A Dog Just Rushed At Me And My Lab

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Labradork

An entire male British Bulldog cross just rushed at me and Poppy (my 5 month old female Lab).

He was sitting in the driveway of a front yard with no fence. I managed to spot him before he saw us and I picked up Poppy and carried her to the corner...but she weighs 17 kilos and I couldn't carry her any further than that.

He seemed like he was unwell, like he couldn't breathe properly...and he was gasping for air, and wheezing and hacking, which slowed him down a bit but he still followed us to my house.

Now he knows where Poppy lives and I won't be getting her desexed until she is 18 - 24 months old. I will be keeping her in my (clean and well ventilated) garage when I'm out and she's in season. I hope he doesn't try to bash the garage door down. He looked pretty strong and determined.

I put Poppy inside and when I went back out again he was walking back in the direction of his house. Do you think I should speak to his owner? Or call the ranger?

He didn't look pure bred. He looked more like a British Bulldog/Shar Pei cross. I have never seen such a weird looking dog.

Edited by Labradork

I wouldn't think the fact that he knows where Poppy lives now will make much difference when she's in season. If he's lose he'd probably be able to find her anyway.

Was he actually being aggressive? It's hard to tell from what you've said. If he was i would probably report it to the ranger.

If he was just following you maybe try talking to the owners? Depending on what they are like, maybe be careful about mentioning that you will have an entire girl, it could be risky if the wrong people knew that and maybe tried to steal her.

Guest Labradork

I wouldn't think the fact that he knows where Poppy lives now will make much difference when she's in season. If he's lose he'd probably be able to find her anyway.

Was he actually being aggressive? It's hard to tell from what you've said. If he was i would probably report it to the ranger.

If he was just following you maybe try talking to the owners? Depending on what they are like, maybe be careful about mentioning that you will have an entire girl, it could be risky if the wrong people knew that and maybe tried to steal her.

Yes he was. He ran at us and repeatedly jumped up at me to get to Poppy. And he was all over her all the way home but not in a friendly way. He was silent the whole time but very intense and very intimidating. I'm still a bit shocked so I'm probably not explaining it very well (sorry) :)

Guest Labradork

Report him to the ranger. The dog should not be loose.

I think I will. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I'm worried about what will happen to him because he doesn't look pure bred.

I was a bit hesitant to go into how much he scared me because I was worried that some DOL er's might think I have a problem with 'Bull breed' dogs - which I don't :)

I'm sorry that this has happened to you - I absolutely HATE it when we get rushed by dogs :mad - BUT I have this hilarious picture in my mind of you lugging a gorgeous big Lab puppy while a fat, wheezing, short legged, bull dog is struggling after you..... :rofl:

Sorry, probably still not funny :o

Guest Labradork

I'm sorry that this has happened to you - I absolutely HATE it when we get rushed by dogs :mad - BUT I have this hilarious picture in my mind of you lugging a gorgeous big Lab puppy while a fat, wheezing, short legged, bull dog is struggling after you..... :rofl:

No worries, CHA...and thank you for bringing some humour to the situation. I needed that :laugh:

Guest Labradork

When I'm really upset I go all numb and hold in my emotions. I'll probably burst into tears at some point tonight :laugh:

Try not to get too upset, you're ok and so is Poppy :)

I would just make sure to keep her inside when she's in season, but then I would do that anyway for safety.

It is horrible though, we've been rushed a few times and a loud "P*ss off!!" sent them running, give that one a go if you ever think you can't get away from the dog. Stomp in its direction and sound scary and most of them will give up :)

Edited by Aussie3

Guest Labradork

No offence Labradork but if it wasn't a BB that rushed your girl, why label it as one?

Any dog that follows me home gets a one way trip to the pound. Safer for it, safer for any other dog it comes across.

When I first saw him sitting in the driveway I was certain that he was a British Bulldog. He may even be a badly bred one ?? But afterwards, when I looked at the British Bulldog breed pages on DOL, I thought he looked more like a British Bulldog/Shar Pei cross. He had the body of a BB but not the wide, round head and largish, round eyes. He had a long, rectangular head with small eyes and lots of loose skin around his face and eyes. And two small ears high on the top of his head. He was pretty weird looking.

ETA

I will change the topic heading to "A Dog Just Rushed At Me And My Lab".

Edited by Labradork

He could have been any bulldog cross or a badly bred bulldog. In the end it doesn't matter what breed he was but what he did and what his owners haven't done. Call the ranger and report the incident. That would have been scary. I remember lugging my friend's lab girl around when she was younger, that's some serious muscle building exercise!

Edited by mixeduppup

Guest Labradork

He could have been any bulldog cross or a badly bred bulldog. In the end it doesn't matter what breed he was but what he did and what his owners haven't done. Call the ranger and report the incident. That would have been scary. I remember lugging my friend's lab girl around when she was younger, that's some serious muscle building exercise!

I didn't know what to call him. I was a bit wary about labelling him as a 'Bull breed'.

I will give the ranger a call. Thanks :)

This wasn't in glen waverley was it? We were rushed by a bulldog there.

Definitely call the ranger. It's not your responsibility to follow up with owners about restraining their dogs. If it turns out they are not so nice people and live close by its best to let someone else (who can clock off) deal with them rather than draw attention to yourself and your puppy.

:o sorry, I'm giggling too.

:hug:

I hope the ranger is approachable.

Guest Labradork

This wasn't in glen waverley was it? We were rushed by a bulldog there.

Definitely call the ranger. It's not your responsibility to follow up with owners about restraining their dogs. If it turns out they are not so nice people and live close by its best to let someone else (who can clock off) deal with them rather than draw attention to yourself and your puppy.

No, it wasn't in Glen Waverley.

I have just called the ranger and left a message.

OFF TOPIC

I'm also upset because I'm about to pick up my sister's Pug from the vet. He had five cancerous lumps removed today (my vet found three more lumps). So yeah, I've got a lot on my mind :(

Guest Labradork

:o sorry, I'm giggling too.

:hug:

I hope the ranger is approachable.

No worries, persephone. It's cool to have a giggle. I will probably p*ss myself laughing about it later :)

I have to go to the vet now and pick up the Pug. I will let you know what happens with the ranger.

I don't think you need to be worried about upsetting the Bully Breed owners, you're talking about the actions of one particular dog here. And by the sounds of it this particular dog's behaviour is unacceptable.

People will only get upset when an entire breed is demonised - I don't see you doing that here?