Vip Grain Free

I was in Woolies last night and noticed that there is a new dog food on the shelf and its grain free!

Has anyone tried it? If its any good I'll definitely give it a go as its the only grain free food I've seen in Darwin. I currently pay $40 postage to ship a bag of food up fron NSW every few weeks so it will be more convenient and cost effective for me.

Let me know what your thoughts, experiences with it are please :)

Thanks, I didn't see the other thread before.

My dogs are doing well on Earthborn Holistic but it costs a small fortune to get it mailed to Darwin so it would be good if they did ok on this one. I don't feed kibble exclusively so they would also be getting raw meat and bones and sardines, yoghurt, raw eggs and other bits and pieces so they should be ok on it even if its not as good as the more premium foods.

My two have been on it for a month now and they love it. I spent a small fortune on different premium foods and Stan always got the runs and Maddie would just not eat it after a while. Now Stan is doing perfect poos every time for the first time in two years. I get the roo and sweet potato one as the chicken and duck one is tiny biscuits. Same as you Dobesrock it's only a small part of their diet, I feed much the same as you do so I'm happy with this kibble :)

I've noticed that a lot of the grain-free foods usually make up for the lack of grain by using heaps of vegetable which may work for some dogs but in others, it will result in huge poos, a very noticeable increase in gas and the dog being constantly hungry.

ToTW seems to be like this, even though it looks really good in theory. I feed mostly raw anyway but if kibble is needed, I'd be sticking to something like Ziwipeak (grain-free) or Wellness (contains grains but was tolerated very well here, better than Royal Canin or Black Hawk).

Couldn't find an ingredient list for the VIP products but I'd be reading that carefully to see how much meat you're actually getting there. VIP foods, in my experience, are pretty rubbish.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

The food is around $15 for 3 kilos. So not sure what people expect for that sort of price. It is a supermarket quality dog food. I'm not saying that to rubblish it bit you can't be comparing it to super expensive premium dog food. However if your dog does well on it - dance a happy jig! I would rather be spending $15 than $40.

I did try a bag with Poppy. I've noticed no negative effects. She likes eating it. Poos are ok. No weird coat things happening. Amber also ate some and she is super fussy. The fact that Amber didn't have issues with it would suggest that the meat content is fairly low.

I guess I'll just have to give it a try and see how they go :)

I'm aware that its not comparable to the more premium foods but given that it is only part (probably around half) of my dogs weekly diet and the other half is fresh, raw food then it should be ok. 3 of my dogs can eat just about anything and still look great but Simi (Bulldog) is more 'delicate' and needs a much better diet to keep her looking her best ;)