Just Sad.

WExtremeG

Just found out a couple of days ago through FB, that a dog that came into my partners family earlier this year (and left a few months later) is now being used as a source of income from the scum who took him on because his new home didn't work out.

This of course could have all been prevented had he of been desexed (who would have thunk it??)

My partner's dad is in denial, and I'm angry- angry that they GAVE away a whole male dog, angry that they didn't contact the breeder for help (who made it clear that they didn't want him used as a breeding animal from word go), angry that they trusted those who took him to do the right thing.

So if a dog or bitch (note- adult, not puppy) is returned to you- do you desex it before it is then rehomed again or do you let the new owners decide?

*Note this dog had already been in a previous home- which didn't work out and the dog was given back to his breeder at around 15 months who then rehomed him to my partners family-

Anyway- guess just writing this makes me feel a bit better as my partner doesn't want to talk about it and like I said, his dad is in denial - kind of like sweeping it under the rug.

There's no getting through to some people I guess.

We offered to help them with the dog -being that he was no puppy when they got him and had some behavioural issues that could have been sorted with some proper training- they were not new to his breed- as had owned one before.

They have no idea where this dog is (the people who have him won't answer calls ect) as they weren't friends of the family like my partner and I first thought.

Why sell any dog without desexing it? no different to a breeder selling a litter of pups as pets not desexed .

I would prefer all breeders to desex dogs not suitable to be bred from, but thats never going to happen.

Yeah, was quite surprised when I saw that he wasn't desexed when they got him, and on Main register papers. of course the people breeding him are using it to their full advantage and selling the pups for what a pure registered litter would go for.

Edited by WExtremeG

This will start a huge debate which has been done to death. We all have different opinions, mine is that most breeds are fine to desex when they are sold. Rescue has done it for years, so why can't everyone else?

The pro's outweigh the cons in my book. :(

I think it should have been too, i was just trying to point out it was no different than when him and his littermates were sold at the start.

I have an ex breeders dog, and the condition i got her was she was desexed before i got her, which was fine with me.

The rescue I work with desexes from 3 months. Some are done a little older dependent on if they come with health problems that need treating first. I didn't get my heart girl (a rescue) desexed till she was 6 months and she has some incontinence issues that I think resulted from early desex but it is manageable. Mind you, I once got asked to care for an SBT a few days short of her first birthday with what was supposedly a phantom pregnancy. The owner was hardly gone before she started to whelp. She had a terrible time with it and needed a cesarean (two stuck dead pups) and two days later all the internal stitches gave way and her innards become outards so she had more emergency surgery. That poor girl was sick, in pain, dealing with all these puppies that suddenly appeared and missing her owner terribly. I remember sleeping upright on the floor of my laundry with her leaning against me so she could sleep upright because lying down hurt her too much. Her owner turned up several months later and she would not give him the time of day. I had that lovely girl in my life for another 16 years and I had one of her pups return to me at 6 months (for health reasons) and he lived till he was 12.5. The worst part was that because I didn't actually own her I couldn't get her desexed until her ar*sewipe owner turned up again. No young dog should go through what she did.

If I was rehoming a dog, I'd ask them what they wanted it for? If it's just for a pet then there's no reason why it shouldn't be desexed unless through questioning it's someone you may want to place it with on terms if it's a breeding prospect. If they wanted it for show or breeding it would come down to a discussion on their commitment to it, intentions and experience so I can't give a clearcut answer except to say that unless there is a very good reason to leave entire, desexing would be the only option.

If I was rehoming a dog, I'd ask them what they wanted it for? If it's just for a pet then there's no reason why it shouldn't be desexed unless through questioning it's someone you may want to place it with on terms if it's a breeding prospect. If they wanted it for show or breeding it would come down to a discussion on their commitment to it, intentions and experience so I can't give a clearcut answer except to say that unless there is a very good reason to leave entire, desexing would be the only option.

Yes, that's what I would do -access the situation for what it is- and I expect most would do the same- My partners parents do not breed or show and never have. They keep dogs as strictly pets and the breeder obviously thought that this dog was going to its last 'forever home' and was going to be safe from breeding (so easy how things can fall through the cracks) :( I do know that my partners dad has a preference for entire males even though he's never bred. I do not know why my partners dad didn't give the dog back to its breeder, but can only guess it had something to do with pride.

This will start a huge debate which has been done to death. We all have different opinions, mine is that most breeds are fine to desex when they are sold. Rescue has done it for years, so why can't everyone else?

The pro's outweigh the cons in my book. :(

A Breeders responsibility is to ensure that the pups that they bring into the world are given EVERY chance of developing into healthy sound long lived adults, juvenile desexing does not fit into the picture here with many breeds. Rescue is a completely different ball park.

Why sell any dog without desexing it? no different to a breeder selling a litter of pups as pets not desexed .

I would prefer all breeders to desex dogs not suitable to be bred from, but thats never going to happen.

Of course breeders always know what's suitable to be bred from at 8 weeks. NOT

Rescue may have decided that breeding another generation of dogs is the greater evil than adverse development caused by juvenile desexing but thank God many breeders have not.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It is different from a breeder selling a litter of pups undesexed. The debate you raise is around juvenile desexing, not desexing of adult dogs being rehomed, which is what this thread is about.

And how many breeders sell their pups at 8/10 weeks and keep in touch to see if they worth breeding from?

Many are sold and are never seen again, for the owner to do as they please.

will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Actually SG, what i am saying ( abeit badly :laugh: ), is that if someone is going to make money and breed from a dog they are just as likely to do it at any age, not just a mature dog.

However ,yes i see more of a reason why a mature dog should be desexed before being rehomed. I suppose it could be because they don't fetch the money pups do so don't want to pay for the op too.

Yes I thought that would be your argument juice. I guess most breeders decide that the definite risks of desexing their puppies as babies outweigh the potential risks of the people they place them risk breeding irresponsibly from them.

Re the OP, I'm sure many breeders would love to check in with their pups at 12-18 months to see how they've turned out, and most likely desex them if they were then going to rehome them so I too find it odd that this breeder didn't. Sadly the dog has paid for it. Let's hope he isn't treated too badly :(