Avoiding Corso Zoomies

Kahnazhu

Hi All!

I've just become the proud mum of a 5 MO Cane Corso. She's a beautiful girl who loves a cuddle, but is also an absolute loon!

I'm trying to avoid the backyard Zoomies, so I'm hoping you all could give me some ideas of safe ways to expend her crazy amounts of energy?

Also, as a second question, could someone let me know the 'danger period'? The age when they are most vulnerable to joint issues?

Thanks!!

Why are you preventing her running around the back yard? A dog has to develop, exercise and grow, physical activity is a vital part of that. As long as it is not forced prolonged periods, jumping or falling off things let her go. Nothing worst then a locked up pup all grown up then watch the joint problems follow once they start 'normal' dog life.

Guest Labradork

I love zoomies... My 4-5 month old Lab goes bananas all over the house (the lounge room, my bedroom). She literally bouncess off the furniture. I think it's hilarious to watch and I'm jealous of her energy levels. I think she does it because she's happy and full of life.

The only thing I worry about with my two pugs doing zoomies through the house is that they have no brakes so they often crash into the walls :rofl:

(I tell them that's how come they have squished faces)

Edited by minimax

If you are worried about her doing them in the yard, then take her somewhere that is fenced and flat and let her go for it there.

I'm not a fan of dog parks, but we have a large leash free in our town and that's where I let my pups run wild, when there isn't anyone else there.

Edited by Pav Lova

Guest Labradork

If you are worried about her doing them in the yard, then take her somewhere that is fenced and flat and let her go for it there.

I'm not a fan of dog parks, but we have a large leash free in our town and that's where I let my pups run wild, when there isn't anyone else there.

The beach early in the morning is a good place for zoomies :)

Yep all ours do zoomies,its there body telling them to have fun.

Its usually short & sweet & then they stop.

We don't encourage it in the house at all far to dangerous & there is a time & place for it.

You won't stop it from happening

I am not sure what else to say, are you reading my replies?? The dog gets daily exercise he has had puppy training, no I don't take him to a school as such any more I try my best to train him at home and get my children involved in the training aswell. I have had dogs before and I worked full time with them too they were at home by themselves too and I have never had these problems, this dog is nuts. So try a behavior therapist???? Thats all I wanted to know and what I cam here for, advice on what to do to fix the problem :confused:

Puppy zoomies are good and the best type of exercise, so clear the decks and let the games begin :laugh:

I posted some info in this thread here (scroll down to post #27) on appropriate exercise for growing dogs that you may find useful.

Edited by espinay2

Thanks everyone! I was just a bit concerned as she doesn't do corners so well and ends up army rolling! Doesn't miss a beat, just keeps on zooming as she rolls out if it.

The only time she's restricted us during the day while we're at work, other than that she has free run. I think I'm just a little over cautious (read paranoid) after my last girl (great Dane x) having hip issues as I wasn't as educated about it as I am now. I just want to give her the best possible start :)

I sure do understand your concern.As said before though, it is just free play.They feel good & must expel energy.

My youngest girl is an absolute loonie most mornings around our backyard & although it doesn't usually last long, I cringe & wait hoping not to hear a loud yelp or

cry out if she hurts herself. She does sumasults, leaps in mid air, army rolls & puts the brakes on at the very last minute all at 100 miles an hour. Absolute nutter :eek: :laugh:

Yes it's hilarious to watch but very worrying. She has always done it & I think she always will as I would never stop her. Swear she will be the reason for me going grey :o

Only word of warning, don't get in your Corso's way, even though he is only a pup they are huge from the ones I have seen, he would surely flatten you :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

Why are you preventing her running around the back yard? A dog has to develop, exercise and grow, physical activity is a vital part of that. As long as it is not forced prolonged periods, jumping or falling off things let her go. Nothing worst then a locked up pup all grown up then watch the joint problems follow once they start 'normal' dog life.

Hi Nekhbet,

'Avoid' was probably the wrong word. Im not preventing her at all and I'm all for puppies being puppies, but when army rolls and skidding around corners is invloved then I get a bit concerned :eek: I just want to make sure it's not detrimental to her.

Maybe I need to find an empty paddock with big wide open space :)

Please don't be under the impression that she is a 'locked up pup' as that's not the case at all.

Thanks for your advice.

I sure do understand your concern.As said before though, it is just free play.They feel good & must expel energy.

My youngest girl is an absolute loonie most mornings around our backyard & although it doesn't usually last long, I cringe & wait hoping not to hear a loud yelp or

cry out if she hurts herself. She does sumasults, leaps in mid air, army rolls & puts the brakes on at the very last minute all at 100 miles an hour. Absolute nutter :eek: :laugh:

Yes it's hilarious to watch but very worrying. She has always done it & I think she always will as I would never stop her. Swear she will be the reason for me going grey :o

Only word of warning, don't get in your Corso's way, even though he is only a pup they are huge from the ones I have seen, he would surely flatten you :laugh:

Thanks for that BC Crazy! That makes me feel better. :rofl: good to hear I'm not the only one holding my breath and watching her acrobatics :)

I have learned to stay out of the way, as she does a very good job of scaring the pants off me when she turns in my direction!!

I will just take a xanax and watch from the kitchen :D

I understand and share your concern - my GSD broke his leg as a pup doing zoomies in the yard - he collided with my Kelpie cross who was also running, and landed badly (Kelpie was fine!).

I have that concern too Kavik. I think I'll just need to try and ensure that there's nothing in her way!

I hope your boy came through it ok?

Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from!

As a long term concern for hip and elbow health, I would be restricting stairs, long walks on lead and slippery surfaces.

the only time you usually get into trouble with zoomies is if there are multiple dogs or a human in the way, but accidents can happen.

good luck with your baby, I have meet a couple of Corso puppies lately and they are great dogs.

He had an external fixatur and crate rest and it certainly hurt the bank balance :laugh: . He is now nearly 9 years old, the leg seems to be holding up OK, there is more movement in it than the other leg when he walks, but it doesn't bother him.