Starting Again

RallyValley

So a few weeks ago my house was broken into and my camera and a lens stolen. I'm starting again really since all I own is a Canon 50mm 1.8. I have a budget of around $1800 . For those of you into photography what would you get?

I am leaning towards a 7D but have NO idea what kind of lens to get. I like to shoot really varied things, the only consideration for me is that next year I may be breeding Zora so something wide angle might be nice to get puppy pictures.

Any suggestions?

Grey market or local shop prices? If grey market how about this combo?

Body only 7D - $1015, that's insanely cheap now :eek:

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Canon-EOS-7D-Body-Only-Digital-SLR-Cameras.aspx#.UMcbduSmip1

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - $792.00

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f4L-IS-USM-Lenses.aspx

I have to admit to not knowing much about this lens, but it's an L lens with IS and USM - a hunt on google/POTN should find out if any good or not :)

It sucks your gear was stolen, but shopping for new stuff is also great fun :D

Sorry to hear about your stuff being robbed, that sucks big time.

That combo CC has mentioned would be awesome and fantastic price! The wide end of that lens would be handy and also the long end for extra reach all in one would be great.

I've said it a few times in other threads the 7D is a big step up but worth it. It's fantastic for fast running doggies and would be awesome for puppies!

I'd suggest going through DWI as well and getting the 7D $1015 and the 70-200 f4 at $602 (the prices fluctuate alot, I've seen it in the $500's sometimes) and what about perhaps the little pancake 40 at $152

$1015

$ 602

$ 152

-----

$1769

If you got the 60D you'd have even more change. :D

60D $ 675

100m macro $ 483

70-200 $ 602

total $1760

I'll happily spend your money for you.

You'd still need a card and you might want to consider filters on the more expensive lenses to protect them, oh and of course a camera bag.

Edited by Kirislin

Has anyone price matched JB Hi Fi? I found this

Image of receipt was inserted here - but it was huge so I have deleted it.

and another receipt for JB Hi Fi for a 7D at the same price, for Australian product and being able to get extended warranty that's pretty good if I can get them to match that right?

Edited by RallyValley

RV my brother who is in the industry opted for the 60D over the 7D and while he has access to both through work he still thought the 60D was better and I know its one of the main cameras they use. Just something worth considering.

Thanks guys, I'm going to pick up my 7D soon :eek: I ended up buying from JB Hi Fi but I have to go into the city store to pick it up. I was guaranteed the camera is Australian stock and if you do some googling you can find out JB's Grey import business venture folded. I was really happy to get the 7D for $1250 locally - plus I have it right away and have no need to stress about the camera being held up in customs/not making it to Australia etc.

Now I am up to shopping for a new lens... I'm torn between the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM, the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and the Canon EF 70-200mm f4L. It was my telephoto that was stolen, so I don't have one to use and I do have a wide angle zoom that I'm borrowing from a friend, but it's a standard kit lens and I was planning on buying my own upgrade at some point anyway.

Do you think that no IS on the 70-200 will be a big issue?

I think go the 70 - 200 Monet&Divas mum has this and she has some awesome photos and says not having the is is not an issue. Kirislin has the 2.8 IS and said she never hardly uses the IS. I have a friend OS and he uses the f4 non IS for most of his photography his smugmug page is HERE if you want to have a look.

That's a great price for the 7D you will be wrapped. I think one of the biggest differences between the 60D and the 7D is the 7D doesn't have any of the preset modes the 60D has. Also the AF system and the speed. The 7D is like a machine gun! :laugh: