What Can I Use To Stop Him Biting?

piperspal

We have 5 dogs, the last one is a now 10 week old rotti pup. He is going well, although he has a nasty habit, since he is getting bigger, of using the smallest dog as a bit of a chew toy. They play together pretty well, Milo does zoomies while Tonka (pup) tries and keeps up.

Now Tonka is about 10kgs, Milo is around 5. They wrestle and carry on, and while we are there Tonka will let go of Milo if we tell him too, or he gets disciplined. The problem is I need to be able to have him not see Milo as a fun chew toy, he doesnt treat hte toy poodle that way at all as she ignores him and has no value to him, she is much older and a no fun at all apparently :laugh: But Milo is a little smaller than him, and just the right size. Is there something I can put on Milo that will make him taste bad to Tonka, but not make either of them sick?

I want them to play, just not have Milo dragged around and hurt. So far its not too bad, but Milo is starting to get a bit anxious with Tonka around, not that I blame him. I dont want to leave the 2 little dogs in the house during the day as its getting too hot now, its cooler outside while we aren't home. They get plenty of bones etc, so its not that he has nothing to do, he also has toys etc to play with, 5 acres to get around on and 2 other bigger older dogs outside so he isnt lonely. He is gradually learning bite inhibition with everything, as well as a few manners.

Same problem with small older dog being chased and 'grabbed ' by tail and ears by my now 10month old poodle pup who is way bigger although not as heavy (6Kg) as the smaller SilkyX (9kg).

solution was spraying beautiful smelling dog product eau D colonge onto silky X tail and ears puppy hates the smell and obviously the taste as within a few days of this routine all nipping ceased.

In a nutshell? Discipline!

When we combine dogs of disparate sizes and ages, we have to step in to moderate their behaviour when it becomes challenging.

You COULD spray the target of the behaviour with something unpleasant but why should he have to smell unpleasant to deter another dog?

Separate when unsupervised and stop him chewing the other dog by pulling him off and scruffing him. Your challenge will be to do it in a manner that isn't stressful for the smaller dog.

So far its not too bad, but Milo is starting to get a bit anxious with Tonka around, not that I blame him.

:( poor Milo .

What if he does get stressed, and hurt ..growls & nips at the pup? What will pup do ? Will he act like a Tonka Truck and barge in ..or will he back off?

if you aren't around , you won't know until it's too late ..and one of them is hurt.

You're doing a sensible thing in asking for help :) Now is the time to learn how to communicate with Tonka..and show him discipline and rules . What you see as 'cute' now ..and what he enjoys , will NOT be cute when he's 40 kgs.

What HW said. You need to be quick and decisive- and preferably silent. Don't go in gentle gentle and build up- he needs to take you seriously.

Why is silence better? (I'm not trying to be smart! I genuinely would like to know.)

What HW said. You need to be quick and decisive- and preferably silent. Don't go in gentle gentle and build up- he needs to take you seriously.

Why is silence better? (I'm not trying to be smart! I genuinely would like to know.)

Because a mild verbal correction is useless, and a harsh one might scare poor little Milo. He's already anxious enough with Tonka munching on him.

There are different ways that this could be corrected silently, but you have to know your dog's own threshold before deciding what to use. I like to use a water pistol for this type of training, but it depends on the dog as to whether this would be effective.

Because a mild verbal correction is useless, and a harsh one might scare poor little Milo. He's already anxious enough with Tonka munching on him.

There are different ways that this could be corrected silently, but you have to know your dog's own threshold before deciding what to use. I like to use a water pistol for this type of training, but it depends on the dog as to whether this would be effective.

Depends on your aim too. No point in drenching the target.

There are 2 reasons why silence is important in this context- One is to surprise the offender, no point verbally correcting which the dog can then learn that you are coming and turn it into a game AND most importantly, a verbal correction will make the targeted dog more anxious/ worried/ increases negative association.

I'd be likely to scruff the dog and/ or give them a time out in some way but if you're not sure how to deal with it- best to get a reputable trainer to come and assess the dog and determine what technique would be most effective.

Edited by Cosmolo

It will not be safe to leave them together, far too risky.

My boss adopted a Rottweiler and a Dachshund from breeders but as they both grew, she realised that the Dachshund was going to get hurt, well he already was on more than one occasion. It was an accident but she now never leaves them alone together - she works full time - it isn't worth the risk.

Edited by dogmad

We have a 5.5 month old foster Dane pup here that plays very rudly and grabs my lab x by his back - all in play but not nice, Lab x put up with it for a bit but now understandably isn't happy but won't repremand the puppy so I have them seperated unless I am able to supervise 100% and provide guidence which usually occurs with 20 second time outs which he understands due to repetition.

Edited by sas

Problem solved, I spray all the dogs in fly repellant, apparently (judging by the lookon the pups face) it tastes like crap :laugh: he hasn't even tried to bite at the others, just happy now to do zoomies, or at least he will be when it cools off a bit later on.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Problem solved, I spray all the dogs in fly repellant, apparently (judging by the lookon the pups face) it tastes like crap :laugh: he hasn't even tried to bite at the others, just happy now to do zoomies, or at least he will be when it cools off a bit later on.

Poor things, punishing the one that didn't do anything wrong by making him carry the awful, and potentially toxic, scent of fly spray instead of just training the other dog not to do be rough with him.

Poor things, punishing the one that didn't do anything wrong by making him carry the awful, and potentially toxic, scent of fly spray instead of just training the other dog not to do be rough with him.

Umm where ps lives its a necessity to put repellant on the dogs and in doing so the pup found out it tastes yuck and therefore temporarily solved the problem. I highly doubt it was done as punishment.

Guest Labradork

How about using Neem spray ?? Apparently, it's safe to use on dogs ??

I'm thinking of buying this product to spray on Poppy in summer, to keep the flies off when she's eating her bones. They also make a dog and kennel wash in bulk sizes. My Naturopath uses their Equine Spray on her horses :)

http://neemproductsaustralia.com/products-page/sprays-washes-and-talc/

ETA

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. I thought the OP was looking for a dog friendly insect repellent :o

Edited by Labradork