Hock Joint Laxity

AST-GM

My 10month old amstaff was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 6months. Xrays done by vet sent to orthepedic specailist. Left hip has the beginning of degenerative arthritis. The first signs were "swaying gait" and audible clicking in the hip joint.

We are managing the condition with :

-Glucosamine,Chondroton and MSM supplement

-Green lipped mussel capsules

-Ester C

- Hydrotherapy- To help strengthen the leg muscles to help support the weakened hip joint.

-2 x 15min daily walks on grass only

A month after he was diagnosed I noticed when he walks his hocks are popping out the the side. I mentioned this to the vet and he put it down to loose puppy ligaments. Has anybody seen this is a puppy or a dog with HD?

This only happens when he is walking slowly..when we are out for our walk and he starts "trot" he looks perfect you wouldnt even know he has hip problems/hock issue.

Would love to hear from anyone with some insight into this.

Edited by gede staf

Puppies with slipping hocks can have the hock easily pushed forward when standing and it is a serious structural fault that can be picked up at 8 weeks. I know they slip forward but am not sure if they can also slip sideways but assume it would be possible with an unstable joint. It is not generally associated with HD but is just a structural problem that varies from mild to severe. To my knowledge there is no successful treatment for it.