Canon 1100d Vs Nikon D3100

HollyMilo

Good Guys have a sale that ends today on Canon 1100D twin lens kit $599 and Nikon D3100 twin lens kit $547. Both seem like good deals and I have no idea which way to go.

I've currently got a Nikon Coolpix L100. I'm not a good photographer but thought a DSLR might give me better images.

I want it for taking pics of family, dogs and kids sport. Sons Taekwondo in particular, so want something that will capture fast moving kicks without so much blur. I had been looking at the Sony A57 as the salesman said it takes 12 shots per second so had a good chance of getting a good pic. Not sure if he was just blowing wind up my butt though? Sony looks good for a beginner like me but the prices of these Canon and Nikon twin lens kits is just too good to pass up.

Please help!!! All opinions appreciated :)

Good Guys have a sale that ends today on Canon 1100D twin lens kit $599 and Nikon D3100 twin lens kit $547. Both seem like good deals and I have no idea which way to go.

I've currently got a Nikon Coolpix L100. I'm not a good photographer but thought a DSLR might give me better images.

I want it for taking pics of family, dogs and kids sport. Sons Taekwondo in particular, so want something that will capture fast moving kicks without so much blur. I had been looking at the Sony A57 as the salesman said it takes 12 shots per second so had a good chance of getting a good pic. Not sure if he was just blowing wind up my butt though? Sony looks good for a beginner like me but the prices of these Canon and Nikon twin lens kits is just too good to pass up.

Please help!!! All opinions appreciated :)

Have you had a look at this comparison? http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Nikon_D3100

It gives you a feel for how some things like battery life compare. I've always used and like Canon cameras in the past, but I've decided to make the switch to Nikon for my next DSLR. At the entry level range you're looking at, both cameras will have a lot of good features and should keep you going for a while. If you really want to get into photography, you'll probably find it useful to invest some money into different lenses. I don't have experience with either of the two cameras, but the canon apparently has an autofocus motor, while the Nikon doesn't. An autofocus motor would mean that you could purchase older second hand canon lenses which will be able to autofocus, while the Nikon lenses would need to be the newer ones with build in autofocus. I'd recommend buying whichever one you prefer the feel of, as you might find you prefer the weight or size of one over the other.

Thanks for your reply Aphelion.

I raced into the store after work and played around with a few different cameras. The D3100 price was a misprint in the catalogue :( . I ended up going for a Nikon D5100.

I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it! So it was misprinted at a cheaper price than what they were actually selling it for? Do they not still have to honour the advertised misprint where you are? Even if not, I tent to think it's not very good customer service if they make a mistake in the customers favour, and then won't follow through.

No, they wouldn't honour the price printed in the catalogue, it was printed at $152 cheaper than the actual sale price of $699. They had signs up advising of the mistake and apparently there were a lot of ads printed in newspapers stating the mistake.

I'm happy with the D5100 anyway, from the few pics I've quickly snapped before work this morning, they are much brighter and clearer than what I usually take. Although they aren't brilliant, that's not the cameras fault, it's the photographers skill LOL The camera I ended up with has an image stabilizer or something which reduces movement caused by hands shaking apparently. I don't really know I was kind of led by the salesman :o

No, they wouldn't honour the price printed in the catalogue, it was printed at $152 cheaper than the actual sale price of $699. They had signs up advising of the mistake and apparently there were a lot of ads printed in newspapers stating the mistake.

I'm happy with the D5100 anyway, from the few pics I've quickly snapped before work this morning, they are much brighter and clearer than what I usually take. Although they aren't brilliant, that's not the cameras fault, it's the photographers skill LOL The camera I ended up with has an image stabilizer or something which reduces movement caused by hands shaking apparently. I don't really know I was kind of led by the salesman :o

Most people I know say the image stabilisers make a huge difference. You can definitely use a slower shutter speed (without needing a tripod) compared to when you have no image stabilisation. Some cameras have it in the body and others don't and you have the option of purchasing slightly more expensive lenses with the image stabiliser in the lens.