Feedback On Melbourne Boarding Kennels, Especially Vern Ryan's Pet

HarperLee

Tks Mama Moocher - I was away for work. It was really productive and I was really brave - didn't email the kennels once while I was away. I was so tempted though. I told myself repeatedly (almost a mantra) that they would contact me if something was wrong and it would be good for to not obsess! When I picked them up I proudly told Vern Ryan's how I resisted the emails. They assured me if there were problems they would've contacted me...phew!

And on another matter - so happy to be back at my vet's Noel Smith Epsom Rd Vet in Ascot Vale (Melb). He's brilliant. So caring. He wanted to know how they all went in the kennels, the feedback - because he is genuinely interested in them and their welfare, but also he can recommend the kennels to other clients. A complete difference to Altona Vet who I tried because they are my local vet. Have been there a number of times, got Jem, my rescue kitten from them, and they can't remember my name or my babies names. Customer service is non-existent. :confused: Thank goodness for Noel! :thumbsup:

PS: do I worry about my babies?? never!! :)

Tks Mama Moocher - I was away for work. It was really productive and I was really brave - didn't email the kennels once while I was away. I was so tempted though. I told myself repeatedly (almost a mantra) that they would contact me if something was wrong and it would be good for to not obsess! When I picked them up I proudly told Vern Ryan's how I resisted the emails. They assured me if there were problems they would've contacted me...phew!

And on another matter - so happy to be back at my vet's Noel Smith Epsom Rd Vet in Ascot Vale (Melb). He's brilliant. So caring. He wanted to know how they all went in the kennels, the feedback - because he is genuinely interested in them and their welfare, but also he can recommend the kennels to other clients. A complete difference to Altona Vet who I tried because they are my local vet. Have been there a number of times, got Jem, my rescue kitten from them, and they can't remember my name or my babies names. Customer service is non-existent. :confused: Thank goodness for Noel! :thumbsup:

PS: do I worry about my babies?? never!! :)

I use Hobson's Bay vet clinic in Newport - http://www.hobsonsbayvet.com.au/. They are fantastic if you ever need something a bit closer to home.

Thanks for the recommendation. A friend also goes to them and recommends them highly. I've also heard the vet at Willy - Railway Pde (?) is good. Even Noel (Smith) my vet in Ascot Vale said it is good to have one close by for those unexpected emergencies.

Interestingly, I asked many dog owners around Altona parks - Apex Park, Dog Beach, etc - and no one gave Altona Vet a good rap. Common response was that they are too money focused. I'll spend if I get service, but I just wasn't feeling I was getting this. As an example. When I first arrived in Altona six months ago I took Kisho and Puppy to the vet so as to go through their history - both have health complications - Kisho has diabetes inspidus. I get Kisho's script from the vet but take it to the chemist as it is way cheaper to have it dispensed this way. I range up Altona Vet asking for a new script as I had run out and they said they had no record of him attending (even though he had been in) so they couldn't write the script even though they had his history from my previous vet in Canberra. They said I had to bring in back in for another check-up to get the script. I thought this was really poor. Phoned Noel Smith - who 'we' had also seen only once - he of course had a record and the records from Canberra. Not a problem writing the script and got it a few hours later.

I'm really happy with Noel. He used to be my vet about 20+years ago when I previously lived in Melbourne. Had looked after all my kiddies. There's been a 20 year absence, but it doesn't feel like it! His style is very similar to my wonderful vet in Canberra, Graeme Pearce at Manuka Vet Hospital. both dedicated vets who love animals and support mad pet owners like me!

From the recommendations though, I will certainly go to Hobsons Bay Vet for those emergencies. Tks again for the tip. :D

People assume because a vet is a vet, that he or she loves animals. Sadly not the case.

I am so glad that you have found Noel again, HL. It is an enormous weight of one's mind to know that you have a vet who is not only concerned about your animals, but appreciates how you feel yourself about your animals.

Love to you and your babies.

• 4 years later...

I do not trust these people.

We left our dogs with Vern Ryan over the holidays, and we paid for the 'penthouse' accommodation. When we asked if we could see where the dogs were staying, they flatly refused. They also refused to take a photo when we asked via email (during their stay) They also refused to show us the accommodation at pick up. It seems pretty clear to me that they were either heavily overbooked, or they just did not put our dogs in the accommodation that we paid for. They claimed the excuse that it "upsets the other dogs" - what a load of bull!

Especially when you consider this from Vern Ryan himself in an article in The Age: ''But it's an absolute must that you go and inspect it. No matter how good it sounds on the phone, get off your butt and have a look. I also like facilities where you don't have to ring for inspections, and where people will show you round the entire facility, not just the centrepiece. If someone won't show me round the whole place I wouldn't book my dog in.'' Well, Vern Ryan, you are not prepared to put your oney where your mouth is.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/far-from-a-dogs-life-when-holidays-for-pets-are-a-furrytail-20101218-191ds.html

If they were really providing what they are charging for, they would have shown us.

Look elsewhere if honesty is important.