Road Trip With Dogs

Podengo

Any tips for a summer road trip with a dog on board?

We are driving from Christchurch to Levin in January to attend a 3 day tracking/working trials seminar, then driving up the west coast of the North Island to Auckland, spending a few days with a friend there, and then driving back down to CHCH. It will be Elsie's first big road trip (she has gone as far as Nelson for showing before). Will do a bit of sightseeing on the way up and down so will have plenty of rest stops for her.

I want to get a fan for her crate, any recommendations for a good one? She is going to have to stay in the car while on the Ferry crossing the straight - would you leave a fan on in this situation (she might get stressed and hot?) or leave it off (it's probably quite cool in the ship?). She doesn't enjoy travelling much, she used to get very car sick as a puppy, and while she is over that, she would much rather NOT be in a car - would it be worth getting some DAP to spray on her bedding to reduce her stress levels?

Oh and yes, we will take LOTS of photos :p

Could you use the kennels of the Ferry? Asuming they still have them. If she does not like the car then she might get destructive, poo/ pee/ vomit etc. Especially if coming out of the Heads and across the Strait is not calm Maybe also look at putting rescue remedy in her drinking water? Leave her with a couple of treat or puzzle balls?

The trip is not too bad - you're looking 5 hours to Nelson, 3 hours on ferry and about 2 hours to Levin? I'd use the ferry waiting time to take her for a big walk/ run to tire her for the crossing.

The Auckand to Chch will be the harder section - are you breaking that up? I used to do Hawkes Bay to Chch by leaving 6pm, catching the midnight ferry, stopping in Kaikoura for a nap and getting into Chch about 9am and that was not a lot of fun and that was without a dog in the car.

Yeah we're breaking the Welly - AKL legs into two days. We drove from AKL-CHCH in one day when we got a car up there, such a loooong drive!

I didn't know they ever had kennels in the ferry, will find out! Everyone I know leaves their dogs crated in a car, or in a dog trailer. She has never been destructive with anything, but vomit could be an option.... Might put a tarp under her crate too...

Rescue remedy is a good idea! :thumbsup: She won't take a food if a car is moving/on, but might do in the ferry... Worth a shot... Maybe something frozen in a kong as that could keep her cool too...

If you use a fan (small 12V car accessory type one with a 12 volt battery pack/charger - here you buy them from places like supacheap auto etc) put it on the long side of the crate up one end so that the dog can get out of the direct airflow if necessary. That way the dog can move in and out of the cooler air as it needs.

Yep kennels on the ferry but down on the level where the cars are. Very noisy and freezing (least it was when we crossed in February). We had jackets on as wind was bitterly cold and Dog may be more settled in the car where it is familiar etc

We had a very smooth crossing which I am told is most unusual :)

We travelled all over Nth & Sth island NZ for 3 months with dog and had no problem, stopping as needed for toileting Him and us and all he had in car was a non spill water bowl and a rug as we had to travel light when flying over from Oz to Christchurch. Food was our biggest issue as he is very regimented in times of eating and we could not always accomodate that aspect.

We drove from Christchurch to Picton straight through having left early in morning stayed the night there and caught early morning Ferry over to Wellington arriving around lunch time, the cost was high(around $300) for car +2 adults and dog, Book online as it is a bit cheaper, arrive early to board(drive on) as well. there is huge park near the ferry terminal(In Auckland drive I think it was) where we were able to take dog for walk prior to boarding. After arrival in Wellington we took the route through to Paekakariki then over to Otaki,then levin around 2 hours I think it was. We stopped along the way at a nice beach area for dog run and eats etc.

Dogs are amazing and take everything in stride as long as they know their human is close by.