Silky Terrier Puppy

Laraine

Hello everyone

I am a newbie with an adorable 5 month old Silky Terrier puppy called Milly. I am wondering when her black and tan colours will change, I thought it would have happened by now. She has a tiny patch of silver on the top of her head but that is all. From memory my original Silky had changed by her age. Are there any Silky owners on the forum who might know.

Congrats on your new puppy Laraine -- we definitely need pictures!!

I should think that Milly will eventually lighten up and 5 months is still young regarding coats. Kirah, my Aussie Terrier, didn't get a lot of her tan colouring until after 6 months.

There is a Silky Terrier thread in the Breed Sub-Forums: Australian Silky Terrier Forum. Head in there and post away; they're a very knowledgeable bunch!!! :D

Sounds like its already starting to break, as oakway mentioned it can take up to 18mths, as the silvering is the adult colour.

Don't think desexing effects colouring from memory, as my cousin had a desexed one and turned silver, but if your not going to breed etc desexing is a good option ;)

Although in some cases you can get a black and tan silky which won't silver out, rarely happens but does occur.