The Belly Crawl

Staffyluv

I have seen Ziggy get on his belly when meeting pups and younger dogs but today at the park, there was an older dog and he did it again. This older guy was a big dog - about lab size.

He drops and crawls over to them.

He doesn't do this with all dogs and I honestly had only really noticed it more with pups.

Once the intro has gone well, he gets up and is all for a sniff, a play bow and a look how much of an idiot I can be jump..

There are so many conflicting suggestions on Google, I thought I would ask on DOL..

The old boy we met this morning was just lovely.

He was calm, low slow wagging tail, really relaxed..

Zig is usually so excited at the sight of another dog that he can be a bit intimidating to oncoming owners. So I make him sit and wait but today he dropped and crawled towards them..

I am glad that he can be so gentle when meeting other dogs that are older or younger.

Mine do something similar to very young pups and sometimes very small adult dogs, I have taken it to be a way of looking non-threatening. Although they don't ever belly crawl, they mostly lie down or bow and lay their heads along the ground sideways at puppy level (they are rather tall, LOL).

Maybe with the old dog he was just showing he knew his place and wasn't a threat to worry about. Nice manners.

Edited by Diva

Frosty does the belly crawl so much she gets a rash.

Sometimes she does it cos it feels good. There's no other dogs around and I spring her half way through a crawl. I won't accept any invite component unless she does it on the beach towel I put out so she doesn't have to crawl on the grass.

She does it for people she likes - and when she arrives - she rolls over for a belly rub. Just wonderful when she was crawling on wet sand or mud. She doesn't notice/care what surface she's on much.

She also does it to greet in the most friendly non threatening way - other dogs in the park - no matter how big, small, old, young they are. She's corrupted a few puppies into doing the same thing. And it's hysterical when she meets a keplie or kelpie x - because they're both competeing to see who can grovel the most. Ie it goes beyond belly crawl - to rubbing head and cheek along the ground too.

Kenny used to do it when he met a small dog, or a child & then when he got close to them, he would roll on his back .

Cougar only does it when she is lying on the couch & is too far away from me to put her head on my lap. Rather than stand up & walk, she just crawls up to me until she's close enough, I put it down to her being a lazy bugger. :laugh:

Edited by mantis

Marlo (my Stafford) has done the crawl also. There was another Stafford at the vet last time we went who was a bit snappy so Marlo dropped and army crawled his way a bit closer. I just figured it was him being submissive.

I think it probably isn't submission in cases like this: I think it is more to put the other dog at ease and to show that they (the belly crawler LOL) isn't a threat.

I agree with you. It's amazing how some dogs instinctively know that if you're approaching a small dog, or child, that's the way to do it. People used to comment on how well I trained Kenny whenever he did it. They were astounded when I said I didn't teach him to do that, it's just something he did automatically.

I think it probably isn't submission in cases like this: I think it is more to put the other dog at ease and to show that they (the belly crawler LOL) isn't a threat.

I think you may be right..

Zig came across a gorgeous lab pup and he was quite scared, so Zig drops and does the big belly crawl right up to him.. As soon as the pup stepped forward toward him, he gave him a big lick.. Then it was play bowing all round..

Zig does it at the vets to when he wants to get closer to the vets cat.. Not that the cat is worried, I am sure she would put him in his place...

Frosty did it at the beach one time.

She was only about 4 months old - so clearly a puppy - people still mistake her for a puppy.

She went bolting up to this woman who was holding a baby and had a toddler at her feet - I was panicking - recall what recall? I thought she'd come when the kelpie she was playing with came back but that didn't have recall either.

Anyway about 5m out she dropped to a crawl and 2m out - rolled over - paws up. Which cracked all of us up. Huge relief all round.

I did go put her back on lead after that. Sigh.