Looking For A Dog

Guest Panzer Attack!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Hi everyone,

I've been investigating breeds for a number of weeks but I'm starting to think maybe a rescue would be the way to go, and would love some opinions and to see of anyone has anything suitable.

Requirements are as follows -

- not too big. I have a Papillon so don't want a dog that will do any damage

- affectionate - Scooter is quite aloof and I want a dog I can cuddle

- not a yapper! I've trained this out of Scooter but know some dogs are much more likely to bark than others

- I'm a groomer so coat is not an issue, but not after something that is heavy shedding

- a fairly active dog I can do agility with in the future and walk often

- a dog I can TAKE places. Not head-shy, scared of people, timid, likely to snarl etc. Not dog aggressive in any way, shape or form

So uh yeah. I know my list of requirements is extensive but I am happy to wait as long as need be for the right dog. I want the right dog!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Panzer Attack!

Thanks for the list, T - but anything unpapered that is remotely staffy looking is not a good idea in my neck of the woods :( I'm thinking a young adult would be more suitable (6 months +) so I know exactly what I'm going to be dealing with.

HW - the most outgoing Whips I've ever met have been Sharon's, and I really don't think they're the right fit for me... I would be happy to be proven wrong tho. Have met a LOT of timid (but beautiful!) Whippets. Having said that, I do work at a vet lol!

Edited by Panzer Attack!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Cavs shed too much for what I'm after. Tibbies maybe? I didn't think they'd be particularly energetic or suited to dog sports?

Igs are a no no. Cute but too small and fragile, and I wouldn't be able to run with one. This thread is making me sound like a sighthound hater, which is not true, I think they are beautiful but I really can't see myself with one.

A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.... Or Tibetan spaniel

Purdie, I wondered the same.

But first thing about a Tibetan Spaniel relates to PA's comment about barking.

A Tibbie tends not to bark mindlessly, but only when there is something unusual that needs the owner to check out. They were originally bred to be alert dogs. Our Tibbie girls have twice sussed out thieves at our place. But they're not nuisance yapper/ barkers. The Tibbie girl, next door, however, barks more than they do. So there's differences within a breed.

Second thing would be that PA wants a dog that could be walked often. Tibbies are a bracchy breed so long walks are not suitable as they can't get rid of the body heat so efficiently. My girls only have 10 to 15 minute walks and never when it's hot. But Tibbies are very active in short sprints playing around the yard... where their harefeet give them speed & traction.

Thanks for the list, T - but anything unpapered that is remotely staffy looking is not a good idea in my neck of the woods :( I'm thinking a young adult would be more suitable (6 months +) so I know exactly what I'm going to be dealing with.

HW - the most outgoing Whips I've ever met have been Sharon's, and I really don't think they're the right fit for me... I would be happy to be proven wrong tho. Have met a LOT of timid (but beautiful!) Whippets. Having said that, I do work at a vet lol!

http://www.petrescue.com.au/groups/10440?page=2 <-- check out Samuel and Sage on that page... and Leroy on page 3 http://www.petrescue.com.au/groups/10440?page=3 - they look like short coated BC's

T.

A greyhound :) Affectionate, low shedding, no smell and not known to be barkers. Well my two don't bark at all. Stan is the laziest greyhound I've known but Maddie is a little pocket rocket. She would walk or jog for miles and can curl up into the smallest ball on the bed. You can always foster to see if they suit.

Guest Panzer Attack!

I think PA is asking if any one has a suitable dog in foster care, not for breed suggestions. :D

Hello lovely! I'm happy to be suggested breeds too, I dunnae if you saw my 90+ comment status on FB yesterday that was going nowhere fast in regards to breeds... But there are so many people on DOL that I'm sure that someone will be able to suggest the right dog! I assume you're in here to offer me Minty? xx

I am not computer savvy enough to multiquote, but I'll try and answer all the other suggestions -

T- thanks, am going to have a look now :)

Purdie - my experience with Bichons (as a groomer) is that they bark. A LOT. LIKE A REAL LOT. lol. Training barking out of a dog that has a breed tendancy is really friggin hard and I've done so much work with Scooter I don't want him to backwards and encourage another dog... apart from that I think they're really nice dogs. I dunnae how they'd go with the exercise requirement tho? I outwalk my Papillon.

MUP - I'm going to see a Toy Poodle breeder on Sunday but have been recommended to avoid them by people in the sport due to their various health problems and temp issues... Silkies are probably TOO small, and would not fit the exercise requirement either. :( I wonder if I'm being too unreasonable with my want list, really. My previous 2 rescues were awesome dogs, and ticked every box EXCEPT the exercise one (one was really sick, the other is a corgi x with bung legs and my ex owns him now so I couldn't run him even if i wanted to) so I knowwww there must be the right dog there somewhere!

Guest Panzer Attack!

A greyhound :) Affectionate, low shedding, no smell and not known to be barkers. Well my two don't bark at all. Stan is the laziest greyhound I've known but Maddie is a little pocket rocket. She would walk or jog for miles and can curl up into the smallest ball on the bed. You can always foster to see if they suit.

Argggghhhh, it kills me to say this but I can't have a Grey! Scooter is so small and zippy he tends to attract the wrong kind of attention from them. When he passes on I will 100% have one, but for my current situation they are too big and not suited to agility. Blah!!!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Have you met many, kavik? I like the look of them but google (and we all know google is never wrong) says they are pretty typical spitz in temperament and i already have one dog that flips me off all the time. I've only ever seen one IRL at agility club and it was very very sweet and affectionate but BARKED NON STOP. I know that it's a very high excitement environment though :)

I had one when I was a kid. I remember him being pretty high energy, and not a good recall :laugh: but then I was only around 10 and didn't know much about training (he was my dog), unfortunately I had to leave him behind when my family moved here from the USA, he was still only a young dog then. I have talked to people at Schip breed stalls at the Pet Expo and some have downsized from Kelpies to Schipps, though Schipps are probably less biddable than Kelpies. I can't remember if he barked a lot. I still really like them and would like to get another one someday, maybe be my attempt at small dog agility.

ETA: the top little dogs for agility IMO are Shelties - very fast, and biddable, but can be VERY barky, so I didn't suggest them.

Edited by Kavik

Argggghhhh, it kills me to say this but I can't have a Grey! Scooter is so small and zippy he tends to attract the wrong kind of attention from them. When he passes on I will 100% have one, but for my current situation they are too big and not suited to agility. Blah!!!

A friend of mine has a greyhound with...a foxie, a staffy, two cats, a four year old child and free range chooks :) One of her last fosters went to a home with pet rabbits!! Understand they are not suited for you though so good luck with your search, the lucky dog you choose will have a wonderful home :)