Skin Tag Removal

Rainy

diesel has 2 skin tags, one on his leg and one on his chest. they havnt been a problem for the past 12 mth's but one has been bumped a couple times now and started bleeding. Iv got that sorted but now im thinking it might just be easier to get them removed however my vet is away for 2 weeks and i dont particularly like the other vet in the parctice so im going to try and hold off untill my vet gets back.

What has your experiance been like? do they usually get put under for removal or local ? im just trying to figure out how long i need to keep him out of competition for ect. and a rough price you paid iv never had to have this done before so i have no idea.

Thanks in advance :D

My Louis had one on his chest that we had removed early this year. It was the size of a large fat tick, and while it wasn't causing him any issues, it was growing slowly and I didn't want it to get irritated by his clothes.

Pretty sure he had a GA, there wasn't any 'spare' skin in that area but it was a tiny wound and healed beautifully and quickly. He has baby soft skin on his chest, and I'd be hard pushed to find a scar :)

Can't remember the price I'm afraid :o

oh dear, my boy has one on the corner of his eyelid. we've been to the vets plenty of times and no one has given us any reason to be concerned, he has had it for roughly a year I'd say.

Next time I'm at the vets, I may just ask how much it would be to have it removed... he's a bernese, so anaesthesia is going to be pricey, did you get a rough price on the surgery for your dog cannibalgoldfish?

do what my grandmother does ... get some fine strong cotton, double reef knot it and tie it around the base very tightly. Rub some straight alcohol on it every day and they dry up and fall off.

I was going to suggest this too. This is a way to get rid of skin tags on humans too. Hadn't heard about rubbing alcohol on it though, just the string bit. Dental floss works too.

did you get a rough price on the surgery for your dog cannibalgoldfish?

I didn't ask cost :o I just asked about how big before it has to come off. He is only around 10, 11 kilos so hopefully wont cost me as much as a bernese!

Wish the knot method would work on mine. He wiggles like there is no tommorrow so that would never work. I can barely touch it without him squirming about.

Is there any way the knot method can cause more dammage if not done corretly? could be worth giving a go :shrug:

Tie it very tightly as low down as possible get someone else to pull it upwards as you tie.. You are cutting off the blood supply so it will shrivel up and drop off in a few days. Some breeders used to use this method to take puppy dogs tails off.

Edited by KaseyC

They look quite big (could be the photos though), so I'd be nervous about the knot method too. Other people with more experience than I may be able to say if it would work or not. Might not hurt mentioning it to your vet, and seeing what they say? Or if there is any way removal can be done without a general anesthetic.

Edited by rebelsquest

Yeah Rebel the size is what is putting me off the knot method, they are about half the size of the pad of my finger ( and i dont have small fingers). the vet that is there said to bring him in and she will do it under genral but i dont want him under for no reason if it can be done with a local my normal vet will be back soon so ill take diesel to him, as there is nothing under the skin to remove i think it should be esey enough to do with a local.

Not on dogs but my husband has had a few removed with liquid Nitrogen (dry ice).

Also his father had some done years ago and now my daughter had a small one removed under her eye.

Must run in their 'lines'. :laugh:

Jarrah had one on her muzzle for awhile, it was a bit ugly but I never eally worried about it apart from to make sure it wasn't growing at a rate that may indicate cancer (muzzle tags can be cancerous apparently). It never seemed to be growing at a worrying rate.

Just a few weeks ago I noticed it was gone. She must have scraped it off on something? There was only a tiny scab where it had been. It seems to me from the way it just came off by itself with no distress or consequences that this type of tag is very superficial and Nekhbet's mum's method of dealing with it wouldn't cause any distress.

My staffy has a few tiny ones on his chest, and one big one, but the biggest is about the size of a 5 cent piece, and about half a cm thick. The interesting thing is, that he has black skin, but the skin tag is pink! It doesn't bother him, doesn't get caught on anything or bleed, and he's 12, so unless he has to have a GA for something serious, I'll leave it alone (The vet has checked it out and says leave it be)....the different coloured skin thing freaked me out though!

We've had a grey with one on her back and removal was.. accidental :o Was grooming her with the ZoomGroom while washing her and the rubber nubs snagged it and pulled the top half of it off. For whatever reason, the top half had lost its blood supply and when it did come off, there was no bleeding and no sign of any discomfort.

She was rehomed with the lower half of the tag still there and as far as I know, the new owners used the knot method to get rid of what was left.

Skin tags are something I'd be careful with as they can really get big, really quickly.