Illyrian Sheepdog At Hawkesbury

MelissaS

Breeder here: http://southernstarsarp.com/index-old.htm

I have sent them an email with a link in case it is one of theirs.

I followed that link. Great information & pics about the Sarplaninac breed. Says also known as Yugoslavian Shepherd dog. History is fascinating as it also refers to the 'class' of dogs, the breed fits with.

Good move to let those experienced breeders check out that lovely dog... in case.

By weird accident ( I was googling images of totally different breed), when this pic came up.... traced back to DOL. In 2010, Nekhbet said she'd like a Sarplaninac... & posted a very nice pic:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/208540-rare-dog-breeds/page__st__50

Edited by mita

There are a couple of breeders of Sarplaninac down here in Victoria but they are proper ones, there is also someone in NSW doing it. There is also a man crossing them with Kangals in Vic as well but from my info many of them develop blue eyes and are quite NQR temperament wise.

Sarplaninac dont take that long to produce a coat to be honest, if she has Sarplaninac in there it's a cross with something else.

Thats not an Illyrian.

I think she may well be Sarplaninac. She is only 1 year old, so she is not fully formed. Conformation and coat both.

Here are some Sarplaninac females.

sarplaninac_033bina.jpg

hodessa96.jpg

She looks nothing like those dogs imo, her face shape is very maremma.

This dog is NOT an Illyrian Sheepdog.

it is a mixed breed, probably of Maremma x Anatolian.

This dog arrived at the pound with NO microchip -

it's breed identity is a creative guess by pound staff / rescue.

Why they chose Illyrian who knows.

Maybe they thought it would sell better.

Re Sarps:

AFAIK there have only been one male and two female imported from the kennel link above.

99% of 'pure sarps' sold by BYB are combinations of Anatolian / Leonberger / Central Asian / inbred variations of the first sarps.

Frankly, most with sarps dont have the money or know-how to import.

Edited by lilli

Thats not an illyrian sheepdog, it's a cross of one at best. By the way an Illyrian Sheepdog is basically a Sarplaninac, her coat is not long enough and she looks crossed with anatolian.

She's a LGD, give her time to settle in and watch her go. She needs to be assessed either way by a LGD expert.

Yep.

This is a worry there is an Anatolian x in a shelter down here that looks very similar..If people are after a LGD they need to research a lot and be sure what they are buying.

Yes, and in Australia some individual ASDs can be very sharp.

Two of my dogs, one in particular I handle the same way as a stallion or unhandled horse. I never forget what she is capable of, and our relationship is 51-49. But that is not constant or a given. If I stuff up, she lets me know about it and we are back to 50-50.

Edited by lilli

This is a worry there is an Anatolian x in a shelter down here that looks very similar..If people are after a LGD they need to research a lot and be sure what they are buying.

It's probably more worrying pound staff are making things up and they're the ones selling the dogs. I'm sure because she's quiet in the pound it can be taken as her normal temperament.

Thats how it starts, how it ends can be extremely different. Sarplaninac are not dogs you mess around with, they'll literally be able to bring down an adult human if they feel their territory has been violated.

• 2 months later...

German Shepherd Rescue in NSW:

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/209708

Nada is an exceptional young dog a rare breed that unfortunately found herself in a Sydney Animal Shelter. We are not sure why she was not microchipped and no one came to collect her.

Nada is an Illyrian Sheepdog who we have taken into care and we have found her to be a beautiful natured and intelligent dog. We originally thought she needed to protect her flock so she was placed with a carer who had a working property but Nada prefers the company of people. Yes she is a large breed, heavy coated but nature wise she is gentle, placid and extremely loving.

No, Nada is not.

Great she has gong on trial to her new home in the past 24 hours but can you desist with the false advertising?

She probably would have found a home sooner if your advert did not make up "rare breed" Illyrian Sheep Dog whatevers.

Edited by lilli