Doggy Toenail Fell Off - How To Care For Nailbed?

Wobbly

It has been expensive! Especially for something that really should have been a total non event.

Everything seems all good now, yay finally. I am not letting her lick it, she wanted to lick the first day it fell off, but it's not worrying her now.

I'd be keeping a close eye on it. We recently had our oldie at the vet for a similar issue- he'd caught the nail on something and damaged it slightly. Nail got infected, a few rounds of ABs and painkillers, still not right. Ended up having to have the tip of his toe amputated which showed the infection had spread to the bone.

Through all of that the nail was kept clean and he spent 95% of his time upside-down in his bed so even with the best care, sometimes things will get worse without aggressive treatment.

O wow, ty for the heads up. Amputation :( Poor boy, I hope he is all healed up and free of any pain or distress now. I am definitely not going to take a full recovery granted yet in light of that.

The stub now is looking healthy I think. It's white, where the other nails are dark, it's quite hard to the touch, no sponginess or blood or anything obviously worrying. It's about 5-7mm long, and she's not showing any inclination toward licking it or worrying at it at all.

I am getting her to take it a bit easy on walks atm, so I will keep that up.

I tend to chuck a sock on their foot with vet wrap for the first few days till it dries out- keeps it clean and stops them licking it but also allows it to air. I change the sock once it starts to look manky. Once its dry I let them run on it like normal.

I find dogs that are irritated and want to lick it chew at the top of their sock rather than at the toe itself and I have been mean enough to put socks on all four feet as a distraction from the ouchie toe :laugh:

yes..as long as the actual nail stays on, but has been breached .. the cavity under it is the perfect humidicrib for masses of bacteria .. nasty :(

Yep. Kiff was tried on several different ABs with no real change. It took completely removing the infected area to get rid of it. From the outside, it was almost impossible to tell there was such a bad problem- slightly pink skin from licking at it and that was all.