Betadine Ointment Or Neotopic Lotion

Tara and Sam

JUst noticed a cut about 1/4" wide and deep on Tynka's paw pad :(

not bleeding , doesnt appear in discomfort with it

looks as though a day old

she was biting that area yesterday , but wiggly feet I couldnt see the cut as clear as I could just now

only things I have at moment are Betadine ointment or Neotopic lotion

What would be best

I am thinking Betadine to try first ?

Frosty cut her pad yesterday and it was bleeding and a nice hanging flap to catch dirt.

I put some aloe vera on it, I would have put the purple horse spray if I had it, and took her to the vet who put a dressing on it and wrapped it up gently - so as not to cut the circulation. he put one layer of bandage tape and one layer of blue tape with paw prints on it and recommended putting a baby sock over the bandages. And a freezer bag if we were going outside on wet grass/ground - eg morning dew on grass.

Baby sock 00 - 3 months fit perfectly.

Agony - two weeks of no beach, and no long walks in the park either. Argh.

And a diet. I've decided after three different sets of scales weighed 2kg heavier than mine at home - that maybe mine are wrong (tho mine weigh the same as the airport ones).

Dressing needs to be changed in 5 days.

Frosty cut her pad yesterday and it was bleeding and a nice hanging flap to catch dirt.

I put some aloe vera on it, I would have put the purple horse spray if I had it, and took her to the vet who put a dressing on it and wrapped it up gently - so as not to cut the circulation. he put one layer of bandage tape and one layer of blue tape with paw prints on it and recommended putting a baby sock over the bandages. And a freezer bag if we were going outside on wet grass/ground - eg morning dew on grass.

Baby sock 00 - 3 months fit perfectly.

Agony - two weeks of no beach, and no long walks in the park either. Argh.

And a diet. I've decided after three different sets of scales weighed 2kg heavier than mine at home - that maybe mine are wrong (tho mine weigh the same as the airport ones).

Dressing needs to be changed in 5 days.

Just a quick question MRB, do you know what the name of the purple spray is & where I could buy some online. It is just so handy to have in the first aid box. Thanks. Used it lots when I had horses. Do you think I can remember the name of it. Must be getting old LOL.

if she's not limping, and there's no sign of blood ..I would not be worrying . ..Pads take ages to heal , and the more you put on it, the more she'll lick at it , most likely.

Just clean it with saline after a walk , play ..and dry it well .

The purple spray is good if there is an open wound ..it also stains BADLY ......anything it touches .

if she's not limping, and there's no sign of blood ..I would not be worrying . ..Pads take ages to heal , and the more you put on it, the more she'll lick at it , most likely.

Just clean it with saline after a walk , play ..and dry it well .

The purple spray is good if there is an open wound ..it also stains BADLY ......anything it touches .

Ditto....exactly what I would be doing! :)

The best thing I have ever used for cut pads is "Flints Medicated Oil" - I have had it heal up badly cut pads (totally off foot / lame / not able to put pressure on) within 10 days and sliced pads within 4-5 days. And I am talking dogs back in the ring showing without lameness. Love this stuff and will never be without it - its good on cuts and skin allergies as well. If you can get it do so - its about $35 a litre and available at most horse / stock feed places.

Thanks for the replies

it looking better today

I never noticed it bleeding at all , even after she did it

so last night I used the warm boiled water with salt to clean and then dried and used the Betadine and a light bandage over it " just in case " it bled during the night on my bed

Takes notes on the suggestions so I can update my first aid kit

as sadly it has been lacking a up date for few years

Any other suggestions for a doggy first aid kit ?

Word of advice; don't use purple spray before you see a vet with a dog or a horse. It stains the wound and makes examination more difficult. Drives vets crazy :laugh: Ottoderm does the same job without the staining :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

That's what my vet said - it would make everything purple.

He was ok with the aloe vera treatment.

I guess there is a slight difference between a horse that doesn't usually come inside and sleep on the couch, and a dog that does. At least what carpet I have is dark red.

I might have to investigate the ottoderm or flints medical oil stuff.

Or just clean up any stuff she could cut herself on - tho the way things are around here - then she'd just find some broken glass at the park or the beach.