Is There A Greyhound Rescue In Brisbane?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

A lady I work with (nurse) is keen to adopt a rescue greyhound. She has owned large breeds before, a doberman X and a GS X.

She lives alone and does 3 x 12 hour shifts per week and is worried about the grey being lonely during this time? She has her heart set on a grey and I've urged her to go through rescue and not straight from the pound.

She would need it to be good with small kids as she babysits her grandkids often.

Does she sound like someone suitable for a grey and if so whereabouts do I point her?

GAP Qld would be my first port of call I think - otherwise Friends of the Hound might also cover Brisbane but I am not sure.

Some greys would cope just fine in this sort of home - I know my Patch is fine left alone and he is great with kids - very tolerant and calm - kids gravitate to him (but she can't have him laugh.gif). My girl Lilly wouldn't cope as an only dog though. Any good rescue will match a dog to her needs.

Guest donatella

Thanks for the links so far.

Yes I definitely suggested rescue to match a dog to suit her needs, obviously a lounge lizard would cope very well in this environment.

A lady I work with (nurse) is keen to adopt a rescue greyhound. She has owned large breeds before, a doberman X and a GS X.

She lives alone and does 3 x 12 hour shifts per week and is worried about the grey being lonely during this time? She has her heart set on a grey and I've urged her to go through rescue and not straight from the pound.

She would need it to be good with small kids as she babysits her grandkids often.

Does she sound like someone suitable for a grey and if so whereabouts do I point her?

The man next door who owns greyhounds, worked full time as a public servant. His greys each have their favourite 'day place' to snooze the time away. They used to get up around 4.30 pm to watch the driveway for him coming home from work. Then later they'd get a walk... more a leisurely stroll.

Those greys are perfect doggie citizens... snoozing the day away. They seem very self-sufficient, and sometimes there's only been 1 in residence as the others have been to the training farm. No difference at all in how the lone one behaves.

GAP or Friends of the Hound could advise on the temperaments of the greys they have in fostercare.