Maremmas In Show.

Tralee

I don't understand tralee, are you claiming the CPMA are lying? It seems pretty clear that the judges are expecting to touch the dogs and they have devised tests specifically to address this issue. I still don't see the issue, the dogs you have been putting up have been awarded, and they have done so after being examined, so no discrimination there. The dogs from different LG breeds in Australia get awarded and handled by judges and I haven't seen any accusations of corruption or discrimination there either. Maybe you really do need to think about why you seem to be the only one who is having issues? Everyone has a few bad experiences during their show career but you seem to think you are being targeted? You say you want a level playing field, then train your dogs to be on the same level as all the other dogs in the ring :confused:

Edited by Reverend Jo

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand tralee, are you claiming the CPMA are lying? It seems pretty clear that the judges are expecting to touch the dogs and they have devised tests specifically to address this issue. I still don't see the issue, the dogs you have been putting up have been awarded, and they have done so after being examined, so no discrimination there. The dogs from different LG breeds in Australia get awarded and handled by judges and I haven't seen any accusations of corruption or discrimination there either. Maybe you really do need to think about why you seem to be the only one who is having issues? Everyone has a few bad experiences during their show career but you seem to think you are being targeted? You say you want a level playing field, then train your dogs to be on the same level as all the other dogs in the ring :confused:

Exactly

and why would judges unknown target Tralee ? It simply doesn't happen. Judges don't get up the the morning and decide at the show that day they are going to give someone a hard time and they certainly don't get together to single out an unknown handler and a unknown dog.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

I don't know what sort of Shows you two are attending, but I am fully conversant with the machinations of presenting Maremma at Show.

My experience ranges from: "OMG! A Friendly Maremma", to being nobbled by exhibitors behind me while waiting to enter the Show Ring who find it amusing to see the Maremma's guardian instinct in action. I've learnt to have eyes in the back of my head, and look far ahead both geographically and temporally when my dogs are away from home.

The thread is about the progression of Maremma at Show.

In Europe, they are winning BIS internationally.

I have posited two factors for the difference in this country.

The Italian dogs are far and above superior.

While Australian dogs have been improved over the past decades we have not kept pace with the Italians who faced similar problems.

The discussion around Maremma in Italy is lively and often heated. Debate centres around the direction the Breed should be taken and its true origins.

The issue with Judging and temperament, which I have openly exposed as the occassional deliberate exploitation of the dog's innate and inherent guarding instinct, was a digression from the awe, wonder and glory of these beautiful whites. Other than that, my dogs are fine. Winja has mellowed into a confidently quiet and tolerant dog while Flynnch likes being more active, is cheeky and prone to demanding attention.

I am hoping to get a 5 week study scholarship this year to visit Italy in person.

But we will just have to wait and see.

A couple for espinay2

The big Maremmas, .... erh! ... I mean Pyreneans. :laugh:

BANZO DE TODOBE - Best in Show in Valladolid National Show (Spain)

The first Pyrenean Mountain Dog winning the BIS in Spanish Championships history.

post-3970-0-24781400-1364206406_thumb.jpg

Després de la pluja: secat natural.

post-3970-0-95556700-1364206455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee

Pictures aren't much use without detail of who they are and what they actually won etc

The dog btw is Ch Banzo de Todobe who won BIS that day. The show was in Spain run by the Castellan canine club and at that show no CACIBs were on offer only CAC.

Which won't mean much of anything to those unfamiliar with pyrs or the dog in question.

Edited by espinay2

Pictures aren't much use without detail of who they are and what they actually won etc

The dog btw is Ch Banzo de Todobe who won BIS that day. The show was in Spain run by the Castellan canine club and at that show no CACIBs were on offer only CAC.

Which won't mean much of anything to those unfamiliar with pyrs or the dog in question.

Edited to suit, and a big congratulations to the Breed for its 1st BIS in Spanish Championship histroy

Edited to suit, and a big congratulations to the Breed for its 1st BIS in Spanish Championship histroy

First All breeds BIS in Spain (and a lovely win for them), though not first Pyr awarded a BIS in Spain (as they have a specialty).

Banzo BTW was also best male in Argeles at the RACP Nationale d'Elevage (the French National show for the breed) in 2012.

Pyrs are well awarded around the world, including winning Best in Show at Crufts and Best in Group at Westminster.

Pyrs have won and continue to win plenty of BIS here in Australia too, including in the past Best in Show at Adelaide and Perth Royals.

Edited by espinay2

I have mistaken Pyreneans for Maremmas at a Show once, and actually asked the handler walking them . :o

We will get our turn in my lifetime, I am certain of it. :)

The question is: How long and how much effort will it take?

Today was Maremma day and here are a few videos of the day

Dog challange was given to Chincona Magic Dragon at his first

show.

http://youtu.be/M9CRZ-ghA2c

http://youtu.be/aZfxJgCX9js

Thanks for that Linda.

Congratulations to Lisa.

It looked like a great outing with a good number of Maremma.

I am not making any comments about any of the dogs except to say that I liked the few who were 'alert'. Note, of course, that I am refering to temperament and not just considering appearance. I think Anna Albrigo makes a concise and precise example on how to speak about other peoples' dogs.

Even after rearing 80 Italian champions of beauty, 22 world champions etc. etc., I would never put myself at a table and spit judgments on other people's dogs.

She is amazing don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Great pictures, I wonder if Maremmas should be shown though? They are such a rare breed and the show dogs really look nothing like they should look in the paddock and the temperament is so misunderstood it seems. I watched the video and the commentators said they are breeding friendlier dogs. That's not what the maremmas are about.

Great pictures, I wonder if Maremmas should be shown though? They are such a rare breed and the show dogs really look nothing like they should look in the paddock and the temperament is so misunderstood it seems. I watched the video and the commentators said they are breeding friendlier dogs. That's not what the maremmas are about.

Yes these things concern me too. Most of them look too fat to work

In fact I thought the whole testing process was mad considering what the dog is required to do when its looking after its species.

All good if its just a test when its not on its own property on leash but I somehow its a bit of a worry that the working side and temperament is being disregarded.