Ankc Question

WExtremeG

I have just seen an ad (FB sigh) and I'm wondering whether or not I should let the ANKC know...it's about an advertisement for a "pedigree stud, not for pedigree show dogs" now I know that that is against there rules and code of ethics, but will anything be done as in, investigated? or is this a common underground thing? This is the second time I've seen an ad like it- *shakes head*

If they are not registered with the ANKC affiliated group in their state then there is nothing they can do.

It is possible to breed pedigree dogs and not be an ANKC breeder.

Working sheepdogs are an example - there are multiple registration organisations so breeders with the Working Kelpie Council for example can advertise as registered breeders with pedigree pups.

ETA: Then there are the breeders registered with ANKC pedigree dogs who would say that as they are selecting for criteria other than show dogs - working gundogs, obedience, agility etc.

Edited by piper

I have just seen an ad (FB sigh) and I'm wondering whether or not I should let the ANKC know...it's about an advertisement for a "pedigree stud, not for pedigree show dogs" now I know that that is against there rules and code of ethics, but will anything be done as in, investigated? or is this a common underground thing? This is the second time I've seen an ad like it- *shakes head*

Does this come up alongside your FB page? I have clicked on it before and it has taken me to a whole lot of misleading advertising material nothing to do with DOGS - just a sneeky way of attracting dog people into checking out this other product. :mad

If they own a limit register dog themselves and are not actually registered breeders there is nothing that ANKC can do. What you can do is have a nice chat with them and ask if they have been breeding long, what is their prefix, what health tests does the breed need and what are the results of their dogs etc etc and then based on answers steer them in the right direction if need be. Such as explaining what limit register is and suggesting they talk to the breeder of their dog for assistance.

Might just ask if it's on the limited register- and go from there (I'm guessing it will be)

Edit- I've been thinking about how to ask it...should I ask why it's not available to "pedigree show dogs?" (their words)

Edited by WExtremeG

The first thing you need to know is that you should be contacting a state canine control, rather than the ANKC, about any breach of ethics.

But I'm with Steve here. There are plenty of pedigree dogs that don't grace the show ring - where's the breach in advertising a stud?? :confused:

The first thing you need to know is that you should be contacting a state canine control, rather than the ANKC, about any breach of ethics.

But I'm with Steve here. There are plenty of pedigree dogs that don't grace the show ring - where's the breach in advertising a stud?? :confused:

It's worded weirdly, but they could just mean pups on limited register - ie: not for show (so not mains registered).

Edited by minimax

O.K. So what am I missing here - is there a difference between someone advertising their stud dog on face book to advertising they have a dog available for stud on dogz or anywhere else ?

Only difference between here (dogz) and other places is that only registered dogs with the ankc can advertise here, while any other (registered or not) can advertise anywhere.

Like I said- it just clicked that he probably was only on limited and therefore the owner isn't a ankc member, so nothing to do with ankc-(though other people had already replied to the thread before I saw there comments)

They have since updated their ad, and it appears the dog is not show worthy due to " Has papers but has a fault that the fickle world of show dogs don't allow but both his parents were aust champs & he won ribbons as a pup"

Edited by WExtremeG

None. Dog is being advertised to similar breeds for breeding.

Unless they are an ANKC registered breeder it's not a breach. Easiest solution to these issues is to ignore FB ads :shrug:

Best advice yet :) It just really gets the better of me.

I'm going to remove myself from the group- If the public want a pb dog then they would know after researching where to get one from. Unfortunately those people are in the minority- as everyone seems to want a bargin these days.

Edited by WExtremeG

It's not illegal to breed your dog, or advertise your dog as availble for breeding :)

It's not illegal to breed your dog, or advertise your dog as availble for breeding :)

Yeah, I know. Never said it was?