What Should You Have In A Comprehensive Dog First Aid Kit?

Salukifan

What should be in it folks?

I'm keen to put a good first aid kit together and am seeking input as to what drugs etc you should have on hand for common emergencies.

I'll add one - discussed with my Whippet mentor today. If folk add others, recommended dosage where applicable would be useful and i'll copy them all into this first post. Pav Lova - this is your big chance!!

Polarmine - low dose antihistamine - useful for stings and allergic reactions. Dodger came in from outside last night looking very puffy around the eyes. Likely to have been a sting of some kind I think.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

hmmm let me go and pull it out of the trailer.

My tips are to have things that fix dogs when they shit, vomit, bleed or generally break :laugh: I have most emergencies covered for a weekend away and with the exception of major accidents involving compound fractures, broken legs or large wounds, I can get away with not needing a vet

ETA: the contents of my kit

sports tape 2cm's

elastoplast 7.5cm's

vet wrap 7.5 & 10cm's

scissors

tweezers

hemostats

basic dressing pack (it's a prepacked disposable sterile pack )

gauze swabs

cotton balls

melolin dressing

gloves

water for irrigation

injectable saline

jelonet dressing

21g needles

syringes in 3ml, 5 and 10

eye pad

crepe bandage

lubricant

cotton buds

medi-swabs

safety pins

various little bandages, for dressing toes etc

condy's crystals ( torn toe nails, pads )

boracic acid ( eye wash )

chlorhex concentrate ( if ugly things like pyoderma rear their heads )

gastrolyte ( for rehydrating dogs )

rapigel ( linament)

penetrene ( linament )

frontline ( just incase we come across a flea infested show ground)

dermaid creme ( for me and the dogs LOL )

nutrigel

neocort ( I use it on bites, minor cuts, any minor infections that crop up )

Clavulox ( antibiotic tablets )

carprophen ( anti-inflam )

anitihistamine (bites, allergic reactions, hives )

buscopan (vomiting dogs with tense tummies )

Maxolon ( vomiting dogs, car sick dogs )

asprin (minor sprains and strains )

scourban ( for when the wrong kind of poo comes out )

curash powder ( used for under arm rashes, belly rashes etc )

curash cream ( same )

Ace ( for when you need to knock someone out or sedate a dog )

Vytrate and Recharge ( general rehydration on hot days or after hard work outs )

a big pack of horse padded cotton dressing, if I need to pad out a leg

thermometre

poultice dressing

lectic soda crystals ( to make a dog vomit )

pliers

Malaseb ( skin wash or ear cleansers )

behave paste

I have to check the front of the trailer as there's more in there

thermal blanket

adjustable muzzle

ETATA: some of the things I have double up but there are times when I look at a rash or shin condition and decide if I want to dry it out, sooth it, take pain away etc , so I have a few options

Edited by Pav Lova

I'm assuming as far as drugs you only mean over the counter type drugs dont you?

When I rode on the National Trail my vet let me have some serious horsey ones but only after we'd discussed it carefully, when they might be needed, and he'd written dosages etc.

I'm not sure what drugs I'd put in a dog first aid kit, this will be interesting to see, yes, polaramine would be one though, I've used it on my dogs a number of times. Also lectric soda crystals, bought in the laundry aisle of the supermarket, good for making your dog puke. a finger nail sized crystal down their throat should hopefully make them sick up within about 5 minutes.

Edited by Kirislin

Perhaps HW you can start a list and add with edits in your first post as we go?

Tick removing tool

Soda crystals to help them vomit

Vet wrap

Little sachets of lube and a thermometer for taking temperatures

Saline

Betadine

Scourban

Wound dressings

F10

I'd have to check the actual box tonight at home tho', sure there are things I have forgotten.

Lots of cotton padding and vet wrap so you can do a Robert Jones Bandage http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/orthopod/csfr/terms/robertjonesbandagecipage.htm

A print out of how to do the bandage

Normal saline

ETA

Lectade Sachets- or another rehydration mixture

And more print out/cheat sheets of what to do in different emergencies!!!! Not much point having a first aid kit unless people know how to use all the different bits in an emergency :)

Edited by Jumabaar

hmmm let me go and pull it out of the trailer.

My tips are to have things that fix dogs when they shit, vomit, bleed or generally break :laugh: I have most emergencies covered for a weekend away and with the exception of major accidents involving compound fractures, broken legs or large wounds, I can get away with not needing a vet

ETA: the contents of my kit

Pav could you please add to the medicines in your kit saying what you use them for?

I'm assuming as far as drugs you only mean over the counter type drugs dont you?

When I rode on the National Trail my vet let me have some serious horsey ones but only after we'd discussed it carefully, when they might be needed, and he'd written dosages etc.

I'm not sure what drugs I'd put in a dog first aid kit, this will be interesting to see, yes, polaramine would be one though, I've used it on my dogs a number of times. Also lectric soda crystals, bought in the laundry aisle of the supermarket, good for making your dog puke. a finger nail sized crystal down their throat should hopefully make them sick up within about 5 minutes.

Yes please. This is for minor issues, not for when you need a vet.

Basic question now: How big a bag is your first aid kit in and where did you get it. Pics encouraged!!

Colour is a given - red!!

I have three "advance" cooler bars that are seperated into different needs, I have mostly bandage in one, creams, tablets etc in another

. They are clipped together and I have a basket in the front of my trailer that has the things that I may need but they won't be needed in an emergency, that stuff is on the cooler bags

I feel redundant after Pav's post, but I have bandages, gauze pads, neocort, syringe, saline, betadine cream, antihistamine, non-medicated eye drops, de-gas, rapigel, tick remover thingy, thermometer, aspirin, soda crystals to induce vomiting, some electrolyte sachets, a towel and stingose.

I've never had to use any of it except the rapigel for me, and the stingose for other exhibitors.

I'd like to carry some of the things Pav has, but my vet wouldn't issue them just for a first aid kit, damn it.

Edited by Diva

From memory:

tweezers

haemostats

dental floss (tying umbilcal cords and misc)

betadine

saline flushes - squeezy tubes are great for wound cleaning

vitamin E cream - wound healing

Sudocrem - as above

vetwrap

non stick gauze pads - wounds again

bigger pads - for dressings and/or wounds & bleeding

vitamin C - a mainstay. Usually held in oral (sodium ascorbate powder) and injectable form for snake season

20ml syriges - tube feeding and vit C injections. lso good for wound flushing is saline squeezies have run out

5ml syringes - as above

thermometer

small tubes - tube feeding

AB eye ointment

electrolyte replacer

Ummm. possibly other meds that come and go. Mine sometimes has other stuff due to wildlife first aid etc as well.

Guest Labradork

Gauze/bandages

Elastoplast

Safety pins

Scissors

Tweezers

Alcohol swabs

Cotton balls/buds

Tea tree oil

Bach Rescue Remedy

Traumeel homeopathic cream (for bites, stings, rashes)

Vitamin C powder (for snake bites)

Syringes

Saline solution

Canaural ear drops

Tricin (antibiotic eye ointment)

Betadine

Neocort (for more serious skin problems)

Zyrtec

Aspirin

Lidocaine

Hand towel

Polar fleece blanket

What I don’t have but want:

Thermometer

Lectic Soda crystals

Electrolyte replacer

Gel heat/ice pack thingy

ETA:

A thermal blanket is probably better than a polar fleece one, but polar fleece is so nice to snuggle up to when you're feeling under the weather.

Edited by Labradork