Urgent : Samoyed Constantly ...

simplyvl

Hi all,

Hope you are all well.

For the past couple of weeks we realised that our Samoyed boy drinks a lot od water.

He also urinates a lot and I mean a lot.

Last night we saw him urinate 3 times in a period of 15 minutes .

Sometimes he doesnt sniff and just squarts and does his thing.

We spoken to our VET and they believe it's pretty normal and jsut to monitor him or get him in for a blood test.

He is no showing any other signs of UTI such as pain, licking, dark urine, cloudy and etc.

Our samoyed is very active, eats a lot , plays a lot and looks pretty normal.

Any help is much appreciated.

Depends on lots of things.

If its hot, if he is not desexed, he may be marking rather than peeing lots especially if he can scent a girl on heat somewhere in the air. If he has exercised heaps, what he has eaten, if he is old.

What some people think is a lot to drink others may think is normal. Variable from dog to dog too. Like people. I have no ideas how anyone can drink 2 litres of liquid/water a day I can't & there is nothing wrong, others drink more than that.

Only the vet can tell you what & if anything is wrong. If you are very worried go back again or get a 2nd opinion.

How old is your dog?

Is this level of drinking new?

I would want diabetes and kidney issues eliminated as causes if the level of drinking has gone up. Perhaps a second vet's opinion is called for.

More info.. How old is the dog? Is this a new thing? What are you feeding him and have you recently changed his diet?

Depends on lots of things.

If its hot, if he is not desexed, he may be marking rather than peeing lots especially if he can scent a girl on heat somewhere in the air. If he has exercised heaps, what he has eaten, if he is old.

What some people think is a lot to drink others may think is normal. Variable from dog to dog too. Like people. I have no ideas how anyone can drink 2 litres of liquid/water a day I can't & there is nothing wrong, others drink more than that.

Only the vet can tell you what & if anything is wrong. If you are very worried go back again or get a 2nd opinion.

your boy is what now ... around 12 weeks?

Unlike your vet.. it doesn't sound normal to me ..and I would suggest you get a urine sample tested ...

He is currently 11 weeks old. He does play a lot (running and wrestling with my existing dog) and yes I have changed his diet recently.

He used to be on chicken mince but ow he is on puppy food with rice.

I am also feeding him dried food (mainly for training only).

My existing dog is a male (not desexed).

Its been happening for the last couple of weeks.

Thank you so much fellow members. I am overwhelmed with the response.

He is currently 11 weeks old. He does play a lot (running and wrestling with my existing dog) and yes I have changed his diet recently.

They can drink more when fed dry food. Puppies can also be distracted while peeing and not finish what they started! But it is pretty easy to get a wee sample and get it tested for peace of mind.

Do a water test yourself as a starting point because "a lot" doesn't really tell anyone anything. Do this by keeping him completely separate from your other dog for 24 hours and measure the exact amount of water he drinks (I used to fill the water bowl 1 litre at a time, refill as necessary and measure any remaining at the end of 24 hours). It best not to do this on a hot day as that will influence water intake. Once you have a quantity water that has been consumed then a vet will be in a better place to see if it's excessive (in general most dogs will drink up to 100ml per kg of body weight per day; when my old dog was diagnosed diabetic she was consuming 2.2L even though she only weighed 17kg so this was a significant amount more than she should have been drinking and clearly indicated more tests were needed). Also a urine test and blood test wouldn't go astray even if it does end up for you having peace of mind. I don't know anything about Samoyds, but they seem to have a lot of hair!!! Maybe they don't cope with change of temperature as well as other breeds? Like I said I've got no idea. But if you're worried and the vet you're seeing isn't putting your mind at ease go and see a different vet for a second opinion.

My female husky pees heaps so we had her blood tested, liver and kidneys and everything was fine she is in perfect health. Sometimes she will do 3 small pees within 15 minutes but she can easily hold on for long car trips etc for many hours. She also drinks heaps.

Can your boy hold it if he wants too or does he always pee at short intervals? If he can't hold it then I would definitely have him tested.

Our male husky doesn't drink or pee nearly as much but he is healthy too and considering they have a very similar diet and exercise regime it seems like it is just different for different dogs.

We had our girl tested just to be safe, if it was something bad and we hadn't got her tested since it would cost $50 I wouldn't be able to live with myself. You could also visit a different vet to get a second opinion.

My 5 months old Samoyed has always drank a lot of water, but to me it's a lot because he is a bigger dog and he love water. Plus, he is a crazy thing and very energetic, so I think he needs it. Especially with the warmer weather now, he drinks a bit more.

As for peeing.. at 12 weeks he went to toilet 1 time every hour, and he gets really easy distracted that he will pee and stop, investigate, pee then stop, investigate more. I had to teach him how to pee on command..

If you are still unsure go to another vet.

PS: I have a CKCS x that drinks water like a camel. Only have one massive drink before bed and that will last time for the whole night and day. He will have 2 or 3 drinks of water a day if it's been a very hot or very active day.

Edited by W Sibs

They can drink more when fed dry food. Puppies can also be distracted while peeing and not finish what they started! But it is pretty easy to get a wee sample and get it tested for peace of mind.

..perhaps he is drinking a lot more because of the dry food ? His previous diet was moist ...

Do a water test yourself as a starting point because "a lot" doesn't really tell anyone anything. Do this by keeping him completely separate from your other dog for 24 hours and measure the exact amount of water he drinks (I used to fill the water bowl 1 litre at a time, refill as necessary and measure any remaining at the end of 24 hours). It best not to do this on a hot day as that will influence water intake. Once you have a quantity water that has been consumed then a vet will be in a better place to see if it's excessive (in general most dogs will drink up to 100ml per kg of body weight per day; when my old dog was diagnosed diabetic she was consuming 2.2L even though she only weighed 17kg so this was a significant amount more than she should have been drinking and clearly indicated more tests were needed). Also a urine test and blood test wouldn't go astray even if it does end up for you having peace of mind. I don't know anything about Samoyds, but they seem to have a lot of hair!!! Maybe they don't cope with change of temperature as well as other breeds? Like I said I've got no idea. But if you're worried and the vet you're seeing isn't putting your mind at ease go and see a different vet for a second opinion.

My female husky pees heaps so we had her blood tested, liver and kidneys and everything was fine she is in perfect health. Sometimes she will do 3 small pees within 15 minutes but she can easily hold on for long car trips etc for many hours. She also drinks heaps.

Can your boy hold it if he wants too or does he always pee at short intervals? If he can't hold it then I would definitely have him tested.

Our male husky doesn't drink or pee nearly as much but he is healthy too and considering they have a very similar diet and exercise regime it seems like it is just different for different dogs.

We had our girl tested just to be safe, if it was something bad and we hadn't got her tested since it would cost $50 I wouldn't be able to live with myself. You could also visit a different vet to get a second opinion.

Thanks all.

That's what the VET suggested as well that we seperate him and monitor his water consumption.

He seems very active and happy, which is a good sign.

But yes we will be taking him for a blood/urine test just for a peace of mind.

I also suspect that he is distracted and goes multiple times in a short period of time.

Although he has only been with us for 3 weeks we love him dearly and will do whatever it takes to give him a happy and healthy life.

Will keep everyone posted.

=)

Edited by simplyvl