Breed Clubs Advertising

Scarlet

Even though the internet should make it easier for the general public to find registered breeders I still think a lot of the public have little understanding of registered breeders and the advantages of purchasing their pup from them.

I speak to people who think registered dogs are only for people who want to show etc. Sometimes people are surprised that you buy pets from registered breeders.

Would it be worth the different breed organisations put adds in their local paper with a link to a phone no or web site advertising current or upcoming litters?

Even though the internet should make it easier for the general public to find registered breeders I still think a lot of the public have little understanding of registered breeders and the advantages of purchasing their pup from them.

I speak to people who think registered dogs are only for people who want to show etc. Sometimes people are surprised that you buy pets from registered breeders.

Would it be worth the different breed organisations put adds in their local paper with a link to a phone no or web site advertising current or upcoming litters?

Good idea except that it cost money to advertise in places like that and there aren't enough purebred puppies to fill the demand now.

If more people know how to find them and there arent any available its not worth spending money to get them there.

The dobe club of vic used to advertise the club and puppy / rescue line in the Trading post years ago but the cost of it was not worth it in the end as we weren't getting any interest. Dont' know what they do now.

Don't mean to sound like a snob but I will only advertise my puppies via DOL - I tried a couple of other sites some time ago and have found that the calibre of applicants is much higher through DOL. With our breed I think that this is very important as I will never sell a puppy to a guard / protection / ego accessory hunting person. Doing that does nothing for our breed profile or our kennel profile and this is something that we really need to be aware of and protect. The majority of our puppies have homes prior to being born and this is via our DOL profiles / our own website or referrals from puppy owners or other dobe people. DOL all the way for this little black duck :D .

I just wanted to put my hand up and say I'm a general public that had no idea about the benefit of registered breeders. It all started when I questioned the price of a pet store pup, which led to findings of puppy mills! I then looked elsewhere like gumtree and petlink to find mostly BYB. I then came here confused, and found out exactly why registered breeders are worth the extra!

What about education within the community? This isn't something you could do alone though, it would take clubs, media and government funding. Stories like the Sick Border Collie Pup make fantastic factual background for these.

I would like to see information on where to get a dog in pet stores.Replace the glass boxes with an information desk where you can get advise on what breed of dog may suit you and where you can buy one from ; given lists of breeders ,breed clubs,rescue groups,and shelters.Also basic information about how to care for a dog and where to find a puppy school,vet,dog training.A one stop area for all the information you need to find a pet and care for them.

I can imagine that paid advertising would be a no no for the majority of breed clubs, who are all not for profit and scrape by financially anyway.

Pet shops being on side and offering info and referral to breed clubs or State bodies would be a big help. But they are businesses, and in reality there would want to be something in it for them. Some better run and marketed ones would no doubt see the potential for forming loyal customer bases for all the goods that accompany a dog purchase. But others would really only look at the here and now - giving out staff time for nothing.

Its true. It's a real issue. The general public generally just dont know about reg breeders and go through gumtree/pet shops. They're honestly baffled when you bring up the issues with doing this.

Makes it hard when breeders don't want to advertise in these places as it means the person doesn't have any option there but BYBs. But of a catch 22 I think, but I think if breeders want people to buy well bred dogs from them they need to advertise where these people are looking.

The pet shop information centre is a good idea...in a perfect world hey :laugh:

Its true. It's a real issue. The general public generally just dont know about reg breeders and go through gumtree/pet shops. They're honestly baffled when you bring up the issues with doing this.

Makes it hard when breeders don't want to advertise in these places as it means the person doesn't have any option there but BYBs. But of a catch 22 I think, but I think if breeders want people to buy well bred dogs from them they need to advertise where these people are looking.

The pet shop information centre is a good idea...in a perfect world hey :laugh:

I can go to a pet expo and get information about where to get a pure breed dog but can't get the same info from a pet shop.I guess thats funny too...:laugh:

Edited by Purdie

I can go to a pet expo and get information about where to get a pure breed dog but can't get the same info from a pet shop.I guess thats funny too...:laugh:

Because Pet expos and Pet shops have different purposes. Why would pet shops try and talk you into buying a registered purebred when they have a window full of BYB mutts they are trying to sell?

Many breed clubs have Puppy Officers who have details of litters currently available.

Edited by KaseyC

Because Pet expos and Pet shops have different purposes. Why would pet shops try and talk you into buying a registered purebred when they have a window full of BYB mutts they are trying to sell?

Many breed clubs have Puppy Officers who have details of litters currently available.

It was just an idea;wouldn't it be nice if pet stores stopped selling animals and worked with breeders and rescue groups to promote responsible pet ownership.

Some recues are already setting up adoption centres in pet stores.Why can't breed clubs advertise or have information available through pet stores [ the ones that don't sell animals] The store could charge a price for an information pack about pure breed dogs or one about rescueing a dog and foster care.Many people are reluctant to contact a breed club because they know nothing about pure breed dogs, clubs or Puppy Officers.Armed with information they would be more confidant in approaching breeders.

I would like to see councils do this. Breeders,rescue, trainers, groomers, vets etc. This would tidy up many issues which hang around and allow people to have quick access to those who are listed - not necessarily recommended by the council. Cleans up any idea of an illegal puppy farmer being mentioned etc and allow members of the public to know straight away what their options are. If someone they are looking at for a puppy isnt listed to give them a wide berth etc.

At the moment they have some crazy ideas about this in the fear they would be seen to be recommending one over the other but its all about how its done. If all trainers in a shire can notify council where they are and council simply gives out this list then they cant be accused of recommending one over the other taking bribes etc .