Back Button Focusing

CrazyCresties

A couple of weeks ago I thought I'd give back button focusing a try :) It took a bit of getting used to, but I really like it now. I love having the focus separate from the shutter, although more than a few times I'm focusing from the back and try to take the shot with the same button :laugh:

A bit about it here - http://improvephotography.com/4552/back-button-focusing/

Also for the first time today I took a leap and used manual mode for most of the shoot :eek: I've always used AV 99% of the time, but today the exposure was tricky with a yellow lab,a choc lab and a black schnauzer all in the mix :laugh: So I thought bugger it, I'm sure by now I should be able to do this manually - and I did :D I was very pleased that I finally trusted my judgment enough, and the results were far better than letting the camera guess in that situation :)

Arghhh how annoying I just did a big reply then it disappeared!

I have been using BBF since about a week after I got my 7D it's great. I set it up so it's the middle button that focuses, I still sometimes forget and use the shutter. Old habits ey!

Today

I've been using manual more, I find sometimes with being in AV if the dogs are running the shutters not quite fast enough unless I bump up the iso so if I got to manual and make my shutter speed a bit faster I'm getting better results.

Can you share any from today?

Can you share any from today?

Not yet, need to finish the golden retriever ones first, damn full time job getting in the way :laugh:

Oh I meant to ask you have you been using AIServo on moving subjects? It works soooo good! I love it.

Yup always switch to that mode for moving things - birds, surfers, hoverflies etc :)

Seems like I'm a bit late to the BBF party :laugh: