Kennels And Noise

cowanbree

I have a friend who has purchased a boarding kennel. The complex is relatively new and has 30 odd runs in a rectangle formation facing into an open air courtyard all within a building. No issues with the runs themselves, they are great runs but to me the set out leaves a lot to be desired. Any movement sets the dogs off barking and the noise is extreme. There are people coming and going quite frequently and obviously a large turn over of different dogs.

It is not possible to change how the runs are set out but we are looking for ways to reduce the noise. My suggestion is we put a visual barrier in front of the kennels, effectively fencing off the court yard. They would still hear anything going on but not be able to see it. I would be interested in hearing from other kennel owner/workers to see if they think that would be effective or how they try to reduce noise?

Not sure on changes you can make but when I worked at shelters you get use to the barking. I suppose you could put some sort of think of the front of the kennels to block view but then how would you see if they need cleaned?

One shelter I have done research with put in half door barriers - it did seem to help dog reactivity but it was a right PITA for the workers because they couldn't assess the dogs if they were right at the door.

Another shelter in the US that I'm working with has rather small pens in adoption (and lots of dogs) but the barking is not at all bad. The shelter director puts it down to the amount of exercise the dogs receive - they very quickly learn that pen time is for resting

Plants can be used for noise reduction.

L.A freeways used pig weed,I'm sure a bit of research could find alternative species that might also be able to restrict view in some kennels that could be reserved for more reactive/noisy dogs.

Limited opening hours which lessen the outside stimuli that sets dogs off, strange people/dogs coming and going. Quiet time from 10am 2pm for example and all the dogs then settle for the day. Dogs soon realise who is meant to be there so barking at staff does lessen, but generally every time you admit or discharge a dog and at cleaning and feeding times there will be noise.

the kennel i work at is completely enclosed and soundproofed. some dogs still bark at staff when you go inside, but they get to know what times plays and feeds are and dont go crazy when its not those times.

At home We built a 1.5 metre high soil mound and planted shrubs all along it to reduce noise (it bounces back into the kennel area) and also to stop the dogs in the kennels from seeing and reacting to the visual of other dogs and or people. It works extremely well and looks fantastic too We continued the mound all around the whole kennel block (along the front and all along the back) as it was a council requirement for approval of our kennels.

The higher the dirt mounds the lower the sound frequency needs to be to carry over it. So the higher pitched annoying tones are lost. But it's only really effective for acoustics if the mounds completely surround the kennel.

It would be worth paying for a consult with an acoustic engineer before spending up big on a solution.

I have a friend who has purchased a boarding kennel. The complex is relatively new and has 30 odd runs in a rectangle formation facing into an open air courtyard all within a building. No issues with the runs themselves, they are great runs but to me the set out leaves a lot to be desired. Any movement sets the dogs off barking and the noise is extreme. There are people coming and going quite frequently and obviously a large turn over of different dogs.

It is not possible to change how the runs are set out but we are looking for ways to reduce the noise. My suggestion is we put a visual barrier in front of the kennels, effectively fencing off the court yard. They would still hear anything going on but not be able to see it. I would be interested in hearing from other kennel owner/workers to see if they think that would be effective or how they try to reduce noise?

This sort of set up is extremely stressful for the dogs. A barrier needs to be erected down the courtyard effectively preventing the dogs across the way from seeing each other. As you say: any movement sets the dogs off.

Is the courtyard actually enclosed within a building or just a wall? If it is a wall, does the courtyard get any sunshine. If so, they could possibly plant fast growing bushes and make a hedge. If this isn't the case then a structure needs to be built. The stress on the dogs would be immense.

Thanks everyone, you have given me a lot to think about. Just to clarify the runs are within a building of kinds, from the outside it just looks like one huge shed but in fact the internal court yard has no roof over it. The runs themselves are roofed as is the connecting office block.

She is going to trial some visual temporary barriers. It certainly cant stay the way it is presently. The noise is unbelievable and I wouldn't board my dogs there where they are exposed to so much noise. Some of the dogs have gone hoarse from barking, they are so over stimulated.

Shadecloth coverings in strategic places on fences can reduce visibility quite well. Plus it can reduce snake access as well.

Be really careful with shade cloth, I came home to find one of my Staffies hanging by her arm ( or front leg).

She had jumped up on the shade cloth and got a claw caught, she twisted around trying to get free and just wound the cloth tighter around her paw. It was 4 years ago but I still feel sad when I think of what must have been going through her mind while she was stuck there.