Where Do You Get Playpens From?

Niki8

Hi guys,

Just a quick question…I want to buy a playpen for our lab pup for when we play with him inside (otherwise we have a nice big garden and can safely play outside together). I have found lots of baby playpens for a reasonable price but I am worried that they will not be stable enough. Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baby-Kids-Toddler-Deluxe-Natural-Wooden-Playpen-Divider-Safety-Gate-8-Panel-/350619544643?pt=AU_Safety&hash=item51a28dac43

Thanks to Dancinbcs suggestion of Oz Grooming World for crates, I discovered some good quality playpens there as well but they are quite expensive.

http://www.ozgroomingworld.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=49_130&product_id=268

Maybe this is a normal price for quality, I am just wondering if someone else has some experience with inside playpens. Thanks lots :)

I found baby gates to close off rooms easier than playpens, especially for a stronger pup who really just knocks down play pens (or like my Pug, discovered that it wasn't bolted down and just moved it around the room with her to where she wanted to go :rofl: )

I've been very happy with the 8 panel pens that I have got from Deals Direct.

They unfortunately don't have the exact one I've purchased, but here's a six panel one with shorter sides to give you an example:

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/pet-enclosure-8-panels/

I believe I spent about $70 for 8 panels.

I have also bought cheap pens from Cheap As Chips. They're much poor quality, but I actually haven't had it break yet... :laugh:

I think I spent about $30 for 5 panels from Cheap As Chips.

I have found that for bigger puppies and for indoor use, the wire compost pens from Bunnings are excellent. They aren't expensive either. I purchased two, used a couple of extra panels to make the pen larger and the remaining panels were cable tied as "lids" which also helped them to keep their size, shape and strength.

I second the wire Compost bins from Bunnings. 4 pannels for around $25 (I bought 8 pannels) and some zipties to fix them together.

Reggie has only just figured out she can jump out at 4 months. But she now has limited access to the house so I don't use it as much anyway.

I also bought another set to fence off a small garden bed that has anoyingly sticky seeds (long hair) and Reggie's had no interest in scaling that one so far :)

The pen you linked is not tall enough to contain a lab puppy.

Have a look here; http://shop.vebopet.com.au/store/dogs/dog-pen-dog-run/?page=2

I've used Vebo Pets in the past, but the last time I bought something on line, they delivered the wrong item. Despite the fact that I needed a crate urgently, they would not deliver the right item until I'd sent the wrong one back. That is, they would not bring out the correct item and take the wrong one back in one delivery - very rude and unaccommodating.

I second the wire Compost bins from Bunnings. 4 pannels for around $25 (I bought 8 pannels) and some zipties to fix them together

Thirded.

My Labrador turns three in January and still occasionally sleeps in his Bunnings playpen when it's hot. He's never attempted to climb out, but he did need to be trained not to stand up (on his hind legs) against it.

Edited by Niques

Thank you so much for all your comments everyone :)

LOL minimax :D Clever doggie :rofl:

Originally I was aiming for something which would look like a piece of furniture, that’s why I looked at baby playpens. The link for the one from Oz Grooming World looked in a way similar and high quality. Yep, the one in the link may not be high enough SecretKei, but they sell another one 90cm high.

I like all your ideas, the wire Compost Bin from Bunnings is an excellent idea, I am just worried it won’t last…I have read an article somewhere yesterday about how pups from between 5-6 months start to push their boundaries and sometimes it may look like they have forgotten all the training you’ve done with them. They suggested in the article to start using playpens at that age again to reinforce the training and not to end up with chewed furniture and all the other items. Then slowly start letting them out under supervision.

So it must me something which will last. I believe at six month, our pup should be around 75% of their adult size, so he will be a big and strong boy already.

I looked at vebopet as well (I did yesterday already) and they have really good dog runs but I can’t really imagine to have something like that inside.

I am not a big fan of having a top on the playpen as when we are indoor with the pup, we will be sitting in the playpen and playing with the pup there. The pup will also have a proper crate inside the playpen.

Sorry, I don’t want to sound picky, I should have been more specific in my original post and I am really grateful for all your comments…huge thanks to you all...

I am thinking that we may buy some baby playpen and attach it to two walls and the floor to make it more stable…?

I am not a big fan of having a top on the playpen as when we are indoor with the pup, we will be sitting in the playpen and playing with the pup there. The pup will also have a proper crate inside the playpen.

A playpen is best used for quiet time and containment, you want your pup to learn to relax in there and entertain itself when you can't (similar to a crate). Perhaps consider playing with your pup outside instead - more room and more fun. smile.gif

If you wanted to gate off a corner there are some very large baby gates designed to do so and also pens which can be attached to a wall with brackets. I'll see if I can find you a link...

from memory these come with wall brackets http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Extra-Tall-8-Panel-Pet-Dog-Run-Enclosure-Pen-Crate-Cage-/270830050386?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3f0eba9c52#ht_2224wt_1398

Edited by SecretKei

A playpen is best used for quiet time and containment, you want your pup to learn to relax in there and entertain itself when you can't (similar to a crate). Perhaps consider playing with your pup outside instead - more room and more fun. smile.gif

If you wanted to gate off a corner there are some very large baby gates designed to do so and also pens which can be attached to a wall with brackets. I'll see if I can find you a link...

from memory these come with wall brackets http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2224wt_1398

Completely agree and can I suggest you rethink this and use a crate only. Use the crate for containment as you suggest and play with your pup in the room or outside. I can't honestly imagine what sorts of games you could play with a six month old Labrador inside a play pen of any size.

Also...be careful if using a "human" playpen as puppies & small dogs can easily get their heads caught in them :( Also if using a pen for confinement, never bend over & lift your pup out over the top...always have a gate to open. Otherwise the pup quickly learns that the way out is over the top.

Edited by sheena

EDIT: I did go back and re read, I must've missed something said above. I dont' know if what I'm looking for is plausable. But i'll leave it here anyway.

Sorry to hijack and ask my own questions, but is there such a pen/safe zone/crate that would confine a Beagle pup and then allow the older dog, Golden Retriever, access when we aren't home. I don't know if this would work, but I had a visual in my head. Just so pup isn't alone when we are out, and older dog can keep company. (If it works out that way.)

I have a big corner of the room I was thinking of blocking off with a wooden childs playpen with everything in it, including a big bed for my GR. Only problem is i'd prefer him to go outside to do his thing, so something he'd be able to get out of easily. I also assume Beagle pups migh be little enough to wriggle through the wooden playpen.

Edited by Llante

Thanks for the comments…looks like there is still lots and lots for me to learn, no surprise for a first time dog owner. From the books I have read, I understood that all the playing (if not done outdoor – which I hope on most days will be our case) is done in the playpen where the pup does not have a chance to chew on all different items (like chairs etc.),just on his chew toys…that’s why I imagined we would play with him in a playpen…that was the plan for bad weather days when the pup would not enjoy the play outside (I mean for us it’s not a big deal to play with him in the garden if it rains but will he really like it? I truly don’t know as we havn’t had a dog yet :) )

I must admit I haven’t thought it through, I don’t think we would play with him in the playpen when he is 6 month old but I guess I would possibly use it when I had to go to have a shower and my parner wasn’t around and it was horrible weather outside or similar…

How do you then train your pup not to chew furniture? Do you just use a crate? By saying that I don’t really care about our furniture but maybe one day I’ll buy a piece I wouldn’t want to have destroyed so I think it’s a good idea to have our darling trained :D

What we did when we got our BC puppy was this......we have verandas around the house, so OH sectioned off part of the veranda with sides high enough that he cant jump or climb out & a gate at the front. On this small section of the veranda he has a kennel (which he has chewed up but is still functional) & safe toys to play with. He is normally outside during the day, but if we need to confine him, we put him on HIS veranda. At night he sleeps in his wire crate (covered) inside the house. He is now 19 months old & still cannot be trusted not to chew things...he is so quick. He has just graduated to being allowed to travel on the back seat of the car, but I put a muzzle on him & he doesn't seem to mind this at all, as long as I put a yummy treat inside. :thumbsup: He is also allowed inside if he has his muzzle on.

Hi guys,

Just a quick question…I want to buy a playpen for our lab pup for when we play with him inside (otherwise we have a nice big garden and can safely play outside together). I have found lots of baby playpens for a reasonable price but I am worried that they will not be stable enough. Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baby-Kids-Toddler-Deluxe-Natural-Wooden-Playpen-Divider-Safety-Gate-8-Panel-/350619544643?pt=AU_Safety&hash=item51a28dac43

Thanks to Dancinbcs suggestion of Oz Grooming World for crates, I discovered some good quality playpens there as well but they are quite expensive.

http://www.ozgroomingworld.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=49_130&product_id=268

Maybe this is a normal price for quality, I am just wondering if someone else has some experience with inside playpens. Thanks lots :)

Look at the wire pens at Oz Grooming World, not the aluminium ones. Also have a look at the prices on Vebo for wire pens. The really light ones from places like GoLo and Deals Direct will not be strong enough for more than the first couple of weeks. The Bunnings compost panels work well for most breeds too but Border Collies climb them.

Thanks for the comments…looks like there is still lots and lots for me to learn, no surprise for a first time dog owner. From the books I have read, I understood that all the playing (if not done outdoor – which I hope on most days will be our case) is done in the playpen where the pup does not have a chance to chew on all different items (like chairs etc.),just on his chew toys…that’s why I imagined we would play with him in a playpen…that was the plan for bad weather days when the pup would not enjoy the play outside (I mean for us it’s not a big deal to play with him in the garden if it rains but will he really like it? I truly don’t know as we havn’t had a dog yet :) )

I must admit I haven’t thought it through, I don’t think we would play with him in the playpen when he is 6 month old but I guess I would possibly use it when I had to go to have a shower and my parner wasn’t around and it was horrible weather outside or similar…

How do you then train your pup not to chew furniture? Do you just use a crate? By saying that I don’t really care about our furniture but maybe one day I’ll buy a piece I wouldn’t want to have destroyed so I think it’s a good idea to have our darling trained :D

Not allowing access to furniture isn't training them to not chew it. To train to not chew something, you allow access and then disciplne when they show a behaviour you don't want.

I have two completely puppy proof rooms, and the rest of the house they are allowed access to unsupervised as there isn't much damage they can do.

I think your pups going to want a bigger space to play than a few square meters of a pen.

If you play with him in his playpen, then want to use it to confine him when you are showering etc then he won't settle in it. I would have him out with you when you can supervise and use the pen when you can't. So I would teach him pen is quiet time.

I train my dogs in the house but never do zoomie games or play raz up games inside. These are for outside as I do not want dogs racing around and through the hosue. They can do that outside.

Edited by OSoSwift