Need Advice Please

wizard

hi folks i am in need of some adice

yesterday i had to put my golden retriver cross down she had the bigC also went deaf had arthritis in both back legs i did all in my power to save her but alas the vets advice was the best i just couldnt bare myself to utter the word yes

sorry i digress at home i have a malamute also 13 years of age and she is fretting bigtime i play ball with her talk to her walk her she is eating but not a great deal of food

my question is this is there anything i can do to stop her sliding down hill i just couldnt bare it if had to make the trip again they were are both 13 both females and were great buddies

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank you for a great site

cheers

Firstly, I am so very sorry for your loss.. I can totally relate as I lost my 14 year old Stafford to cancer, after a six year battle, in October 2011.

I missed him so much, I went straight to the pound and got Ziggy, a staffy cross a week later.

Try to make things as normal as possible.

Feed at the same time in the same place, play and walk at the same times you would have normally..

My boy has had fosters come and go and he gets more attached to some than others.

Your dog is older and more set in their ways, so try to keep as much as possible the same.

However, I do believe dogs grieve when they lose a mate, so also let the dog hang with you more.

Maybe a trip to the vet if things don't improve over a few days to make sure the dog isn't to stressed.

All the best and again, I am sorry for your loss.

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's hard for everyone concerned when you loose a loved one. Our animals definately grieve. Even when we had to have our bunny put down my dog grieved for him - they were good mates and my dog really missed him.

I make sure I give the one left a little more to do with his day - try and keep him active. I was lucky I had my mum at home, so I would drop him off at her house for doggy day care while I was at work. It gave him something else to think about I guess. He coped and we didn't get another doggy friend for him until about 6 years later.

This time round, I have got myself a 3rd dog already, because I know my other dog will be a mess without him, they are so bonded together....

I wish you both all the best.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I would of thought you would grieve together.

My dogs missed their kennel mate recently and we had some very solemn days.

They obviously miss them when they go, and the one who was closest is still finding it hard without her.

Of course being continually reminded doesn't help either, but that is part of their place in this world.