not eating well, and looks "poor or very lean". i am feeding a mixture of different meats , chicken, beef lamb this she will eat but im worried that it is not enough goodness in it. any suggestions welcome.

I have had a few litters before but have never had any trouble getting my girls to hold their condition until now. my toy poodle has become so fussy and will only eat meat. i have taken to mixing in egg and biolac and do this 3 to 4 times a day (the egg once every 2 days) i have tried all her favorites but she just walks away. the puppies are as fat as mud and are nearly 3 weeks i have started them on some mush to help her but i am worried, she seems fine great mum, bright and happy, just not eating well, and looks "poor or very lean". i am feeding a mixture of different meats , chicken, beef lamb this she will eat but im worried that it is not enough goodness in it. any suggestions welcome.

when my little Mini became very ill and unable to digest anything she went onto a powder that is mixed with water to form a milk and is a nutrient supplement for lactating bitches and convalescing dogs 'Animalac" you can buy online and in some pet distributors. I also gave her the gel twice a day "nutrigel" and when she started to become interested in food again she only had cooked minced chicken with a small amount of rice given in small serves 4 times a day, it has taken several months now but she is back to good weight and no longer feels like a skelton and is of course back eating like a hungry hippo. I had hear fantastic reports about the satin ball recipe but she was unable to have all the different ingredients due to her gastric system not able to process.

Try soaking some puppy dry in boiling water & leave it until it goes really soft & then mash it in with the meat. More calories in the dry. Also get some Nutrigel.

Have you wormed her ? She will bounce back when the pups are weaned but its a worry.

A mix of meats is fine .. PLUS a CALCIUM source! Those pups will be dragging calcium out of her and she desperately needs calcium from soft /minced bones ..or a commercial supplement .

I am very happy if lactating bitches are lean at this stage ..it means that when I start reducing their food, and increasing their exercise, milk will dry up faster, and they will be happy to become active.

Can you get a minced chicken carcass mix from somewhere? That will give her nice bone and some fat :)

Will she eat sardines? They would be good for her as well :)

Thank you for your replys, The chicken she gets is already carcass and she will eat bones, but i will go out and get some that are very fatty, if i mixed in mushed up puppy biscuits she picks through and leaves most but does get a few. i have upped her calcuim intake and given her some nutrigel, and also added calcium to her water. I am not sure what a Barf diet is but will look it up. thank you again for your comments im not as worried as i was.

Sounds like a perfectly good diet for the meantime - mince chicken bodies have lots of digestible calcium. If she'll take a supplement too then that's probably not going to do much harm. Add some plain meat to the minced bodies, lean protein is very good at this stage of motherhood, and leave her be would be my advice. Too much mixing & matching is only more likely to make her picky.

If you want to leave a small portion of dry food with her at all times, she may pick at it if offered the choice, they can be so contrary at times!

I don't see anything wrong with her just eating meat. She will still be getting the required nutrition to produce milk and if she is getting the calcium needed as well leave well enough alone. sometimes the dogs know what is best.

Just raw meat is low in calcium, she needs bone for calcium. We currently have a fussy new mother and she is given Divetelac as a calcium suppliment, easier than calcium liquid.

Thank you again for your support the more i read the more i think all is well, i have added calcium to her diet and a little nutrigel. she is now eating some of the puppies mush which has puppy biscuits, i am very reasured by your comments and think she does know what she needs, she is not losing weight and as the pups eat more hopefully she will gain weight. Learning about satin balls and the BARF diet will come in handy at another time thanks again.

I don't see anything wrong with her just eating meat. She will still be getting the required nutrition to produce milk and if she is getting the calcium needed as well leave well enough alone. sometimes the dogs know what is best.

Just raw meat is low in calcium, she needs bone for calcium. We currently have a fussy new mother and she is given Divetelac as a calcium suppliment, easier than calcium liquid.

As she is eating minced chicken carcasses, she is getting calcium from the bones in that so all good.