Thunderstorms

kiesha09

Today in Adelaide we have had some serious thunderstorms. I have been at work all day and when I got home at 6pm I got a fairly big shock. One of the dogs had urinated all over the house - I mean ALL over the house. In the lounge room, laundry, hallways, bathroom (had poo'd in there as well).

When I got home my girl Kiesha was quite panicked, panting, pacing and generally stressed. This doesn't surprise me at all as she is very fearful of storms. Although I thought she was getting better (well she is when she has her thundershirt on).

However, I actually think it was my boy Chip who did it since the sofa was marked, as were the walls in the laundry and the bathroom. Whilst my girl does cock her leg she has never marked anything. Chip on the other hand has been known to mark things inside (particularly in the laundry) but NEVER like this. It almost looks like he had started marking things got scared and walked while he kept peeing (it really was EVERYWHERE!!!).

Chip however has never shown any body language of being fearful of thunder in the past so it does surprise me. Even now we have thunder going but he's not showing any fear in his body language so I'm a bit confused. But at this stage I am assuming it was because of the storm, which is really the other thing different today that usual. Its also not like he is uncontrollably peeing. I will see how we go over the day and obviously if we continue to experience problems I will take him to the vet for a check up.

Is it common though for dogs to uncontrollably eliminate due to fear or storms? What can I do about it? I work at least 1/2 hour away from work and there is no way they would let me go home because of a storm :mad

Is it common though for dogs to uncontrollably eliminate due to fear or storms?

If they are scared enough :(

It could well have been both!

She may have peed everywhere, and he followed suit?

One panicked dog may have upset the other ..or he may have been marking where she peed?

Check out the Thundershirts for storm phobias, from what I have read they have helped out many dogs with storms and other anxiety issues :)

from the original post ...

Although I thought she was getting better (well she is when she has her thundershirt on).<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

Thanks for your comments guys. Perse you may be right - he might have just marked where she had already peed.

She has been shaking like a leaf during the thunder and practically tries to disappear into my lap. I've tried ignoring her and just going about things as normal and even tried playing a game with her.

I think I may have to go to the vet with her and see what meds they can give me. It is horrible to watch and she is incredibly distressed.

Argh! I hate storms!!!

I've been home all day today and let me tell you not only were the thunderstorms LOUD the wind was howling at a million miles too!!!!! I was actually scared myself :o ..... I fully expected to see my guys worried, but they weren't luckily. I'm not surprised you came home to chaos!

Hope they settle down now. :)

Do you have any rescue remedy ?

maybe put a drop or two of lavender oil on a bandana/collar for her?

Maybe a calcium tablet (just plain calcium)

:(

How does plain calcium tablet help, Perse? Genuine interest.

Thank you erny .

it should have read Magnesium :(:o

Oops.

Calcium and magnesium both are effective in helping with stress. when they work together ... in a hurry, magnesium could be more effective , as calcium levels increase ..and the magnesium helps damp things down ...

thanks for alerting me .

Thank you erny .

it should have read Magnesium :(:o

Oops.

Calcium and magnesium both are effective in helping with stress. when they work together ... in a hurry, magnesium could be more effective , as calcium levels increase ..and the magnesium helps damp things down ...

thanks for alerting me .

Don't be embarrassed - I didn't know either of these things, so even your 'error' has proven to be informative :D.

What would the magnesium dosage be and is it something you need to give before the event of a thunder storm or can it still be effective if given after anxiety levels have risen?