Natural Rearing Advice

Mumscats

For those jumping in with criticism, the OP hasn't qualified how much or what sort of meat the dog is having, although has clearly stated that it does have it's meat meal in the evenings.

The described diet sounds very closely modelled on Juiliette De Bairacli Levy diet which has been used for decades to improve the health of a great number of dogs. Although grain free is considered the modern norm, that doesn't diminish the great results people have had with it over many years.

My own dogs still have milk porridge over winter which assists in maintaining their condition in very cold weather. It is also still common practice with a good many Greyhound folk.

No one is saying they need to go grain free, just cut down.

Why would a dog need milk after being weaned?

They don't but at the same time there's no harm in them having some, providing they can tolerate it.

My Greys have a milk powder made up , combined with electrolytes after racing or a trial, it's just more palatable to them, than having a drink of water and provides some additional calories and calcium until they can be taken home and fed

All of my dogs get milk - because I have it laid on for free with a milking cow and a milking goat . Because they have always had it they still make lactase and so have no reaction other than telling me they love me for letting them drink it.

Down from what though? The OP hasn't given any quantities of any food stuffs.

Folks are quick to jump in with increase this or decrease that with almost no information.

I'm quite happy to give my greyhounds a feed of porridge during winter as well. Certainly does help with keeping the weight on and they love it. A nice warm milky feed in the morning, often while the temp is below freezing = bliss for my dogs. Then inside onto my bed :laugh:

Edited by Rebanne

Down from what though? The OP hasn't given any quantities of any food stuffs.

Folks are quick to jump in with increase this or decrease that with almost no information.

Down from oats for breakfast every day...

How many oats does she have? A cupful? A spoonful? A pinch? So you want to cut down the amount? What amount? By how much?

Or you don't agree with feeding oats? That's fine. Yet others have said they are not trying to tell the OP to go grain free, just cut down... OP may be happy to feed oats. Do oats have a negative effect on reproductive activity? Is it helping with the OP's questions? Or is that just an opinion about what one person likes to feed?

How many oats does she have? A cupful? A spoonful? A pinch? So you want to cut down the amount? What amount? By how much?

Or you don't agree with feeding oats? That's fine. Yet others have said they are not trying to tell the OP to go grain free, just cut down... OP may be happy to feed oats. Do oats have a negative effect on reproductive activity? Is it helping with the OP's questions? Or is that just an opinion about what one person likes to feed?

Whilst on the other hand, your comments are being extremely helpful :)

Not

I use oats and milk powder as a fattener, if I have a dog that just wont get the weight on BUT it's not used long term. Enough to get the condition on and it's an extra meal added in the day, I wouldnt feed it long term.