Vegan Pets?

Ruin Maniac

I believe killing is only ok for survival. Humans in the western world no longer need to eat meat so i dont beliee in killing anything for food. Certainly not for clothes or make up etc

I have already decided my kids will be vegan because there is no good reason for them to not be. They can chose to when they are old enough to understand what they are deciding

IMHO no one has provided no one has provided a good reason on here for dogs to eat meat.

I dont count because thats what nature intended a reason.

Edited by chuckandsteve

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I believe killing is only ok for survival. Humans in the western world no longer need to eat meat so i dont beliee in killing anything for food. Certainly not for clothes or make up etc

I have already decided my kids will be vegan because there is no good reason for them to not be.

IMHO no one has provided no one has provided a good reason on here for dogs to eat meat.

I think its sad your kids don't get to chose themselves

A friend of my parents has a small cattle property. He has a fully licensed, small slaughterhouse (the health hoops you have to jump through are considerable). He drives the cattle up there, and kills and dresses them himself. His neighbours also use him.

The cattle are never transported (a major issue for me). I don't have an issue with this style of livestock raising and my parents swear his meat TASTE'S better.

My personal view is that if more people were aware of how livestock animals were raised and treated for mass food production, they'd be more discerning about where their meat came from. Then again, the cost is all important for some.

I DETEST intensive animal farming in a major way. It is WRONG.

End of Sermon.

Guest Labradork

Haredown Whippets wasn't being impolite or disrespectful; she was just expressing her beliefs.

I don't mean to be polite or disrespectful either, but I agree - I don't believe that anyone should own a dog if they have a problem with feeding it meat (for anything other than medical reasons, ie. an Intrahepatic Liver Shunt) :)

I have already decided my kids will be vegan because there is no good reason for them to not be. They can chose to when they are old enough to understand what they are deciding

Why not? You don't think that an animal should be able to eat what it is physiologically programmed to eat?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I have already decided my kids will be vegan because there is no good reason for them to not be.

Why? Most kids eat what their parents want them to eat. Free choice comes when you leave home.

that's interesting. What about captive animals in zoos? Carnivores like wolves, and seals etc. Do you think they should be fed only vegetables?

I editted they get to chose when they are old enough.

But i see it as me forcing them to kill if i feed them meat when they cant chose

Husband who eats meat agrees, because he is informed on the topic and he admits he has no good reason to eat it, he just likes it.

A friend of my parents has a small cattle property. He has a fully licensed, small slaughterhouse (the health hoops you have to jump through are considerable). He drives the cattle up there, and kills and dresses them himself. His neighbours also use him.

The cattle are never transported (a major issue for me). I don't have an issue with this style of livestock raising and my parents swear his meat TASTE'S better.

My personal view is that if more people were aware of how livestock animals were raised and treated for mass food production, they'd be more discerning about where their meat came from. Then again, the cost is all important for some.

End of Sermon.

It's true. HDW. I've experienced this first hand with a travelling butcher and his mobile refridgeration unit.

The cattle are not stressed prior to death and so there is no lactic acid present in the muscle.

Unfortunately intensive animal farming comes hand in hand with intensive populations in small areas. :(

Edited by LizT

that's interesting. What about captive animals in zoos? Carnivores like wolves, and seals etc. Do you think they should be fed only vegetables?

Soy based kibble please.

Carnivores are different. As everyone has said all the way though this topic

I editted they get to chose when they are old enough.

But i see it as me forcing them to kill if i feed them meat when they cant chose

Husband who eats meat agrees, because he is informed on the topic and he admits he has no good reason to eat it, he just likes it.

Mine is exactly the same. Even if I wanted to feed our dogs on a vegan diet, he wouldn't let me :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

Guest donatella

Why? Most kids eat what their parents want them to eat. Free choice comes when you leave home.

Because becoming a Vegan is a personal choice and not one your parents should make for you. I believe children should be free to sample all foods and decide what is palatable to them. I'm not sure how well it would be policed in a school ground anyway with children swapping lunches, getting tuckshop, having sleepovers.

How about dogs and humans that are allergic to plant protein?

How about the fact that whether we "need" to or "want" we have the choice to? You choose to be vegan, many of us choose not to be.

It's not a religion neither is it a law. The animals that exist, exist because we bred them for the specific purpose of eating them, they wouldn't be alive if we didn't. I grew up having a Sunday roast, turkey on Christmas and I'll be damned if I let sanctimonious, opinionated vegans change that (not talking about anyone here, just in general). Vegans have every right to choose not to eat animal products and feed their dogs whatever they like, and non-vegans have every right to eat and feed whatever they choose as well. What's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another and one should never force views onto another.

Off topic, but I see forcing children to eat vegan as a bit cruel. No party food at birthday parties, no eating over at friends houses, no canteen lunches, no swapping lunches at school. Why not introduce them to a variety of foods, give them all the info and let them choose if they want to be vegan when they are old enough?

Forcing something on a kid is a pretty good way for them to automatically not agree with it.

Edited by minimax

End of Sermon.

this is something I do struggle with, and I tend to try not to think about it, but it is a source of guilt for me. I've been to slaughter yards and sale yards. I've seen frightened injured animals put up for sale and know where they're headed. Who knows, maybe this thread will be the turning point for me. I saw online yesterday a chook workshop coming up, it covers poultry care and also killing and dressing the fowl for the table.

Carnivores are different. As everyone has said all the way though this topic

Wolves aren't obligate carnivores. They have the same digestive systems as dogs.

End of Sermon.

this is something I do struggle with, and I tend to try not to think about it, but it is a source of guilt for me. I've been to slaughter yards and sale yards. I've seen frightened injured animals put up for sale and know where they're headed. Who knows, maybe this thread will be the turning point for me. I saw online yesterday a chook workshop coming up, it covers poultry care and also killing and dressing the fowl for the table.

An intensive pig farm visit is a nightmare I will never forget. Thank God they banned sow stalls.

Because becoming a Vegan is a personal choice and not one your parents should make for you. I believe children should be free to sample all foods and decide what is palatable to them. I'm not sure how well it would be policed in a school ground anyway with children swapping lunches, getting tuckshop, having sleepovers.

:laugh: snap!

Guest donatella

:laugh: snap!

hehe ;)