Bindis :(

Does anyone else's dogs get bindis in their paws?

My boy Zeus is a horrible princess regarding bindis -- he lifts the leg up and limps around to the point where I think he's done a serious injury.

Since his bad allergic reaction to a bee sting last year -- he swelled up and passed out -- I'm highly wary of any paw injury because that's where he got stung.

Kirah on the other hand, has never had a bindi caught in her paw and they run around the same grass patches.

Would this be because one has softer pads than the other?

What do you do to prevent bindis? I don't think socks are a viable option somehow. :(

Mine all get them but Saxon by far the worst. I assume it's because he has a curly coat that gets tangled and the others have straight hair of a different texture (plus they're designed for running in grass to herd sheep).

Saxon doesn't whinge about them but the other day he collected a clump of about 4 in between 2 toes and just slowly limped around looking sad :laugh: Luckily i found them quickly because he was acting so weird and pulled them out for him. He makes it worse when he tries to pull them out coz he chews on them and matts more fur in *eye roll*. He grumbles while I pull them out then always wants to eat them, hehehe.

We have them EVERYWHERE at the moment. They don't seem to stick to Mosley but Lili is covered in them by the end of the day.

We have an almost nightly ritual of me pulling them all out. Mainly her back feet but also front feet, belly and pants, PITA!

They don't seem to bother her though :shrug:

Mine all get them but Saxon by far the worst. I assume it's because he has a curly coat that gets tangled and the others have straight hair of a different texture (plus they're designed for running in grass to herd sheep).

Saxon doesn't whinge about them but the other day he collected a clump of about 4 in between 2 toes and just slowly limped around looking sad :laugh: Luckily i found them quickly because he was acting so weird and pulled them out for him. He makes it worse when he tries to pull them out coz he chews on them and matts more fur in *eye roll*. He grumbles while I pull them out then always wants to eat them, hehehe.

So does Lili! Everytime I pull one out she ties to eat it! WTF? :laugh:

Our dogs learn from baby puppies to pull out any sort of prickle/bindi ;) maybe he just has to learn?

:rofl: .... My big *tough* RR boy limps, stops, holds foot up and looks up at me with a "what are you going to do about it? you going to save me?" look on his face. When the bindi is out, he's back off again hunting down lions.

Our dogs learn from baby puppies to pull out any sort of prickle/bindi ;) maybe he just has to learn?

:rofl: .... My big *tough* RR boy limps, stops, holds foot up and looks up at me with a "what are you going to do about it? you going to save me?" look on his face. When the bindi is out, he's back off again hunting down lions.

My Kelpies are the same :laugh: they are such babies about bindis!

Both my BC's are Bindi wimps here too. My boy is much worse than my girl. Sonny is straight away on three legs, won't move an inch with a very sad face, "help me mum" LOL. At least Stella will soldier on with a sad face.

Mine are the same BC. Stan does the ouch ouch walk then stops dead with the help me face. Maddie just soldiers on, she's a tough little cookie though...Stan is a sooky la la :)

Both our boys's are BIG sooky la la's stans mum ...

giggle :)

Trust our girls to be the bravehearts & soldier on regardless. Little miss tuffies LOL.

I had a rescue BC boy before Sonny for almost 15 years & he was as stoic as they come. He had been horrendously abused & almost starved to death before he came home to me. He was such a brave boy till it came to a bindi patch. He would just freeze if he got one in his foot. He'd drop to the ground, roll onto his back with all four legs in the air so I could pick them out. Just hilarious he was. Wouldn't matter if he felt one in the middle of the road over he'd go LOL without fail. Academy winning performance really :)

Edited by BC Crazy

• 10 months later...

It's that horrible time of year again -- bindi season and with the grass being extra dry, the bindis are hurting like a b*tch. Poor Zeus had a horrible one yesterday; it was a weird spiky round thing. I'm currently researching into dog booties for him.

He gets so hurt by the bindis that he tucks his leg up so high and it doesn't help that I'm extra paranoid lately because a friend's dog has just had cruciate surgery on her dog. :(

We get burs and grass seeds both horrible and hard to manage. We try to keep the Cavs legs and paws trimmed so they dont catch as much. Ours usually pick the burs out themselves if we don't get to them first. Just before i noticed after Renae and young Miah had been right down the backyard with hubby (where the burs are worse grrr) Renae was laying on our bed and Miah was sitting next to her pulling a couple of them out of Renae .. Never seen that before with another one picking them out of the other one.. Can't see where Miah has learn that ?

We do have a section that we close of from them when the burs and grass seeds are at their worst ..

We had bindis in our lawn when we first bought our house in Gympie, there were brown seeds everywhere so O/H got out the vacuum cleaner and vacuumed the lawn, worked fine :rofl:

We then killed the plants with feed and weed.

1356176182[/url]' post='6061400']
1356172908[/url]' post='6061349']

So does Lili! Everytime I pull one out she ties to eat it! WTF? :laugh:

laugh.gif I'm glad Hamish isn't the only one! Weirdo.

My beautiful grass I planted failed and now we have so many burrs, thankfully no bindis though.

Burr removal has become a daily ritual. Nova removes most of them himself, and they come out really easily where his adult fur has grown in. But he gets very upset when I have to comb them out of his puppy fluff and ear hair, he wants to eat them instead laugh.gif